Was your PF9 reliable out of the box? - Page 3

Was your PF9 reliable out of the box?

This is a discussion on Was your PF9 reliable out of the box? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oh yea....it hates reloads but no problem with wwb or anything else...

View Poll Results: Is/Was your PF9 reliable?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

51 67.11%
  • No

25 32.89%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Was your PF9 reliable out of the box?

Oh yea....it hates reloads but no problem with wwb or anything else

Don't own one, but have seen 3 with cracked frames - no way would I purchase one.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Don't own one, but have seen 3 with cracked frames - no way would I purchase one.
    got details or pics? I always love input from those that have no experience with the weapon being discussed.
    yooperdug and NIS350ZTT like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I think the arguement that "it's not the gun it's that people do not know how to shoot it" or "people fail to clean or polish it" does not hold up well at 38%. I do clean and polish most of my pistols, but never really liked having to tear the whole thing down and polish it to get it to work. just saying....

only two malfunctions (@ round 11 and rounds 161/162) out of 494 rounds so far.. here is a timeline:

30OCT11: 50 WWB 115gr (FTF @ round 11); 100 UMC 115gr (no malfunctions); 14 WWB (7 rapid fire [no malf], 7 rapid fire [double feed @ rounds 4/5]); 36 WWB (no malf);
    64 Hornady Critical Defense 115gr (no malf).

05NOV11: 50 UMC (no malf)
    09JAN12: 50 UMC (no malf)
    10JAN12: 75 UMC (no malf)
    13JAN12: 55 UMC (no malf)
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

I had the extractor bolt walk out after about 300 rounds. Little blue loc-tite and never a problem since. I love mine, but I think it is a gun you have to be willing to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    got details or pics? I always love input from those that have no experience with the weapon being discussed.
    I don't count working/volunteering at a shooting range for over 3 yrs as "having no experience". The frames cracked above the trigger guard. Didn't see any point in taking pictures of each gun failure to prove anything to some twit that thinks I can't see that a frame has a crack in it that would be obvious to a blind man. Don't worry though, I'll keep a camera on me from now on to document such occurrences; would you like witness signatures as well?
    yooperdug likes this.

PF9 Not for Everyone

My PF9 worked flawlessly out of the box and was surprisingly very accurate. It had a lot of muzzle flip, to be expected for such a light weight gun. After several hundred rounds the slide developed a hairline crack. The pistol still worked flawlessly. I upgraded and replaced the slide and barrel with hard chrome. Shot a few hundred rounds and the slide stop lever broke in half. The trigger is a pain, literally, so I opted for the aluminum trigger from Northwoods. Haven't shot it since replacing the trigger but it feels much more comfortable.

If you are one who enjoys working on your gun then the PF9 would be OK however, My recommendation for anyone considering a PF9 is to buy the Ruger LC9 instead. I have both and the LC9 is pretty much the same gun but much better fit, finish, and higher quality. I would carry the Ruger LC9 for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I too wanna see this.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Read my mind

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

I have never seen a cracked frame on a PF9, however there have been some reports of cracked slides. The reports that I have seen are small cracks developing in the area where the notch of the slide stop. I believe that the cause of it is that people using the slide stop to chamber the round instead of pulling the slide back. God Bless

My PF9 has been dependable with no FTF or FTE issues after 150+ rounds using both HP and FMJ ammo. It is my standard CCW weapon. The only negative is that it kicks like a mule, but most likely won't feel that in an adrenalin situation, only at the range.

At first I wasn't sure about my PF9; it was a stinger to my hand. When I limited my shooting to 50rd at a time and got used to it, the little "Rat Gun" ran fine. Any issues I could trace to slightly relaxing my grip. I would say that you have to practice regularly to get the most out of it. Since I can't practice as much as I think it needs, I changed over to a J-frame for carry, but I can see myself going back to it.

I had one for a while and I really like it. The only issue I ever had was that occasionaly the mag release would get depressed while in my pocket. Im sure this could have been fixed with a different holster. As for shooting etc I had more isssues with my Kahr during breakin than I did with my Keltec

I too love mine. no polishing,just a good strip and cleaning job at first. Not a single problem with over 200 WWBS

Guns are personal preference,just like everything else. I studied,compared and shot this little devil long before I decided to buy one. i feel the price is fair,and Im very satisfied with my PF9.
    I 100percent agree with others here that make the observation that usually(not always) problems arise with the owner/operator.

I have to qualify twice yearly with "Americas Gun",the glock 17. While not a personal Glock fan(I dont own one),I like the gun and shoot well with it. I attribute my scores to my own marksmanship abilities. It was really hilarious at our last range shoot,because about 75% of the guys were having feed and stovepipe issues.Not tooting my own horn,but I came along and shot every gun after someone had problems.
    My point is, guns are machines-machines can work,machines can fail.

Tongue in cheek on the "Americas Gun" statement,by the way
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links