The never ending journey to the perfect CCW.

This is a discussion on The never ending journey to the perfect CCW. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; THis is from a thread on our local forum. Its sorta babbling but feel free to follow if you will. For 10 years the only ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The never ending journey to the perfect CCW.

The never ending journey to the perfect CCW.

THis is from a thread on our local forum. Its sorta babbling but feel free to follow if you will.

For 10 years the only carry gun I owned was a 3913. Over the past year I have found myself in a never ending tailspin. I had a SP101 w/ 3" barrell to buy a Glock 19 because I had a 642 and a Glock 26. I sold the 642 to buy a CM9 later to trade the Glock 26 for a LCR w/CT grips. I guess Im now full circle and cant remember what I didnt like about the SP101. I am reconsidering buying another SP101. I am also considering selling the LCR just because I find myself carrying the CM9.Wow after typing all of this out I think I need an intervention. Does the perfect carry gun exist.

I really like my 19. I carry my CM9 when I need something smaller. I know a 21 isn't it anything physically bigger than my 19 gripwise won't fit my hand. I have considered a 1911 just because I've never owned one. I also considered another SP101. I want comfortable shooting magnums so I guess it wouldn't be different than my LCR. I've considered a k frame snub just because I was quite accurate with the one I had. Yeah you guessed it sold it. I guess its all part of the game.The perfect EDC would be a single stack the size of a the height and length of a Glock 26 due to appendix carry with a smooth crisp trigger. I don't like DA/SA. Striker fire seems spongy. Never could shoot my 26 well. I shoot my 19 fairly well. I understand "combat accuracy" but I also realize there may come a time an armadillo is at 25 yards that needs to die. I thinking maybe a 1911 in 9mm. Maybe not as a EDC but on days when I can carry a little more.

Then again on those days I can carry my 4" k frame which I do shoot quite well. Maybe a 2-3" k frame is the answer.If I could find a little smaller than a 19 that I could shoot as well as I shoot my 22A I would be perfct. Typing that what read was if I find a gun that the size of a 26 that feels like my 22A and I shoot it as much as I have my 22A I will have found the perfect gun.ve considered an M&P9C and lots of ammo. Focus 90% of my shooting and training on that single gun. Ive also thought of going back to my 642. I shot it well and cant imagine how much better I would be if I shot it more and maybe took Mr Ed Lovette's class next time he is in town. Then again I guess I have an LCR and could go the SP101 route. I just find a J frame at the limit of pocket carry and sometimes thats how I choose to carry.

Ive also thought of a CW9 or a 3953 which would be a lot like my 3913 but DAO. I think its funny my dad has a 2" Model 19 K frame and a 2" model 36 J frame my grandfather only a Model 49 neither have ever felt undergunned.I really think had I been more accurate with my 26 I would have found and settled at the one. At least that and the combo of my 19. I think if I was able to carry in the 4 o clock position daily I would be perfectly satisfied with my 19. However for more discreet carry I use appendix carry and find the 19 just a little long. I have thought that since I shot the K frame snub that I had quite well that maybe the S&W 19 & Glock 19 combo may be perfect for me. Then again if I found a 2" SP101 that would put me between the J and K frame. Ive just about (yeah right) decided to sell my LCR and devote my practice time to my 19 and CM9 and stay with that combo. I have never been satisfied with "combat accuracy". I find the CM9 and the 19 better than that and Im sure with range and carry time I could improve still.

Then todayWell looks like I am adding a M&P9C. I really liked my M&P fullsize it was just a little larger than I cared for. I figure the 9C will fall size wise between the 26 and the 19. The M&P fits my hand better which I feel will lead to better shooting. Worse case scenario I get it shoot a new toy and will have an excuse to buy and sell for something else in a few months. Eventually I see my carry rotation going to 9C and CM9 for carry and selling my LCR and getting a 637 or 642 for pocket carry
    Last edited by JD; January 21st, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

2. Remove Ads

You are one mixed up dude! Why don't you just keep what you got, add to the collection and carry whatever you feel like carrying that day. That way you'll stop losing all that money trading guns and buying them again.
    RockStrongo likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I scanned the OP, but my head started to spin a bit. Somewhere, I gleaned that you have a g19, and had a g26.. but traded that away because you didn't shoot it well? That sounded like a good combo to me. I suggest hanging on to stuff and building a collection, as did tkruf. Personally, I like the SP101 that you mention too.

Paragraphs are your friend.

That is one intimidating wall o'words.
    DocPMD and Eaglebeak like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Ah, thanks for the story...
    I agree with RS above, the G-19, the G-26, and the SP101 should have been keepers, but we all move around the firearm makers and models...we have to figure out what works best for us.
    I've only had my CCW permit for a dozen years, but I've had firearms for 50+ years. I would have to say that the destination is not as interesting as the 'journey.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; January 22nd, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
    Eaglebeak likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    You need a Sig.

My first carry was a Smith & Wesson 38 special (model 638). I purchased a XDm compact 9mm, a Smith & Wesson 9c, and the wife for Christmas got me a Bodyguard 380. I have also a M&P 45, a 1911, etc, etc, etc. I never traded in a gun unless you just have money to waste. I have as you can see several carry guns & I switch up based on what I'm wearing or feeling!!!
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    You need a Sig.
    Yeah, that's right, get another make/model caught up in the mix. LOL He's confused enough already.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Wow!

Maybe you should try a Ruger Vaquero.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ahh, grasshopper...perfection comes from within;
    that which we hold in our hands are but tools
    often imperfect such that with our minds and
    with our hands---we may put them right.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Original thread HERE

It's not as bad as the OP sounds in this thread. He put all of his posts from the whole thread in one post.
    camsdaddy likes this.

My suggestion as far as ergonomics goes is the Taurus PT111 milenium pro in 9mm. Mine is an absolute breeze to carry. It is light, small, slim, has good capacity at 12+1, has never had a failure to do anything but go bang when I've asked it to, and feels very nice in the hand.
    There are those that will talk down the Taurus brand. I can't speak to anyone elses experiences but my own and my 3 Taurus pistols have been flawless right out of the box. If you are comfortable with carrying a Taurus like this after vetting it with an appropriate number of rounds of your favorite defensive ammo it could prove to be a nice carry piece. The ergonomics are outstanding. At the very least, it's not terribly expensive to rule out either.

Whatever you get, practice often with it. Learn it and enjoy it. It's nice to have the confidence of a carry weapon that you shoot well.
    highonroof likes this.

Camsdaddy: thanks for the read ! It gave me a great laugh ! It is true that sometimes we needlessly drive ourselves crazy looking for just the "right gun". Yet it does give us an excuse to build a carry rotation........ie. purchase some fantastic guns and practice with them regularly.....errr,I mean own 27 + handguns and thousands of rounds of ammo. Whatever............
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Let's cut through all of your massive confusion and total indecision.

Sell all of your guns and listen to no further opinions from anyone.

Start carrying only a knife and a hand grenade.

Crap! That was just another opinion - and there are sooooooo many different knives and grenades to choose from.

Nevermind....

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Natural progression IMO.

For me, it was PF9, then CW40, M&P40c, Glock 29, S&W 457 and now a 1911 CCO. I plan to eventually try a commander and then a government size 1911. Main carry will be 1911 from here on, but I also acquired a small snubbie for BuG and other carry situations.

I think anyone serious about carrying will go through this type of confusion and progression.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links