Fusion 10mm CCO

This is a discussion on Fusion 10mm CCO within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 357and40 The difference between the Fusion & the 360: could you have made it through that many rounds with the 360 and ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fusion 10mm CCO

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    The difference between the Fusion & the 360: could you have made it through that many rounds with the 360 and still had a hand left?
    Good point.

Being determined to ride the semi auto hard kept me there longer as well.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

Thats's a very nice pistol! I'd love to have or even shoot one. I love the way a 1911 carries.

Quote Originally Posted by DUNDEM View Post
    Thats's a very nice pistol! I'd love to have or even shoot one. I love the way a 1911 carries.
    A CCO is the prefect balance of size and weight for carrying a 1911. The older Colt Lwt Commanders are dang near perfect, too.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Good point.

Being determined to ride the semi auto hard kept me there longer as well.
    That just sounds dirty
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

That's a good looking pistol.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Detail strip went well. No unusual wear marks. Slide stop pin is hitting the barrel legs evenly with no barrel bump markings on the pin or the lug. The lower barrel legs and lug are hitting squarely on the VIS with no unusual contact marks. Hammer and sear are mating perfectly as well. I decided to adjust the extractor tension to see if I could get the other mags to feed normally and cycling the loaded rounds it fed them and extracted them just fine. The range would tell the story.

I made two more trips to the range last Thursday and Friday. Shot 50 rounds of range ammo (Atlanta Arms) to start it off Thursday. Next mag was to be the PRVI I had left in my bag. I figured I would go ahead and finish the last 50 rounds I had left from the case I had purchased some months before. First round fired off just fine and the second round not so good. Double charged round. I felt a blast of hot powder come back all over my face. The recoil was violent to say the least. I immediately sat the gun on the range ledge and checked my hands for cuts, bleeding, fingers missing, etc. All looked to be OK. Felt OK as well. Wiped my face off a bit and looked at the gun. Left side grips split in two. Flipped it over. Right side grips split in two. Not knowing fully what had happened, I first tried to release the magazine and with some effort I was able to remove it. I found that all remaining rounds were at the bottom of the mag...the very bottom. One of the feed lips was bent inward as well. Worst thoughts were that the gun was ruined. I was OK so my attention went to the gun itself.

I then tried to rack the slide but was unable to move it back more than a quarter of an inch. I walked out to a table in the main area of the range and after some working the slide back and forth I could see the rim of the spent case between the barrel hood and the breech face. I was able to create enough space to get a small screwdriver head in and push the round downward towards the mag well. This worked and released the case. I racked the slide and locked it back.

The case was blown out completely across the bottom where the chamber is not supported. Now to the gun itself. I detail stripped it that night and found no damage anywhere. Bright lights and a magnifying glass found no stress cracks or markings of any kind. No barrel bulge. All pins, spring, parts in good shape. BIG relief.

With some apprehension I went back on Friday to see if everything was in good working order. I fired one round of Atlanta Arms ammo and everything felt normal. 100 rounds later she was still shooting just fine. 150 rounds of Scottsdale and everything is still fine. The only issue I had was the denting and gouging of the cases and erratic ejection patters with the more powerful Scottsdale ammo. After speaking to a good friend and accomplished gunsmith I took his advice and replaced the 22# recoil spring with the stock recoil spring, with the belief that the slide wasn’t cycling fast enough to clear the round of the barrel hood before it tried to eject it. I also took his advice and polished the barrel throat and frame feed ramp to a mirror shine. In addition I polished the underside of the barrel hood at the entrance of the chamber to aid in feeding. The extractor was tuned once again with several tests done with the slide off to get the tension exactly right.

Back to the range today. 100 rounds of Atlanta Arms and 50 rounds of Scottsdale. Today was just fun. Flat out fun. I had 30 minutes to go through what I had and I wish I could have spent another hour there shooting. Brass was going where it should and the cases were in great shape when they hit the floor. I checked as many cases as I could get to and they all looked fine.

The next step will be self-defense ammo. I ordered several boxes of Double Tap ammo and should have it next week. As soon as I can get to the range again I will see how she does with a good SD round. I do plan to try other brands but for now it will be the 180 grain DT’s advertised at 1305fps. Montana Gold tips.
    I was happy with my purchase before, but I am thrilled with it now. Some may say that I shouldn’t have had to tune anything, but with the 10mm, I have found that each load of ammo used can call for a different setup. I plan to run 180 grain rounds in the 1250-1350fps range from here on out, with the exception of the Atlanta Arms ammo I get from the range.

tested 180 grain 1305fps Nosler JHP Double Tap ammo Friday and all is well. These rounds feel loaded to claim based on recoil comparison with Scottsdale Ammo. Without a chrono I won't know for sure, but I can tell by feel these are just right.

After 100 boring rounds I decided to shoot my Colt Government in 45 acp. I laughed. I laughed out loud even. It had been a while since I'd shot 45 acp from a government model. It felt like a light 9mm. I thought maybe I had weak ammo, but it was 230 grain Federal HST ammo and I barely noticed any muzzle flip at all. The muzzle stayed on target with ease. That really opened my eyes to the power of the 10mm.

I now have a new EDC and it feels good to finally have it where it was meant to be.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links