Beretta Tomcat

This is a discussion on Beretta Tomcat within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody here have any experience with this gun ? I have a friend who has one and loves it. I'm thinking of one for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Tomcat

Beretta Tomcat

Does anybody here have any experience with this gun ? I have a friend who has one and loves it. I'm thinking of one for a backup to my Para Slim Hawg.
    Ammo expense ? Reliability ? Accuracy ? Concealability ?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

No experiance, to small a caliber for me! But, that's not to say the little Beretta is not a good BUG, because it is. Many have them and like them and I have heard of very few problems with them.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    Do a search on Tomcat - I am pretty sure we have had that crop up in odd threads.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Here is the reply I posted to a similar query about the Tomcat. I hope it helps.

I had occasion to shoot a student's Tomcat several years ago. Evidently it left an impression on me as my wife bought me a Inox Tomcat for an anniversary present "because I talked about it so much."

I have had it for almost 6 years and I have shot it quite a bit. I do not subscribe to the BUG concept for CCW, but I know others do. I would consider it an acceptable choice for a second gun but unsuitable for use as a primary.

My impressions:

1. It is reliable. No malfunctions other than one instance of rim lock with Hornady hollow-points. I now use Speer's GD with excellent results and no issues. The gun has functioned flawlessly with ball. I would estimate I have about 800 rounds through the gun.

2. Though there are certainly lighter and smaller guns in .32 ACP. I believe the extra weight and size aid in the controllability of the gun. My splits are in the .15 range with this gun.

3. My sights were not regulated properly when I first got the gun. It shot about 4" left at 7 yards. It took a Herculean effort to move the rear sight. The front sight on the Inox version is also difficult to see, easily remedied with some paint or nail polish. That said it is surprisingly accurate. Groups run less than 2" at 7 yards and 8" plates at 25 yards are no problem.

4. The gun does not lend itself to high-speed gun handling. Reloading and/or malfunction clearance are time-consuming. The absence of a slide-lock and an extractor make the manual of arms for this gun different than for most other semi-automatic handguns. The placement of the magazine release on the left grip panel is awkward but manageable.

5. At the end of the day, its a .32 ACP. Definitely not my first choice, nor my second.

A good friend and co-worker has a blued Tomcat with a Big-Dot Tritum front sight. He bought his after shooting my Tomcat. He has about 300 rounds through it, almost exclusively HP's of various manufacture, with no problems. His is more difficult to shoot accurately due to the sight configuration, but it is definitely a better "fighting gun" (if you can consider a .32 ACP to be such a thing). Accuracy-wise, we can keep rounds in the A-zone at 15 yards with little effort.

In all honesty, I prefer his gun to mine. Were I in your situation, his is the configuration I would purchase.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    i have one. i do not know why- i guess i thought it was "cute", which it is!
    mine has worked perfectly with all ammo. i use 71 gr ball for practice, but theoretically use win silvertip 60 gr hollowpoints for defensive purposes, which never comes up because i do not ever carry it. but it is well made and accurate under the circumstances. i think it is marginal, of course, but it is very small and convenient. i agree with the majority opinion on the caliber, but actually with the silvertips it might be something you could give a lady for her protection under low risk conditions when she wouldn't carry a larger gun. you can carry it "locked and loaded" so to speak. and there is no slide to rack with the tip up barrel. but i think it is inferior for the novice since one must carry it with the safety on, and remember to take it off in need. a da revolver in 38, like an airweight, is certainly more practical.
    just my 2 cents.
    God Bless.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Beretta

I've posted before on my Tomcat...it stove piped second shot right out of the box and I've got problems with jams every two magazines. Maybe I just got a lemon because I owned a Beretta 92FS that had over 1000+ rounds through it and it was flawless errorwise.

I'm gonna send it back since it's still under warranty.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Just recently bought one and will probably do a range report on it soon. Although, it's already been commandeered for old lady carry.

Seems to shoot really well and is reliably functional. The .32 ammo seems kinda hard to find sometimes (the Walmarts here don't usually have it) and it runs about 14 bucks a box (50) at the local gun stores. That being said, she loves the little gun, so it's worth it since she'll actually carry it.

I don't really see the .32 as a good defensive round, but it's definitely better than the gun at home or in the car. I also would definitely not like to be shot with it.

i have a Beretta jetfire in 25acp and two beretta in 22lr. all three guns are great guns. never had any problems with them. all three are older guns 1970/1980 models. i can not speak for the new guns. but, but, i would take a hard look at the kel-tec p3at (380 auto). i have one and i love it. yes it took some work but now i love the gun. it is some what smaller than the beretta 32.cal.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I think they're neat guns but they're VERY thick. For pocket carry flatness (width) is the key. Compare this gun to the KelTec P3AT and you'll see how significant the difference is. The KelTech will handle faster and with a better round. Still, I like those Beretta's but if its just what's best for bug or pocket/purse carry, I believe the P3AT is a far better choice. Just my 2 cents.

