Defensive Carry banner

Pocket carry and dont like a wheel gun....what semi auto??

11K views 38 replies 38 participants last post by  wncgarrett 
#1 ·
I have a Ruger sr9c that I love. but people at work nosy and WILL notice it working with them all day. So I end up only carrying on the weekends or left to gun in car which I dont care for. Even with vault.

What EDC could be pocket carry? about 5 10 and 200lbs?

ruger lcp? kahr or what. Thinking I need something smaller for EDC that is single Stack and request something in a 9mm to not have yet another ammo to guy.....what would be good pocket carry??

Its my only option I think.

Todd

#4 ·
I have a Ruger LCP for this very reason. I looked at an LC9 for the more potent caliber. I asked the salesman at my LGS if I could slip it in my pocket because I was looking for something to pocket carry. The LC9 and similar sized guns may fit in your pocket but may be a little too large for that depending on the pants you wear. I have carried an LCP in my front pocket for some time now and nobody knows. With a pocket holster, it looks like a wallet in my pocket, not a pistol. IMO I think some of the pocket 9's are pushing the boundaries of pocket carry. All I'm saying is try it in your pocket before you buy.

#5 ·
The Kahr PM9/CM9 is probably as large as you can go, discretely. There are several pocket holsters out there with an anti-print panel, which make it look like a wallet or smartphone in your pocket. That said, in some of my pockets, the grip can sort of peek out - I took a few pairs of pants to a tailor just today, to deepen my right pocket an inch or so, to deal with this issue.

The .380 Ruger LCP, in contrast, will fit in any pair of men's pants pockets that I've ever tried.

ETA - You can try the Smartcarry holster as well. It would allow you to carry your current pistol in complete "stealth mode."

#8 ·
How big are your pockets? I can pocket my G26 in cargo shorts and cargo pants, no problem at work. Don't know what your dress code at work is or what you do? I also have an LCP when I can't carry my G26. I'm looking into a PF9. Was thinking of a CM9 but after a visit to the Kahr forum I don't think so. And the new beretta nano is a no-no, as the new kid on the shelf, the beretta forum isn't giving it a warm welcome. If you can deal with all the California safety issues on the Ruger LC9 that could work for you. I just can warm up to it, it has too many doodads for me! The G26 is smaller then your SR9c that's why I got it.

Go to KahrTalk Home and visit the CM/PM forum thread to check on the Kahr CM9 and PM9, and KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum and visit the PF9 and P11 thread to check on the Kel-Tec PF9 and P11. Also how much can you afford to spend? The Kel-Tec's are about $240 to $275, the Kahr's are $200 to $300 more, and a Ruger LC9 cost about $350. If you order on line there will be an additional FFL transfer fee and it depends on what your local gun stores charge for that and a background check fee too. It can all add up. If you can go to a gun show you can check almost all of them there side-by-side and decide what fits YOU best. And you'll probably get the best price there too.

#11 ·
As has been said, the 14 oz Kahr PM9 or CM9, Ruger LC9, Kel-Tec PF-9 are options, but you may have to settle for an 8 oz. 380 like the Kel-Tec P3-AT or Ruger LCP to fit comfortably in a pocket at work. The Guardian 380 weighs 16 oz. My Rohrbaugh R9 weighs 13 oz and is one of the smallest 9's out there.

OTH, if a tuckable IWB, belly band, or Smartcarry can hide my 45 in a dress shirt, anything's possible.

#13 ·
Berretta Nano IWB everyday. My equally nosey coworkers never notice. 6+1 9mm (High Noon Holsters Split Decision- appendix carry.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG Android using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I think if you are going to go with pocket carry, you will need to stick with the LCP or kel tec's P3AT.
I have a K Tec P11, and the only way I can pocket carry in the Desantis Nemesis holster I have for it is in Cargo pants
No way they would go in a pair of dress pants or jeans, unless they are really baggy.

#18 ·
single Stack and request something in a 9mm to not have yet another ammo to buy.....what would be good pocket carry??

