Beretta Nano Update (1,300 rounds thru it)

This is a discussion on Beretta Nano Update (1,300 rounds thru it) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is an update from my original post regarding my Beretta Nano 9mm. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...40-rounds.html Now I have a total of 1,300 rounds thru it and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Beretta Nano Update (1,300 rounds thru it)

Beretta Nano Update (1,300 rounds thru it)

This is an update from my original post regarding my Beretta Nano 9mm.
    Beretta Nano Range Report (first 440 rounds)

Now I have a total of 1,300 rounds thru it and I have no FTE to report.

The breakdown looks like this:

1,100 rounds of 124gr 9mm FMJ Winchester NATO (white box)
    100 rounds of 147gr 9mm JHP Winchester Personal Protection (white box)
    50 rounds of 115gr 9mm Federal
    25 rounds of 124gr 9mm JHP + P Winchester PDX1
    25 rounds of 124gr 9mm JHP + P Gold Dot (This will be my carry ammo)

I usually fired 124gr thru this gun given that my carry ammo of choice is the 124gr 9mm JHP + P Gold Dot. So I want to stay at the same weight/grain of ammo when practicing with it. The 50 rounds of 115gr was part of my last session at the range (this week). I wanted to see if I was going to experience any problem with it (I didn't) but I noticed that the ejection of the brass was not as consistent as with the 124gr. (with 124gr it ejects very constant at 4 o'clock)

I updated my Holster, now I'm using an N8Tactical Holster and I find it to be very comfortable. I never considered this gun a true pocket gun so I just carry it in an IWB holster (and I'm faster with IWB than pocket carry).

My original holster was the High Noon Bare Asset.
    The main reason to switch to the N8Tactical is that I prefer something that covers the whole side of the gun when it's against my skin, etc.
    But both holster worked fine...

High Noon Holster (IWB)

This is the N8Tactical Holster (IWB)

Notice that now I also have some Handall Jr. Hogue Pocket-Size sleeves on the grip. It feels great and it helps me to maintain the grip when doing rapid fire, etc also when shooting with one hand…. I recommended it!

Few days ago, When I was cleaning the gun after my last range session I notice some wear on the finish in front of the ejection port. I'm pretty sure that I didn't have this the last time I cleaned the gun (with a total of 1,050 rounds mostly 124gr) SOooo I'm wondering if the 50 rounds of 115gr that I shot thru it (with inconsistent eject pattern cause it). I don't have any proof of that, but here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

It's just a scratch so I'm not worried about it.
    But that's the only thing I notice in terms of wear in the finish after 1,300 rounds.

Well and that's it, for me this little gun it's a keeper, I can connect with it at 7-10 yards without any problem (including weak hand/one hand) and it just disappear when carrying it...

Thanks

kal0pr

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the update. It will be a bit before I can get back to the range with mine. Interesting to see you had no FTE's with the 115gr Federal. Mine didn't care for it. I like mine for what it is. Über concealable, light, and functional traits appeal to my pragmatic and utilitarian trends.

Intriguing little gun. I've handled one, but have not shot one yet. Good review.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sounds like you've found a personal "winner." I think I'd prefer a "combat cut" on the N8Tactical holster, but if it works for you that's all that matters.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Thanks for the update. It will be a bit before I can get back to the range with mine. Interesting to see you had no FTE's with the 115gr Federal. Mine didn't care for it. I like mine for what it is. Über concealable, light, and functional traits appeal to my pragmatic and utilitarian trends.
    Well I just shot 50 rounds of 115gr Federal... But I did notice random ejects pattern with that ammo... Some of them even hitting my head and weak ejects etc so I won't be surprise if I get FTE with that ammo at all. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sounds like you've found a personal "winner." I think I'd prefer a "combat cut" on the N8Tactical holster, but if it works for you that's all that matters.
    Yeah that's definitely something to consider and with such a small gun people should practice drawing from their holster a lot given the small grip and all that.. I like the N8Tactical (very comfortable) but my preferred holster is the crossbreed (Thats the one I use with my other carry guns) so once they offer their mini tuck for the nano (not yet available) I will also get it and then I should be able to compare... Thanks.

Though I really like the concept/design of the Nano, I'm going to wait a year or two to see if they can get the extraction issue worked out.
    This FTE problem is especially serious because the Nano lacks a slide lock.
    Good to hear that you've got a good one.
    Glockwatcher likes this.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    Though I really like the concept/design of the Nano, I'm going to wait a year or two to see if they can get the extraction issue worked out.
    This FTE problem is especially serious because the Nano lacks a slide lock.
    Good to hear that you've got a good one.
    Yeah even that mine is been working great and I trust it... I'm still keeping an eye on the reports of FTE's in beretta forum and basically waiting for an official report from Beretta regarding the failures that other owners have if it's ammo/spring or extractor, etc.

In my case I can say that the Nano seems to like the 124gr ammo with no probs. :)

Agree

Great review! I just bought one of these little gems last week. Had just bought a Kimber Solo at a gun show, but then was pretty disappointed when I came home and read about all the problems people were having with them. After doing more research, I narrowed my options down to the Ruger LC9 or Nano. After holding both of them for about an hour at the store I decided on the Nano. Took it to the range the next day and put 150 rounds through it without a hiccup. About 100 rounds were cheap 115 grain Fiocchi and the other 50 was 124 grain Federal Hydra-Shok (my defensive carry ammo). Trigger was a little long, but nothing I couldn't get used to.

I also put the Hogue Jr. rubber grip on mine and can't wait to take it to the range to see how it feels with those on. Waiting on my High Noon Split Decision holster to come in later this week. Hopefully they'll put out some night sights soon, although these are pretty easy to see in the dark as well.
    Idahokid and txpate like this.

Nice to finally read a successful report. They are not getting a very warm welcome on the beretta forum.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Nice to finally read a successful report. They are not getting a very warm welcome on the beretta forum.
    Yeah no probs today I put 150 more rounds.. but again I'm staying with 124gr :)

Great review, whats your opinion on the High Noon Bare asset? Is it worth Trying?

I had a similar experience with ammo. Shot 300+ rounds of range ammo (WWB, Rem UMC, Tulammo - all 115gr) with no problems at all. Tried a box of Federal 115gr and had 4 FTE in that box of 50. Actually, less than 50 rounds because I stopped shooting the stuff after the 4th fte.

In a single session, I fired
    - 20 rounds UMC - no issues,
    - 50 rounds WWB - no issues,
    - 40-ish rounds Federal - 4 fte (extractor didn't grab them at all - empty was left in the chamber)
    - after that, I went back to Rem UMC and shot 50 rounds with no further issues.

I've put cheap Federal 9mm on my no-buy list.

I bought a Nano last week.I bought a few boxes of WPA wolf 9mm 115 FMJ.I hope it works well.Seems like the 115 FMJ ammo is having a hard time.Not enough pressure to cycle the gun.The federal ammo in the blue box that says target on it seems to be having a hard time also.On another site that I belong to,one guy said,It's not a target gun so don't shoot target ammo.It's a self defense gun and should use self defense ammo.When the weather clears a will run some rounds threw mine and give a report.Great website by the way.

Beretta Nano wear and tear

Hey guys, just got a Nano myself.

Got about 500-600 rounds threw it. I am noticing the slided is rubbing the corners slightly on the barrel block right were "9 para" is stamped. Just curious if this is normal wear and tear that I should see during break-in?

Anyone else seeing this?

Also, I have had issues with Kahr arms being ammo picky, I have found mine to eat everything from horndady defense rounds to MFS or walmart specials. Good luck with shooting

Thanks for the help in advance

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links