Was your PF9 reliable out of the box?

This is a discussion on Was your PF9 reliable out of the box? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a PF9 three years ago and it functioned well for the first 5-600 rds. Then a crack developed at the slide stop notch. ...

View Poll Results: Is/Was your PF9 reliable?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

51 67.11%
  • No

25 32.89%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Was your PF9 reliable out of the box?

I bought a PF9 three years ago and it functioned well for the first 5-600 rds. Then a crack developed at the slide stop notch. KT replaced the whole top end. Within 50 rds on the new top end multiple failures to extract occurred. KT replaced the extractor and spring. The second extractor spring failed. The extraction problem was actually worse. I installed two extractor springs, laying one over the other, and the gun worked really well. It handles a mixture of 9 including my reloads. It did not fail when deliberately fired with a loose grip. Then the assembly pin broke. That part has been ordered and is awaiting delivery. I really like KT designs, but execution seems weak. BTW, recoil is sharp. I suggest a glove when shooting long sessions.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I don't count working/volunteering at a shooting range for over 3 yrs as "having no experience". The frames cracked above the trigger guard. Didn't see any point in taking pictures of each gun failure to prove anything to some twit that thinks I can't see that a frame has a crack in it that would be obvious to a blind man. Don't worry though, I'll keep a camera on me from now on to document such occurrences; would you like witness signatures as well?

since you don't have pics of the the three with cracked frames, I thought I would help you out and show three that have worked perfectly from day one.....hundreds of rounds and not a burp. Please have personal experience or documentation on any pistol malfunction before you bring it to a pistol forum. Without such, its all internet chatter.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Agency bought several for UC Agents-"Not a Cop gun!" I added the bike tire inner tube over the grip-See Kel-Tec site for details-We've done that trick for years. You add a rubber grip to 14 semi-auto(non 1911 type)s for about $3! Works on Kel-tecs/Glocks/Sigs + many more. After pre-qual inspection and cleaning/lubing-to the Range. All ten weapons fired and functioned with practice ammo Fed 115 ball/Speer 115 Blue box. Duty ammo-Fed 124 +P+ (LE Only) and WW Ranger 127+P+ all fed and functioned as advertised. All Agt qualified on 2 full courses before carrying them on duty. That was 4 yrs ago-they are still in service.

No. Had a trip back to factory early on, and now it's very dependable. I think I would recommend the Ruger LC9, though, over the PF9.

But I definitely like the PF9.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    no issues with any of my PF-9's. I did the feed ramp buff before I ever fired any of them. Amazing little pistols in the right hands.

Yes, BUT...My PF9 is 2 years old and has been ALMOST 100% reliable... I have had FTF/FTE's with ONE brand of cheap "MFS" ammo, made in Hungary. This ammo did the same thing in my other 9mm and my wife's 380. Before I shot my PF9, I cleaned it including removing the firing pin, polished the feed ramp, and lubed the slide rails. Lastly, I DON'T LIMP WRIST IT! It has performed exactly as I expected it would, keeping in mind that it is a very light, small 9mm semi-auto. And, yes, I would buy another one!

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    since you don't have pics of the the three with cracked frames, I thought I would help you out and show three that have worked perfectly from day one.....hundreds of rounds and not a burp. Please have personal experience or documentation on any pistol malfunction before you bring it to a pistol forum. Without such, its all internet chatter.
    Showing 3 that don't have cracks doesn't mean that I didn't see 3 with them. A person doesn't need to own something to have personal experience with that item - that kind of thinking is just ignorant. The range I was at served over 25000 shooters per year, why would anyone even think to document all the malfunctions we saw. You wouldn't believe me if I posted pages in a logbook anyway; you'd probably claim I wrote it down last night. Sorry your feeling are hurt b/c the gun you decided to purchase has a history of failures, but hey, that happens. Even without my personal experience with the pistol, all the reports of cracked slides would send me looking elsewhere. There's plenty of Bryco/Jennings pistols out there as well that have never fired w/o having someone pulling the trigger, but I'm not touching one of those with a 10 foot pole.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Showing 3 that don't have cracks doesn't mean that I didn't see 3 with them. A person doesn't need to own something to have personal experience with that item - that kind of thinking is just ignorant. The range I was at served over 25000 shooters per year, why would anyone even think to document all the malfunctions we saw. You wouldn't believe me if I posted pages in a logbook anyway; you'd probably claim I wrote it down last night. Sorry your feeling are hurt b/c the gun you decided to purchase has a history of failures, but hey, that happens. Even without my personal experience with the pistol, all the reports of cracked slides would send me looking elsewhere. There's plenty of Bryco/Jennings pistols out there as well that have never fired w/o having someone pulling the trigger, but I'm not touching one of those with a 10 foot pole.
    I'm suspecting hot reloads or a steady diet of +P ammo, but that's just a guess. My feelings are not hurt in the slightest by your observations, but would prefer more information as to what caused the cracked slides. I too have seen some catastrophic gun kabooms while at the range over the last twenty years, and most were a result of serious user error.....some of my own were the result of a seriously under-engineered pistol. Having three PF-9's of my own that have worked perfectly does lead me to think that the cracked slides were the result of mishandling by the shooters, and in no way diminishes what you saw while working at the range. Work there long enough, and you will see a lot of really bad stuff. Some of it user error, some of it because of the the design of the pistol. Without more information, its tough to tell what caused the slide cracks on the PF-9's you saw.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

With over 70 votes, we have ~ 1/3 with issues vs 2/3 without.

Rollo - Not exactly good odds, there.

Personally, I would suggest you look elsewhere.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I'm with Zonker; the PF9 is the absolute minimum gun for the 9x19, so proper care and handling is important. If it does not "work" for some people, that just means that it's not the gun for them--it's no reflection of their skill or experience as shooters. I nearly gave up on mine (if my hand was bigger, I would have), and as I mentioned above, I set it aside when I couldn't give it the regular practice I need to feel confident with it. By the same token, I don't carry my .45 Commander, because it needs constant practice for full mastery and safety.
    Bottom line (to me):
    Is the PF9 a good gun? YES!!
    Is it for everyone? NO!!

Go with the lc9 instead

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

I was looking at getting the PF9 myself until I read all the bad reviews on it and all the problems that come with Keltecs. The Ruger LC9 was totally out the question because I didn't want a Californiaized gun, so I spent about $150 more and got the Kahr CM9, best decision I ever made.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Here's my story with the PF9. Cleaned it, took it to the range, good for about 50 rounds with 1 FTE. Took it home, cleaned it. Next time shot 50 rounds had about 30 FTE's. Took it home. Cleaned it. Checked the screw that holds the ejector in. Was loose. Tightened it up, put some lock tight on it still FTE's. Maybe 20 this time out of 50. Sent it to Kel Tec. Got it back 6 weeks later (they replaced the slide, barrel and recoil assembly), shot 200 rounds thru her (not at one session) and it has been flawless. Even limp wristing it and shooting it sideways and upside down. That's my story and i'm sticking to it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links