Todd
of course you can pocket carry an LCP or 3AT, that's a no brainer. But since you asked for your 9mm options, here is one that I have had the best success at pocket carry. Keltec PF-9 in the front pocket of Wranger Carpenter Jeans. Pockets are a bit too small for really good carry, but took this pic just for the hey of it to show that carrying two 9mm PF-9's, it can be done. I usually carry in cargo shorts with much larger pockets where I have zero issues. Tightly tailored dress pants are a real challenge no matter what you carry.

PF-9 in both front pockets.......

#20 ·
My opinion - you've got to stick it in your waist if you really want to hide it. Have carried a Kahr PM9 for 3 very hot summers wearing only shorts and flimsy (I mean flimsy) t-shirts. But I'm skinny and the t-shirt drapes over my waistline. Might be a bit harder hide if you got a dunlap thing going on.... I actually have to pat myself down a couple of times a day to make sure it's there or I didn't forget it. But of course your shirt needs to be out all the time.

Also - much easier to access from seated position. If I'm sitting in my car at a stoplight, I'd never get a gun out of my pocket in time of emergency.

In addition, I own a Kel-Tec P3AT and a Kahr P380. Both are great pocket carries when I dress up a bit and have my shirt tucked in and usually with looser-fitting dress pants. Never know when you might have to draw down on a dude at a funeral. :redface: The little 380s you can also stick in your sock when wearing long pants.

Diamondback has come out with a tiny 9mm, but from following it on their forum, some issues to be worked out yet.

#21 ·
I wouldn't carry any of those pea shooter 380's.......

To me, the Glock 26/27 are ideal carry pistols. It's easy to iwb in a tuckable holster and they become invisible. If you want to pocket carry.....they work to. I carry my 26 in the pocket all the time (in a Desantis Nemesis holster). In slacks, Dockers or cargo shots it will just disappear. Now it is not an "airweight" pistol, but if you get a decent leather belt it works fine. Remember, there is a trade-off between weight and shootiblility...... The Glock is also very reliable (important for self defense applications).

#22 ·
i MEAN my sr9c is pretty descrete for the passer by just fine. but when you bend over a bit of a butt of the handle sticks out and again..my people are WAY nosy..they notice if you get a hair cut a new shirt anything..........

I was thinking the name in a keltec 9 or a kahr 9....will have to check out the too. I will have to shop around....dont want to go with a .380. want to stick in the 9;s if I can. I will have to try them. Thanks all.

I can pick up a keltec for pretty decent money too.

#23 ·
Folks are different, so are clothes, and "pocket" pistols. And, everybody has their own approach to putting together their system. A lot depends on how you need to dress for work, obviously. If you can wear cargo pants, you win. If you wear a coat and tie, not so much. Of course, cold weather does help, some. I have to wear coat & tie; not many 9s pocket carry in that rig. Do you have to work in close confines with people? That makes CC even more difficult. I wish there was a simple answer to this, but there isn't. You just have to experiment until you find something that works for you. With the exception of some "oversized" kahkis, my CM9 just is not a pocket carry.

#24 ·
Looking forward to your choice..never pants pocket carried, have thrown a J-frame or a Beretta 22LR Jetfire in a field jacket pocket in the past.

#26 ·
It does depend on your clothing,the pocket size and cut. I did carry a 130z pf-9 for 2 1/2 years and now a cm9 kahr . The cw9 is just a bit to large . I don't like the micro 380's, for me i can not quickly get a controled grip on them. Just to small. I can do way better with a sub sized 9mm.

#27 ·
2wheelGnnr

How are you set up for carry gear?

I'm wondering if it's either your gear or, alternatively, your clothing that's giving it away.

I'm definitely not begrudging you for it. :smile: I'm one of those people who also cannot "dress to the gun," but I've chosen my carry gear and how I carry so that I can carry what I want, and not have anyone knowing.

Before you go off looking for a smaller gun - which will carry with it the compromises of capacity as well as "shoot-ability," be sure you've reached the end of what's possible, in terms of how you carry and conceal your current piece. :smile:

Also, figure out exactly what it is that's your "tell."

A pocket pistol will still leave you with a new bulge in your pants that the more inquisitive in your office may well ask you about: what are you going to pull out of your pocket, to explain to these busy-bodies, if they ask? :wink:

You may also need to look into alternative deep-concealment ideas: SmartCarry, Thunderwear, 3SpeedHolster, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.