357 sig - Page 2

357 sig

This is a discussion on 357 sig within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been doing more research and pretty much nixed the idea of 357 sig. I have a .40 S&W and think i have decided to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 357 sig

I've been doing more research and pretty much nixed the idea of 357 sig. I have a .40 S&W and think i have decided to get a 9 mm for everyday carry, Ill get the 357 eventually but in a revolver and magnum vice SIG
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p3at View Post
    Well, I'm probably not the guru you were expecting, but the OP needs to consider ammo cost (about 4x the cost of 9mm and 3x the cost of 45 per ammoengine.com) and general ammo availability.
    Not really....if you factor in the performance difference. If you try to approximate .357 Sig energy velocity with 9mm, you'll have to buy +P or +P+ which it is as expensive or more.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Well, I'm probably not the guru you were expecting, but the OP needs to consider ammo cost (about 4x the cost of 9mm and 3x the cost of 45 per ammoengine.com) and general ammo availability.
    You need to find a better place to buy ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    You need to find a better place to buy ammo...
    i'm sitting here and laughing at the prices you guys pay for ammo as i reload my 45acp

Me too, Scorpionsf, as I reload 357 sig, 9mm, and 45acp
    MIA/POW , Bring em home or Send us back

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    Not really....if you factor in the performance difference. If you try to approximate .357 Sig energy velocity with 9mm, you'll have to buy +P or +P+ which it is as expensive or more.
    And you'll have to use a lighter bullet. On average the .357 is 200fps faster. Some say that it crosses the line where pistol rounds are only good for punching
    holes. They say the .357 adds additional wounding or stopping power due to hydrostatic shock commonly associated with rifle rounds. That's not to say the
    .357 is in the same class as rifles. But that it gains some of those properties because it can reach (what I believe is the threshold) speeds between 1350 and
    1450fps with a 125gr. bullet. That's 357 magnum class right there.

Now as to the Sig P250, I had one in 40cal, compact model. It came with a extra .357Sig barrel. (buds guns) It fit my hand like a glove. Night sights, trigger like a tuned competition revolver. I had to sell it, killed me to do it. The trigger is smooth but looooong. And that killed it's usability with me. It consistently shot 3 to 5 inches low. I tried all the recommended ideas as to grip, trigger control and correct sight picture to no avail. It had the correct sights on it. (I checked)
    If only they shortened that trigger it would be great. If you look at the P250 forums a lot of people had the same problem. That's why the initial price quickly
    went from $600 to as low as $350 in many places. Sig Sauer P250 40S&W 14 + 1 Capacity w/Night Sights/Black $388.00

You may want to consider the Sig SP2022 instead.
    Last edited by mrwonderful; January 25th, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
    “Our lives come from God. So does our right to defend them”
    There is only one gun law in this country, the 2nd Amendment. All else is bureaucratic nonsense that I choose to comply with or not at my discretion.

Fiocchi .357Sig 124gr FMJ for $19.95/box of 50 for practice rounds at FMJ Ammo : Ammunition To Go

With this round, just have to stock up when the price is right. I got lucky before the shortages and price jumps the past 1-2yrs, I picked up a bunch of Speer Lawman 125gr FMJ for $16 a box to last for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    +1. Not only that, the .357Sig guns are built for those operating pressures so you can practice with what you will actually carry. I wouldn't routinely shoot 9mm +P+ (or even +P) out of a 9mm.

I'm a .357Sig fan, but I still use a Glock in 9mm for inside the house defense at night (less noise and flash). I can afford the .357Sig chambering and just like having a cartridge with the ballistics of a .357Magnum for CCW (i.e. roadtrips, backwoods carry) in a compact hi-cap semi. Also fun to shoot.

S&WM&P357Sig with Crimson Trace Laser Grip is my Everyday Carry weapon and is very controllable. If you do not have problems with the 40S&W you will not have problems with the 357Sig. Since I shoot the M&P357Sig pretty well I would not have any reservations about it's ability to stop someone from attacking me if I place my shots COM. Concealed Carry for self defense is really all about Stopping the Threat and that's it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    If you are looking for knock down power you are not going to find that with either of those rounds. You need to look at a shotgun. Both are great rounds and proven, but 3 9mm rounds to the bread maker will achieve the same results as a 45 or 357sig.
    So are you saying that .357 Sig and .45 ACP have three times the knock down power?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links