QUESTIONS re. 357 SIG

This is a discussion on QUESTIONS re. 357 SIG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for input on the 357 Sig caliber: compared to 9mm , 40. Pluses, minuses. Any info. helpful as I try to decide whether or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: QUESTIONS re. 357 SIG

QUESTIONS re. 357 SIG

Looking for input on the 357 Sig caliber: compared to 9mm , 40. Pluses, minuses. Any info. helpful as I try to decide whether or not to give this caliber a closer look. Many thanks!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

Getting a Sig P229. 9mm or .357sig?

Check this out. I ended up with 9mm.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I've never fired it, but if the Secret Service is using it to protect our President I would say it was a good round. I'm assuming they did some extensive research on the round before they picked it for their agents.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Previous posts on this topic:
    S&W M&P 1
    S&W M&P 2

Carjacking (interesting)
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    only the 125gr bullet in the 357 SIG has the same velocity as a 125gr 357 Magnum from a revolver ( same relative bbl length)
    so make all your comparisons off of that fact.

many 40 models will accept a 357 Sig bbl swap. usually the same magazine and bbl spring
    one reason this works is cause the 357 Sig is a bottle necked 40 S&W case.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    I just posted in another thread running concurrently with yours, pertaining to .357 sig
    Heres that thread
    357 sig
    Last edited by oneshot; January 22nd, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I am a big fan of the .357 sig. The more I shoot it and read about it the more I trust it.
    I carry this everyday: Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 357 Sig :: 357 Sig 147 gr XTP®
    and am very confident that it will fill my needs very effectively.

I also own and am very comfortable with these: http://www.shopcorbon.com/Self-Defen...20/100/Product
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

She's a honey. Mine recoils easier than my 40. Very accurate. Ammo will cost. Kinda loud. But I love mine. My preferred carry gun.

Yep, the 357 SIG is great. More fun to shoot than my .40. Snappy recoil and louder than the .40. Flatter trajectory than the .40. Plus the necked down case just looks cool. Sure, they make some hot +P 9mm but I'm sticking to the 357 SIG.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I am a big fan of the .357 sig. The more I shoot it and read about it the more I trust it.
    I carry this everyday: Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 357 Sig :: 357 Sig 147 gr XTP®
    and am very confident that it will fill my needs very effectively.

I also own and am very comfortable with these: 357 Sig 125gr CORBON Self-Defense JHP | COR®BON/Glaser Self Defense | Dakota Ammo

agree with AZ 100%. While I don't carry a .357SIG every day, I ususally have my Glock 33 somewhere close.....24/7 as a bug to the 9mm Glock. Great round and a lot of fun to shoot......and expensive.

my carry loads are the same as AZ's. :

This is not yo' Daddy's .357 snubbie.

AZJD1968 and Philly Boy like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I'd rather have a couple more rounds of 9mm with less recoil for follow-up shots than the supposed edge that the .357SIG may or may not give.

But that's just me.

Zonker: Liked your G33 frame so much I'm having my G26 Duracoated in that color--- or as close as my guy can get to it. Thanks!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Buds was having a closeout on the .357 SIG OD Green Glocks last year about this time at a price that was too good to pass up. Buds recently had a G19 OD green
    used for almost twice what I paid for the new ones. Who knew that a color could turn a gun into a collector's items?

Philly Boy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

There's a lot of good stuff about the .357Sig on-line. Here's an old article with a lot of stuff. Especially a section about repeat shots being made faster than a 9mm or .40SW by pro-shooters.
    HandGunInfo.com: 357SIG: 357 Sig and 9mm Comparison

I think an important factor is ammo cost and your budget. I cheat by having both a Glock G19 and G32. Both are same size guns so grip, sight picture, and trigger pull are almost the same. So when I make it out to the range, I'll shoot a bunch of 9mms out of the G19 first to work on fundamentals and a rhythm, then finish with .357Sigs out of the G32 until I feel good about it.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Just my opinion, FWIW...

The difference in terminal ballistics between a .40 and a .357 Sig is negligible. The .357 has an edge over the 9mm. I prefer a .45ACP to any of 'em.

My main objection to the .357 Sig is ammo price, availability, and selection. Not knocking the .357 Sig round, but I've got 9's, .40's, and .45's already, and personally, I wouldn't add another caliber to fill a need that doesn't exist.

All the analysis goes out the window if you shoot one & find you really, really like it! Then you buy it!

Regards,
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links