How safe is a Rohrbaugh

How safe is a Rohrbaugh

This is a discussion on How safe is a Rohrbaugh within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two questions for you guys. First I am new to owning a handgun and I am carrying a 1911 Kimber Ultra CDP and one of ...

Thread: How safe is a Rohrbaugh

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

How safe is a Rohrbaugh

Two questions for you guys.

First I am new to owning a handgun and I am carrying a 1911 Kimber Ultra CDP and one of the things I like about it is all the safeties. I am looking for a carry weapon for my wife and when I look at the Kahr's and some of the other smaller framed guns they don't have safeties and that scares me.

So now I am looking at the Rohrbaugh and it looks like a nice weapon and well made but is it safe for my wife to carry in her purse, or the glove compartment of the car?

The other question I have is how much are they I can't find a price anywhere.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

JT,

I do not own a Rohrbaugh but I really like the looks of the little gun. There are a few on this board that own one and speak highly of them.

Chris? Are you there? :)

From what I've heard they run just under $1000.

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I have one and paid about $895 (a year or so ago) give or take. The little gun has a nice long smooth double action trigger pull, so I would say it is as safe as a revolver would be. Get a holster that covers the trigger and you are all set. There are no manual safeties.

One word of caution though, if your wife isn't in to shooting that much or is new to shooting this is not a gun for her. It has sharp recoil. With the smooth and small grip it can be work to control it. Just something to keep in mind before you drop that kind of money on something she will hate.

It is a very well made gun and fits its niche in my carry repertoire perfectly.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocnerd View Post
    ... The little gun has a nice long smooth double action trigger pull, so I would say it is as safe as a revolver would be. Get a holster that covers the trigger and you are all set. There are no manual safeties.
    +1.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Assistant Administrator
    Rocnerd about covers it - and yes, expensive fella's and sharp recoil too - but with proper technique well manageable. They are not recreational guns - very much a carry speciality.

Safety is to me a non-issue. Meaning - this is a DAO gun with a longish trigger pull - but butter smooth 7# and so a joy to use but it'll take a lot of serious carelessness to get even close to unsafe.

Frames now are very dark grey - mine is quite an early one - oh and - grips now no longer CF but coming out made of G-10.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I assume a sharp recoil means it kicks pretty bad??

Is the only difference between the R9 and R9S that the S has sights, and do they help much or is this mostly a point and shot gun?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Assistant Administrator
    Timmy - the sightless version has been dropped IIRC - so in fact they are all R9s - the uptake on sightless was I think very low but no doubt as a special order the rudimentary sights could be machined off.

I could live without sights for sure - after all we are talking pretty much ''bad breath'' ranges. That said, I do not find the sights any disadvantage and they are there if needed.

No - it does not ''kick bad'' - it is after all just 9mm std pressure. Better to say it is sharp and snappy and so not overly comfortable for high thruput - as indeed also would be case with P3AT. The result of small gun, small grips, and lowish weight - mine is 17 ounces all loaded up ready to go.

As I said tho - totally controllable with proper technique. If you haven't looked yet - see link in my sig line for my R9 FAQ site - it covers quite a few aspects and some of the problems that have occurred over time.
    Chris - P95

Administrator
    The smaller the physical size of any firearm...the greater the caliber & the less weight and...."gun" there is to hold onto...the stiffer the actual and felt recoil.

So the small, cute, light, "petite" and easy to carry firearm...is not usually the best choice for an inexperienced female.

Don't get me wrong...a tiny, light, heavier caliber firearm is absolutely great IF she never has to actually shoot it.

I am not saying that females (in general) cannot handle small, lightweight, stiffer caliber handguns...just be warned that there is no such thing as a free ride when it comes to felt recoil.

It's always a compromise and a trade~off selection.
    You should be looking for the heaviest, largest, maximum caliber that she would be willing to lug around every day and shoot decently accurately.

You need to balance the weight, size, and caliber against what she'll shoot effectively and also be willing to cart around with her on a daily basis.

Just my opinion on that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

P95Carry, as a Rohrbaugh owner, could you elaborate on the following:
    Frames now are very dark grey - mine is quite an early one - oh and - grips now no longer CF but coming out made of G-10.
    Specifically, is the one pictured the dark grey?

