Defensive Carry banner

357 sig

4K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  C hawk Glock 
#1 ·
I am looking at getting a SIG I want a SC with knockdown power. I'm a big guy 6'1 200 lbs, can handle any caliber well. I wanted to know what the. If difference is between 357 SIG and .45 ACP I've been looking at the P250 in both calibers. Any experiences and info would be appreciated

#2 ·
similar thread is ongoing---

but think of the sig as a 357 magnum ( revolver) as concerns bullet performance.

though the recoil in a semi, the 357 sig is much less intense than in a same weight revolver
it is muchly perceived as fast and snappy rather than the longer push of a 45acp.

due to the smaller diameter of the sig case, you may get one more round in the same size grip than a 45 does.

#5 ·
I'm a big fan of the .357Mag 125gr JHP. Used to carry an S&W M66 years and years ago. I'm one of those who sides more with the high velocity smaller bullet crowd. I prefer having the added penetration capability compared to a .45acp. I used to carry a Colt Gold Cup at times and liked those big bullets but my thinking changed to wanting a cartridge to be able to cover all scenarios (i.e cars). There's a lot of good data/history of the stopping power of the .357mag 125gr JHP in actual shootings. But since hi-cap semis of light weight and compact size came out, I have ended up with a Glock G32. I also got an extra barrel in .40SW for a little over $100 and added a Wolff recoil spring assembly. Very controllable once you get used to it and does not recoil anything like a .357mag in a 4" revolver.

I do own a Sig (P226) so not biased against Sigs. Have not handled a P250 but I'm not sure if the subcompact or compact models are available in .357Sig. I know the full size model offers it.

For subcompact carry, I kind of think of very deep concealment use and guns of towards .380 size (I use a Seecamp but only had .32 at the time I bought). I also think some manufacturers label guns as subcompact without regard to actual dimensions. Have to compare different guns at the store at the same time for a real good evaluation. I think gun thickness is a major concealment factor. Slight increases in overall gun height and length are not much more difficult to conceal and especially if you're 6'1". A single column mag gun will hide better if you don't mind giving up capacity. If you want a Sig in something really small, might consider the P290 (9mm) loaded with good 9mm ammo as a deep concealment compromise.

#6 · (Edited)
I have no experience with the round, but am a fan of it from what I've read.
I believe it is better than what the naysayers are giving it credit for.
I think its better than 9mm+p, equal to, or better than the .40 & .45.
You have to go to 9mm+p+ to achieve the performance, but then you are subjecting your 9mm frame pistol to the rigors and abuse of running the hot rounds through it.

Here are some of the readings I've stumbled upon to base my assumptions on.

.357 SIG | Shooting Illustrated

http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell_357Sig.htm

And finally this one, which has a great wealth of info in it:
HandGunInfo.com: 357SIG: 357 Sig and 9mm Comparison

#7 ·
I shot my son's Sig in .357 Sig (Don't remember the model) and while it did seem a bit louder, I really didn't notice much in the way of increased recoil. He had the same ammo the Air Marshals carry. If the ammo weren't so expensive, I wouldn't mind having one myself. But with 2 .45 ACPs and a 9mm, I can't justify the need, just the want.

#8 ·
I carry a HK P2000SK in 357 sig. with either Winchester Ranger T-Series 125gr or Double Tap 147gr. Great weapon and round. My son a N-NV Leo carries a .45 acp and he is happy with that round. As far as take down power, either one with proper shot placement will do the job. You get a few more rounds with the 357 sig and you can get a 40 sw barrel for range time. :hand10: The 40 sw just drops into the slide on most Sig pistols.

My 9mm I use +P+ to get almost the energy of a 357 sig. That is if the weapon can handle the +P+!

I don't think you can go wrong with either, although some will say the heavy bullets on the 45 acp will win out! :wave:

#9 ·
I have a Sig 250 compact (they do not make the 45 in a subcompact) in 45 ACP, and Sig 250 Subcompact in 40 cal. The subcompact is my every day carry. To me the push of a 45 snap of a 357/40 is way exaggerated.

I think the biggest challenge for you might be the long double action trigger of the 250. For years, I shot double action revolvers in steel plate competitions so the transfer to the Sig was easy. The Sig trigger is like butter; much smoother and lighter than any revolver....I'm comparing it to a S&W that had 10K rounds and was worked on.

As for caliber, as mentioned above I don't believe there is a man stopper pistol caliber, but rather shot placement is most important. I am very comfortable with my Sig 250 in 40 cal. but would be equally comfortable with a 9mm.
Each of my 250s have been flawless, and you can't go wrong with either..........but I would lean towards 45 ACP based on availability and cost.

#10 ·
I have a Sig 250 compact (they do not make the 45 in a subcompact) in 45 ACP, and Sig 250 Subcompact in 40 cal. The subcompact is my every day carry. To me the push of a 45 snap of a 357/40 is way exaggerated.
I agree if correctly pushing the gun to the target when possible. I am 125 pounds with small joints but shoot all three of these cartridges with no problem with follow up.

#15 ·
Well, I'm probably not the guru you were expecting, but the OP needs to consider ammo cost (about 4x the cost of 9mm and 3x the cost of 45 per ammoengine.com) and general ammo availability.

#13 ·
357 sig is very similar to the 40cal. A bit louder and the recoil is a slight bit more if not the same. It is a formidable round.

Practice ammo I get from Georgia arms for around $16 for 50 rounds. (factory reloads).

I have the M&P compact and I can easily change over to 40 cal just by simply changing out the barrel. I like that it was made to shoot 357sig at higher pressures and stepping down to 40 cal would not be a problem. I question whether how many 40 cal can safely step up to 357sig. I know that many of the 9mm are NOT designed to shoot +p.

I say do it right or don't do it at all.

#14 ·
I have the M&P compact and I can easily change over to 40 cal just by simply changing out the barrel. I like that it was made to shoot 357sig at higher pressures and stepping down to 40 cal would not be a problem. I question whether how many 40 cal can safely step up to 357sig.
Are you saying that there is a difference between the .40 and .357 sig in the S&W M&P compact frames? I think that it's the same frame.

#16 ·
I've been doing more research and pretty much nixed the idea of 357 sig. I have a .40 S&W and think i have decided to get a 9 mm for everyday carry, Ill get the 357 eventually but in a revolver and magnum vice SIG

#24 ·
S&WM&P357Sig with Crimson Trace Laser Grip is my Everyday Carry weapon and is very controllable. If you do not have problems with the 40S&W you will not have problems with the 357Sig. Since I shoot the M&P357Sig pretty well I would not have any reservations about it's ability to stop someone from attacking me if I place my shots COM. Concealed Carry for self defense is really all about Stopping the Threat and that's it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.