Beretta Nano - Range Report

This is a discussion on Beretta Nano - Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a Beretta Nano this week, and today was range day. I was anxious to see how it performed. I had several rounds ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Beretta Nano - Range Report

Beretta Nano - Range Report

I picked up a Beretta Nano this week, and today was range day. I was anxious to see how it performed. I had several rounds of old 9mm ammo that I have had laying around for some time and one box of new ammo. Total rounds fired was 183. The last 50 rounds, I could tell that some fatigue was starting, so it's safe to say the Nano is not a 'shoot all day' gun, but that is not what I purchased it for.

The primary purpose for me today was to get rounds through the gun to get some confidence about it's reliability. Therefore, I didn't spend much time worrying about shot groupings. My wife was along as well and was shooting for the first time, so we just shared a target and lane so that I could stay with her. However, I did notice that I do tend to shoot the Nano a little low and to the left, so more practice time will be in order later.

First up was 50 rounds of PMC 115gr JHP. All 50 rounds fired without issues.

Next up was 83 rounds of Federal Premium 147gr subsonic hydrashock. All 83 rounds fired without issues.

At this point, I was feeling pretty good. 133 rounds down range with not one issue.

Next up was a new box of 50 rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ from Walmart, and this is where I got a little surprise. Of those 50 rounds, I had 5 FTE's. Since I had 133 flawless rounds prior to these 50, I'm going to chalk the FTE's up to low/poor quality ammo and mark them off the list for any future consideration. Has anyone else seen similar problems with this ammo?

While some more range time is in order, I was pretty happy with the performance. I purchased it for the form factor, weight, and concealability, and it fit the bill. As far as reliability, I think with good ammo, it will be fine.

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear you are happy with your new gun. Could a problem with the gun have anything to do with it getting dirty and or running dry? Did you pull the slide and wipe it down and oil it? What do you think of the trigger and general feel of the gun?
    Thanks for the post and if you can throw in some photo's.
    Frank.

I have a Beretta PX4 SC .40 cal (pic at left) that shoots anything I put thru her EXCEPT Federal. Had the same issue with Wal Mart .40's. Failure to eject for me as well. Have not used them since and have had no problems with WWB, Hornandy and PMC.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

Frank - Shouldn't be a dirty or dry condition with the gun. The first thing I did when I got it home was to field strip it and clean it to my specs. As far as the feel, as a compact 9, pretty good. The trigger pull is a bit long, but I am OK with it. I'll see if I can get some photo's later.

banddrich - Good to know that someone else saw the same thing on the Walmart Federals. I just had that gut feeling it was the ammo. While it didn't have a problem with the Federal Premium's, I just had that nagging feeling that the cheap stuff was the culprit. I've marked them off the list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    . . .Next up was a new box of 50 rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ from Walmart, and this is where I got a little surprise. Of those 50 rounds, I had 5 FTE's. Since I had 133 flawless rounds prior to these 50, I'm going to chalk the FTE's up to low/poor quality ammo and mark them off the list for any future consideration. Has anyone else seen similar problems with this ammo?. . .
    I have run about 2,450 rounds total through my M&P9c and all but 100 of those rounds were the Federal 115gr FMJ bought at Walmart. The other 100 were Remington Gold Saber Bonded +P 124gr JHP self defense rounds. I've had a total of 2 malfunctions using the Federal ammo. Nowhere close to a failure rate of 1/10.

Hope that helps,
    Doc

I've had some FTE issues withe the wally world federal 9mm also, my steyr just doesn't seem to like them

Administrator
    I have said it for years now. Never base the performance of any firearm on how well it functions with WalMart ammunition.

Question: You buy it because it is what?

Answer Comparatively Cheap.

Question: So...that makes it what?

Answer: Cheap Ammo.

Question: Why is it so cheap?

Answer: You figure it out.
    Philly Boy likes this.

im glad u had a good experience with it but that thing is ugly as sin!
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Congrats.. I'm very happy with my Nano I have 1,300 rounds thru it now no probs.... but I'm shooting (124gr rounds thru it) let me see if I post an update on mine.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Congratulations on the new pistol, and thanks for the range report.

That's odd, about the Walmart ammo..does Federal make ammo especially for Walmart? I have used Walmart ammo several times with no issues. I shot it through my Glocks, XDM, and a SIG P239 I used to have, no issues at all. I am going to buy some this week and use it in my new M&P9 Pro Series.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I never buy ammo at walmart.
    All my ammo is mailorder or bought at gunshows.

I have bought a bunch of Federal Pistol ammo and have never had problems.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

The barrel length has a lot to do with FTE when using lower quality ammo. The Nano has just at a 3" barrel which is very short for a semi-automatic pistol. Use that same low quality ammo in a gun with 3 1/2 inch barrel and it will cycle much more reliably because the bullet is in the barrel for longer time and builds up more pressure. I fired 2580 rounds through my Nano so far using various brands of ammo. I had 13 FTE. 10 of those FTE occured with Walmart purchased ammo WWB and Federal. No FTE using Federal classic JHP, Hyda-Shok, or Remington Golden Saber. During one range session I shot over 600 rounds of American eagle 124 grain FMJ and had one stove pipe. I like the Nano, It is built to handle .40S&W so it is very heavy duty for a 9mm pistol. Also, after shooting 2580 rounds the first round always fired. That is over 400 magazines and every time the first round fired.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    I picked up a Beretta Nano this week, and today was range day. I was anxious to see how it performed. I had several rounds of old 9mm ammo that I have had laying around for some time and one box of new ammo. Total rounds fired was 183. The last 50 rounds, I could tell that some fatigue was starting, so it's safe to say the Nano is not a 'shoot all day' gun, but that is not what I purchased it for.

The primary purpose for me today was to get rounds through the gun to get some confidence about it's reliability. Therefore, I didn't spend much time worrying about shot groupings. My wife was along as well and was shooting for the first time, so we just shared a target and lane so that I could stay with her. However, I did notice that I do tend to shoot the Nano a little low and to the left, so more practice time will be in order later.

First up was 50 rounds of PMC 115gr JHP. All 50 rounds fired without issues.

Next up was 83 rounds of Federal Premium 147gr subsonic hydrashock. All 83 rounds fired without issues.

At this point, I was feeling pretty good. 133 rounds down range with not one issue.

Next up was a new box of 50 rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ from Walmart, and this is where I got a little surprise. Of those 50 rounds, I had 5 FTE's. Since I had 133 flawless rounds prior to these 50, I'm going to chalk the FTE's up to low/poor quality ammo and mark them off the list for any future consideration. Has anyone else seen similar problems with this ammo?

While some more range time is in order, I was pretty happy with the performance. I purchased it for the form factor, weight, and concealability, and it fit the bill. As far as reliability, I think with good ammo, it will be fine.
    The only FTE I have had was with Blazer Brass 115 grain.I field stripped mine and used Break free CLP and a tooth brush.Should have done that before I shot it my first time.It's really getting smooth to shoot and a joy.No more 115 grain bullets for me.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    congrats on your new gun, I have a PX4c in 9mm it is very accurate and loves any ammo, I even makes it into my EDC cycle on occasion...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    congrats on your new gun, I have a PX4c in 9mm it is very accurate and loves any ammo, I even makes it into my EDC cycle on occasion...
    My next pistol will be another Beretta.The PX4 looks good.The wife picked up a Ruger SP101 today.What a beast of a little gun.It was cool to shoot.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links