What is CF? Carbon Fiber I assume. What is G-10? What does this change mean in terms of functionality and appearance of the grips?

Further, some time back I read of the Rohrbaughs having problems, specifically not reliable. Rather than a report somewhere else, I'd like your personal opinion on the reliability issue. Has that been corrected by now?

I've seriously considered one since their release, but saw early reports and dropped the idea. Maybe it's time to reconsider.

THANKS.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; August 22nd, 2006 at 01:34 PM.

Timmy, I strongly recommend that you reconsider.

Small guns like that HURT when you shoot them. They are also hard to shoot accurately. Your wife will NOT like shooting it.

Small guns like this are NOT for inexperienced shooters.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    JT,

I do not own a Rohrbaugh but I really like the looks of the little gun. There are a few on this board that own one and speak highly of them.

Chris? Are you there? :)

From what I've heard they run just under $1000.

Ron
    That wasn't "JT" who asked, that was "TJ". Get is straight.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Assistant Administrator
    Specifically, is the one pictured the dark grey?

What is CF? Carbon Fiber I assume. What is G-10? What does this change mean in terms of functionality and appearance of the grips?

Further, some time back I read of the Rohrbaughs having problems, specifically not reliable. Rather than a report somewhere else, I'd like your personal opinion on the reliability issue. Has that been corrected by now?
    Jimmy - The one in pic as actually my second and yes the frame is a sorta dark grey, slightly brownish tinge too. The first which is now a safe queen was the silver frame - in fact I'll add a pic of the pair for you. The Conmpany now works out of Deer park NY but these were from their first factory in Farmingdale NY.

CF yes - sorry! Carbon Fiber. It has become way too costly and in fact, tho I have no pic on hand (may be one on their site - http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/ ) I personally like the G-10 grips - very tough and durable and I fancy slightly nicer to hold. Functionally I'd say, an improvement. I did add grip tape to my #2 to improve hold - it helps a lot.

Re problems - well yes there have been some - tho I guess really putting things into perspective (instance top end 1911's at times even) - all guns can have a percentage of early troubles. The gun can be picky on ammo and so one needs to find its best choice for SD.

Customer service has been and is exceptional - and even thinking on it, there have been a few folks who for want of a better definition - simply did not get on with the gun one way or another.

Limp wristing is a no no - tho one handed shooting is well easy if grip is right. Some people do not I think get on with small semi's - and probably it is a tad harsh for some ladies. IMO tho technique is everything.

In my sig line is a link to my FAQ site and also the R Forum - worth exploring if you want extra info on the good and the bad. The gun is without doubt a cutting edge piece - pretty hard to get a 9mm this small. I only shoot mine occasionally now - but it works great for me and I am well at ease when rarely it has to primary.

Chris - P95

Timmy:

Your specific question appears to be well answered already, so I'll add an idea at the risk of going off thread.....I'd find a range with a good selection of rental guns, and let your wife try a bunch of different ones. That way she'll be involved in the selection based on her pistol techniques, hand size, grip strength, and ability to do things like rack the slide, etc. There are a lot of women here that post, and they'll have some ideas I'd guess, as well as a few of us with spouses that shoot. All might have different ideas.

Choosing a weapon is a personal matter in many cases, so I thought I'd throw in my .02 FWIW. Good luck!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I would suggest you take her to the range and let her try several weapons. I would start with something like a Lady Smith and Wesson Revolver. You may be surprised at what she can handle and likes. One thing about women shooters is they don't have a closed mind or macho thing going on at the range, and they are very open to listening and learning. Good Luck..
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Just a note on reliability; I carry mine, as most do with this little gun, via pocket carry. I had been carrying this to work daily and so it would spend weeks on end coated in lint in my pocket. I would take it to the range with me every month or two. I wouldn't clean it before hand, just shoot it as is. I would normally put two to four magazines full of Gold Dot 124's through it and then switch to something else. I have never had a FTF or FTE. After the session I would clean and lube as per manufacturers suggestions and back into the pocket or safe until another couple months.

Sponsored Links