Gideon

My GF's boss has one and she loves it. She's always bragging about it. Might invest in one myself.

Great little pocket gun. The R9 is better but more expensive (though in 9mm). But I made a decision a while ago that I would own Beretta if at all possible. That's how much I like Beretta.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    My only experience with Berettas is with my friend's 92FS Inox, which was fine, and my brother's .22 Bobcat, which is prone to misfires and failures to eject. I have custody of the Bobcat currently. I don't know what the cause of it is (light strikes? dunno) but I haven't ever cared enough about the gun to really get it looked at. I would never trust my life to that gun, period! It scares me how unreliable it is. I try to not let that taint my view of Beretta, though. It has not. I wouldn't mind having a 96FS or a Storm in .40S&W.

On another forum (from which I'm ), I remember someone wrote a post that said the Tomcat was designed to not have much of a lifespan beyond something absurdly low, like 1000 rounds!

Anyone else familiar with this rumor, and with any claim to validity that it may have?
    I've always kind of liked the Tomcat, actually, and would like to put my mind at ease about this rumor in case I ever head toward buying one.

I looked at and researched several pocket guns when I was in the market:

---- Rohrbaugh R9/R9s: Such a tiny package for 9mm, very cool engineering. I would have shelled out the $1K for one, but the owner stories on the Rorhbaugh forum are just scary. Some people there report searching through a dozen brands of ammo in an attempt to find one that will allow them to get through three magazines without a failure.

---- Kahr Pm9: Also 9mm in a tidy package, but also plagued with endless stories from people who cannot get their pistols to run consistently. I would have tried the PM9 in spite of the horror stories since Kahr seems serious about fixing problems, but in the end the gun just seemed a little big for pocket carry. Also I wanted the option of a manual safety, in case one of my small children ever got a finger in my pocket...

----- Keltec P32 and P3AT: Unbelievably cool size, inexpensive, and backed by great customer service. I came very close to getting one of these (and I probably will get one later), but I wanted a different manual of arms.

----- Tomcat: I like the fact that the Tomcat is a little DA/SA gun with manual safety and with a 100% safe way of decocking, via the tilt-up barrel. The tilt barrel also allows one to load and unload the pistol without cycling a round through the action, which is sometimes a nice feature to have. I ended up getting the INOX version and am just a pleased as punch with it. The build quality is very high. I had one FTF (fixed by drawing back the slide a little) very early in the life of the gun, but since then it has been completely reliable. I am very impressed with the accuracy of the Tomcat, which I guess is a byproduct of the fixed positioning of the barrel. About the only thing that I do not like is that the slide doesn't lock back on the last shot. I almost always lose track of my shot count when practicing, and so end up dry firing once at the end of every magazine. I'll probably end up breaking the firing pin this way.

BTW, I carry only FMJ in my Tomcat. There is vitually no chance of the dreaded .32 acp rimlock with ball ammo. Also it seems to me that for this caliber ball is the only round that will be very likely to penetrate deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    My only experience with Berettas is with my friend's 92FS Inox, which was fine, and my brother's .22 Bobcat, which is prone to misfires and failures to eject. I have custody of the Bobcat currently. I don't know what the cause of it is (light strikes? dunno) but I haven't ever cared enough about the gun to really get it looked at. I would never trust my life to that gun, period! It scares me how unreliable it is. I try to not let that taint my view of Beretta, though. It has not. I wouldn't mind having a 96FS or a Storm in .40S&W.

On another forum (from which I'm ), I remember someone wrote a post that said the Tomcat was designed to not have much of a lifespan beyond something absurdly low, like 1000 rounds!

Anyone else familiar with this rumor, and with any claim to validity that it may have?
    I've always kind of liked the Tomcat, actually, and would like to put my mind at ease about this rumor in case I ever head toward buying one.
    The way I understand it is that the early production Tomcats were significantly thinner than today's version, which some people call the widebody Tomcat. I think Beretta went to the thicker, stronger frame to improve the durability of the pistol. From what I have read, it seems like the widebodys hold up quite well. I ended going with the Inox (stainless steel) version, which is about 0.05 inches wider and 2 ounces heavier than the blue or black versions.

Anyway, at the rate that I am shooting I will get to three or four thousand rounds before the warranty is up. If it breaks before then I will have a new Tomcat

I've had a blued Tomcat......and it worked very well........A friend of mine has a stainless one, and feeds the gun Fed Hydra-shoks, or silvertips........ the gun doesn't feed well in the FMJ type ammo........I've polished the feed ramp for him, and it works reliable in all forms of ammo...........the little guns are kinda fussy, due to the close Tollerances Beretta has.........they're very easy to conceal, pretty safe in the pocket, and workmanship is outstanding.......
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links