HELP!!! Trying to decide!!! 26's, 27's, Nano's, and P290s oh my!

HELP!!! Trying to decide!!! 26's, 27's, Nano's, and P290s oh my!

This is a discussion on HELP!!! Trying to decide!!! 26's, 27's, Nano's, and P290s oh my! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in the 9mm version. With warmer weather around the corner, I will be forced into my normal ...

View Poll Results: You choose for me!

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beretta Nano

15 21.43%
  • Glock 26

37 52.86%
  • Glock 27

9 12.86%
  • Sig Sauer P290 Black Diamond Plate

9 12.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: HELP!!! Trying to decide!!! 26's, 27's, Nano's, and P290s oh my!

Question HELP!!! Trying to decide!!! 26's, 27's, Nano's, and P290s oh my!

I currently carry a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in the 9mm version. With warmer weather around the corner, I will be forced into my normal summer getup… Cargo Shorts and a University of Kentucky t-shirt (GO CATS :D). That being said… I need something a little more concealable. I have narrowed it down to a few pistols:

Glock 26:
    The idea of having another 9mm is nice… no need to have multiple ammo.

Glock 27:
    A little more "bang" for my buck.
    (the negative of these two is that they are a little wide (like my PX4) so I worry about concealment.

Beretta Nano:
    Thinner gun, more concealable, and I love my current beretta, but the idea of not having a slide stop and having to use a screw driver to strip it, really turn me off.

Sig P290 Black Diamond Plate:
    Small, concealable and it looks bad to the bone…

I have shot the 26 and like the feel. I am a big boy so the thought of a little more kick does not scare me. Aside from that… I have no idea what to do now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    Logan

The Glock-26 is a great choice and will work from the same ammo pile.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    all but the P290 get my vote......P290 is a dud IMO

G26,9mm(no need for diffrent ammo) reliability,magazine availability(can carry G17 mags as back-up,or if need be 33round,dependind on your circumstances.)

I don't own any of the above, but I've made the decision to start saving for a G27 for 1 main reason. I believe it would be the best "survival pistol" if anything ever went sideways.

With the addition of a 9mm conversion barrel ('be like having 2 pistols), the 27 would be able to accept mags and ammo from *any* Glock 9 or .40. Taking into account that most (I believe...correct me if I'm wrong) LE agencies are issued Glocks, and that it's extremely popular among civilians, I think that it would be the most likely to "come across" for ammo, mags and parts.

I might keep S&Ws for "every-day" situations, but I'm thinking a 27 (and conversion) is going into my BOB.

I also have a number of friends who EDC a 27 and, if I didn't know better, I wouldn't ever see it print....and I'm in FL.

Best of luck, regardless! All your options seem sound.
    I think I should be able to claim my guns as dependents on my taxes. I have to clothe them, feed them, clean them when they get dirty, keep them safe from bad people...

can a Nano or SIG do this???

Guest1 and genauwiedu like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

You do realise that the G27 is a .40,the G26 is 9mm,they have diffrent ejectors,just open them to slide lock and take a look,stick with a G26,more 9mm ammo in the world than any other pistol caliber(except for .22).and why would you want to carry that extra barrel,magazine,thats just junk taking up ammo room,"think about it"
    Quote Originally Posted by chefjon View Post
    I don't own any of the above, but I've made the decision to start saving for a G27 for 1 main reason. I believe it would be the best "survival pistol" if anything ever went sideways.

With the addition of a 9mm conversion barrel ('be like having 2 pistols), the 27 would be able to accept mags and ammo from *any* Glock 9 or .40. Taking into account that most (I believe...correct me if I'm wrong) LE agencies are issued Glocks, and that it's extremely popular among civilians, I think that it would be the most likely to "come across" for ammo, mags and parts.

I might keep S&Ws for "every-day" situations, but I'm thinking a 27 (and conversion) is going into my BOB.

I also have a number of friends who EDC a 27 and, if I didn't know better, I wouldn't ever see it print....and I'm in FL.

