Walther PPK for weak wrist?

This is a discussion on Walther PPK for weak wrist? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having been deprived of material goods as a child, my dad has poor impulse control when buying things. This has led to a whole bunch ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gene83

Thread: Walther PPK for weak wrist?

Walther PPK for weak wrist?

Having been deprived of material goods as a child, my dad has poor impulse control when buying things. This has led to a whole bunch of crap in his house with As Seen on TV logos. It has also led to some really awesome things like remote control helicopters and my Glock 22 he can't use due to having a weak wrist from having it shattered earlier in his life. In his teenage years, he was really into the James Bond books and later on, the movies. He was at a gun store the other day and picked up a used Walther PPK (S&W made) in .380. The guy behind the counter convinced him his wrist could handle it. I was pretty doubtful until I got to hold it and was surprised at its hefty weight, so I have hope.

He was only back in town for a day so we didn't get to go to the range and it will be a couple weeks before he is home again. If you are familiar with the PPK, I'd like your opinions on it, especially regarding recoil.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While not familiar with the PPK, I am familiar with guns that were made based on the design. Considering the weight of the gun and the caliber, the recoil should be mild. I would stay away from +P rounds with it. Standard pressure rounds shouldn't be a problem.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    You can install a lighter weight aftermarket Wolff recoil spring if you need to.

I've got one. I don't find the recoil all that bad, but being a blowback design, it doesn't tolerate "limp-wristing" at all.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I've got one. I don't find the recoil all that bad, but being a blowback design, it doesn't tolerate "limp-wristing" at all.
    Yep...exactly what I was going to say.

The blowback design is not for those with weak wrists...IMO, he's probably better off with a revolver.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Yep...exactly what I was going to say.

The blowback design is not for those with weak wrists...IMO, he's probably better off with a revolver.
    an older ( well, it rather has to be...) S&W 38 I frame.
    has about the same power as a 380 and at least as much cool factor.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

The PPK isn't what he wants. I'm another vote for a S&W snubbie. If the Glock was a no go, he will not like the PPK, and it certainly won't like him.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    The PPK isn't what he wants. I'm another vote for a S&W snubbie. If the Glock was a no go, he will not like the PPK, and it certainly won't like him.
    Have him try a SIG P238 or Colt Mustang. I own both a PPK/S and a P238. The P238 is much much more pleasant to shoot with the same ammo than the PPK/S, and smaller and easier to conceal.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Links