Fusion 10mm CCO

This is a discussion on Fusion 10mm CCO within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That is one very nice gun I am very jealous I want in 10mm! Looking forward to the range report....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fusion 10mm CCO

That is one very nice gun I am very jealous I want in 10mm!
    Looking forward to the range report.

2. Remove Ads

That is a work of art. I know you have been waiting for it a LONG time. I sincerely hope it is everything you hoped for... If not you can always trade it in on a new Caddy (and the Caddy dealer will only have to give you a few grand in addition to the car...)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

The CCO is my favorite 1911 setup and now in 10mm....JUST WOW.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Great. Now men are laughing at me too....
    Why not... The women have been doing it for years...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Thank you again guys. It's actually shipping today I was told. Another day of waiting. What's one more right?

357-good thing there's no middle finger icon here. Lol
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

This is a rough review but I've tried to be as thorough as I can. If anyone has questions about something left out please ask.

First Impression

I opened the plastic case and immediately noticed the Ion Bond was different from any other finish I had seen on a firearm. The oil on portions of the slide and frame gave it almost a dark creamy look where the oil concentration was high. Other parts were wet, yet dry looking. The polished slide flats were almost reflective. One mag, manual, 22# and 24# recoil spring and allen wrenches included.

My eyes went immediately to the grip safety, checking for fit. Fusion has gotten alot of bad press due to varying opinions on its grip safety fit. I was pleased to say the least. The transition from black to silver is almost seamless from the sides and blended very well on the underside and flush on the top side. The pistol was dehorned nicely with no sharp edges to be found. I then checked the slide for fit with the frame. I tried to wiggle the slide back and forth over and over and was unable to get it to move...not even a smidgen. It is blended extremely well on the back side with the frame.

I then racked the slide and locked it back, using more strength to do so than I had anticipated. I inspected the barrel throat and frame ramp (non-ramped barrel) and everything looked good. Initial impression: impressed but still anxious to get inside of it and then go shoot it.

Internal inspection

One part that will be changed out is the two piece guide rod system. I will be purchasing a regular GI plug in the near future. I'm not a fan of bushing wrenches. I prefer to remove the bushing with my bare hands, but turning this one was a bit more difficult than others. The slide stop was difficult to remove. Very tight fit. Fusion had already cut a channel into the head of the slide stop to help with replacing it without scratching the frame. Barrel lockup in the slide was snug. Only did a field strip at this point, and everything looked good.

Range

I had initially planned to shoot a minimum of 700 rounds. I had my doubts about that many rounds knowing what I had to shoot and knowing how painful this could be. I purchased 100 rounds of Atlanta Arms FMJ (180 grain) from the range, and brought along 200 rounds or PRVI JHP (180 grain, low end velocity), and 250 rounds of Scottsdale HPR TMJ (180 grain, rated at 1275fps). I had planned to use my 45acp mags as I had done with my Kimber Stainless Target II 10mm. Before firing the gun I tried loading 4 different 45 acp mags loaded with 10mm rounds and the gun didn't want to accept them like the full size did. I decided to scrap the 45acp for this session. This left me 2 mags: Kimber full size and the supplied Officer mag from Fusion.

Started with Atlanta Arms ammo. Near the end of the first 100 rounds I had a failure to feed. The round dove into the bottom of the barrel above the frame ramp. This was the last round in the Kimber full size mag. This same thing happened again on round #155 (now shooting the hotter Scottsdale ammo), same mag, last round in the mag. I reported in my review of the Kimber STII that this same thing happened while firing that particular gun as well. Same mag in both guns. I was down to one mag that was trouble free (my ONLY mag at this point) and was stuck with it to finish the session. I made it through 95 more rounds of Scottsdale with no issues. 250 rounds total. Time to let it cool down.

I changed out the factory recoil spring (IIRC it is 20#) and replaced it with the 22#. I did this out of curiosity and also because my spent casings were flying all over the place with this hotter ammo. 50 more rounds of Scottsdale with no issues.

Time for the PRVI JHP's. When I say they are weak, I mean it. Going from 1275fps down to ~1000fps is like going from 9mm to 22lr. It was THAT different. Not to mention quite pleasant after the beating I had been taking in the webbing of my hand. There are bruises. This makes some of you happy I am sure.

150 rounds of PRVI and no issues. This is a very, very dirty round, and emits an impressive fireball at the muzzle. The others at the range had to be in awe of my fireballs. I'm up to 450 rounds, and ready to go 50 more Scottsdale rounds and call it a day. I made it through 22 rounds. I was done. Call me a wuss, but that was my limit for the day. It was no longer fun.

Accuracy

I am not as big a fan of 3-dot Novak night sights as I was when I placed the order for this pistol. I don't see well in low light as it is and these sights make it quite difficult for me. Heine straight-8's are much better and these will probably replace the Novak rear sight in the near future. The Atlanta Arms rounds fired at 10 yards were slightly off to the left. Scottsdale left and sometimes high by an inch or two. PRVI was dang near hitting where I pointed it. None of these rounds will be carry rounds so I plan to decide on what velocity/brand I want for carry and will test those rounds at a later date. I want to run ~500 more rounds through it using different mags to see how it does before trusting it for carry.

I plan to detail strip it tonight and see if there are any unusual wear marks anywhere and take photos if I see any.

Overall I am pleased. There is more testing to do and I look forward to it. Hopefully by the time I can get back to the range I will have normal feeling back in my hand.

Nice review and really honest i like that.

However;

" The others at the range had to be in awe of my fireballs."

Others should not be looking at your fireballs.
    357and40 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Nice review and really honest i like that.

However;

" The others at the range had to be in awe of my fireballs."

Others should not be looking at your fireballs.
    Lol. No they shouldn't.

Thank you again guys. It's actually shipping today I was told. Another day of waiting. What's one more right?

357-good thing there's no middle finger icon here. Lol
    I know you... you will skip the finger and try to go with the whole fist...

After writing the above I noticed you talking about bruises on the webbing of your hand... Too much alone time???
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I know you... you will skip the finger and try to go with the whole fist...

After writing the above I noticed you talking about bruises on the webbing of your hand... Too much alone time???
    You really do know me too well...in both cases.

Towards the end of the session it made the 360 feel like a soft 9.

nice watch. Come with the Fusion? I would have thought a guy that buys a custom 10mm Fusion would have at least a Rolex President.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    nice watch. Come with the Fusion? I would have thought a guy that buys a custom 10mm Fusion would have at least a Rolex President.
    Lol. Not hardly brother. I'd have to eat Ramen for a decade.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Lol. Not hardly brother. I'd have to eat Ramen for a decade.
    well at least you have your priorities straight. I'm the same way.....take my lunch and the money I save goes into the gun fund.....that always ends up in my daughters college checking account. Man I hope she finds a rich guy and graduates soon.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The difference between the Fusion & the 360: could you have made it through that many rounds with the 360 and still had a hand left?
    - Roy Batty

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links