Best of luck, regardless! All your options seem sound.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Glock 26 and Glock 27 are the same frame, If you go with the Glock 27, you can shoot 9mm, 357 Sig, or .40.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

i know Kahr wasn't one of your choices but if your looking for something ultra comfortable,thin and light weight for warm weather carry,it's hard to beat Kahr..check out the pm9,cm9 or even the cw lineup...
    Last edited by crue2009; January 23rd, 2012 at 12:04 PM.

If you need absolute concealment, the answer is obvious. Get the Nano. Why does it need a slide catch? The Nano isn't in the same class as the G26, which is basically a chopped service pistol. The Nano is more of a replacement for a snub nose .38, and competes with other small single stack pistols like the Kahr CM/PM series, Kimber Solo, Kel-Tec PF9, Taurus 709, etc. It is a small pistol you can have with you when you would otherwise be unarmed....a pocket pistol or a deep conceal IWB gun. Who cares how it field strips? You don't need a screwdriver to field strip the pistol. Mine takes down just fine with a penny or the edge of a case rim.

If you can hide the G26, and the little brick is comfortable in your hand, then get the G26. You won't find a better option as long as your ergonomic and concealment needs are met with this platform. And yes, you can play at the range with the G18 mags, or any other Glock 9mm mag from the 19 or 17.

Forget the P290. Odd balance, weird trigger, too heavy for it's size......yuk.

Personally, since the G26 just doesn't fit my hand right, I'm waiting on the Walther PPQ subcompact.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    G26 is a tried and true firearm (generation 3). You have to look long and hard to find any negative write ups on that one, and if you don't like it for any reason, you can sell it in a heartbeat and not lose a lot of money.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Your best bet (as always) will be to rent or borrow examples of each, try them out on the range, and decide for yourself.

I would suggest a CM9 instead of the Sig P290 due to weight, especially if you ever intend to pocket carry it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The 26 or 27 would be my pick. I have both. The 26 provides quicker follow up shots. The 27 makes a slightly bigger hole. Both are sufficient to stop a threat w/ good HP ammo.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I have only carried and shot the nano out of your list. It it so easy to conceal. I can pocket carry in most of my pants and jeans. I also use a High Noon IWB holster and it just dissappears. Mine is accurate and easy to shot. It has not had any of the fte problems that others have had. The only issue I have had is a ftf when I inadvertantly put 7 rounds in a 6 round mag. Took out the 7th round and problem solved. A screwdriver isn't then only thing you can use to disassemble. You could use a knife blade, or I think even a dime would work.

It does have a slide stop just not an external slide stop.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have a G26 and love it. I shoot it just fine and have no problem putting 200 rounds down range in a paractice session. I'm packing it right this moment. But for me it's a bit big to conceal in the summer. I've done it but the P238 and LCP are definitely easier. SIG is coming out with a P938 that is essentially a 9mmP version of the P238. Thickness and height identical, slide less than half an inch longer (which won't matter). You might give the P238 and P938 a look. I can say from personal experience the P238 is a micro-gun that handles and shoots like a compact.

Based on my experience with the P238 I can hardly wait to get my hands on a P938.

I didn't like the P290 when I had a chance to try one. Trigger was unacceptable. The G26 has a good combat trigger, crisp, relatively short pull, short reset, fast double taps. The P238 has a decent single action trigger.

All of that said, my Ruger LCP is the gun I can always hide, so that isn't going anyplace. I've never gone unarmed when i wanted to be armed since I bought the LCP. The LCP and P3AT are the most concealable practical defense pistols on the planet. The P238 is a very close second.

I'm hoping the P938 brings 9mmP to the always concealable category in a usable pistol with a decent combat trigger. I'm pretty sure it won't be fun to shoot, especially with +P ammo if it is rated for it, but if it's as concealable as the P238 with a similarely good trigger that will put it in a category by itself, and I'll have to have one. I'll wear gloves to practice with it if I have to, but I'll pack it in the summer when I can't hide the G26.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links