A lesson in shot placement.

This is a discussion on A lesson in shot placement. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No intention here in starting a caliber war, IMHO it's a somewhat futile discussion, however I believe we can all agree that shot placement is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: A lesson in shot placement.

VIP Member

No intention here in starting a caliber war, IMHO it's a somewhat futile discussion, however I believe we can all agree that shot placement is important. Here is a real-life example of a subject being shot at close range 12 times with a 9mm. The twelth shot was an attempted head shot to finish him off. He was laying on the floor after 11 entry wounds, the subject probably made a reactionary move and saved himself from a fatal head shot. He lived and testified at the trial of the shooter.

BTW:
    1. This was all about drugs.
    2. I don't know the location of his 11 entry wounds.
    3. The guy that was shot was a stocky, stout built man.

A friend of mine who was at the trial related the story to me, I'm posting an excerpt from a news article that matches what my friend told me:

THE NEWS EXCERPT- According to evidence and testimony presented at the trial, Law and co-defendent Jody Hamilton were intent on robbing residents at 1231 Pavie St. They burst into the residence and shot Berryman and Williams, who were manufacturing crack cocaine in the residence, officials said.

Hamilton initially shot Williams 12 times, while Law shot and killed Berryman. Law "then attempted to kill Williams by firing the pistol at his head. The last shot struck Williams in the face, removing his nose," the news release said.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    drive- bys and criminal -on -criminal would not put bystanders at risk as greatly if the courts mandated firearms training in prison.

it would also reduce the revolving door, catch & release of repeat criminals.

cause they would be dead criminals

--to take the course, the criminals must promise to only shoot each other.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    'Definitely a bad day for Williams.

Another consideration is; Are you shooting to assassinate, or shooting to stop your attacker? I'm willing to bet that Williams was probably out of the fight long before he got his nose shot off.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    With out more precise information (brand/type of ammunition used, firearms used, where exactly the bullets hit, what type if any of soft or hard barriers needed to penetrate etc... ) it isn't that useful other than someone can shoot you multiple times and you can still live, which has been proven over and over from just about every type of service pistol round out there.
    IAm_Not_Lost likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    a young man who got 'talked to' by some of the boys in the neighborhood ( early 1980's) took 9 hits from a 22lr.
    all through & through, no arteries or bones; treated & released the same day.

i took to calling him "Cat"
    what for all the lives he used up that day.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

All an all, not a bad outcome. One drug manufacturer dead, another one probably re-thinking his occupation, two BG's getting tried for murder, if the justice system does what it should that's a grand total of 3 out of the game and one barely holding on.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    'Definitely a bad day for Williams.

Another consideration is; Are you shooting to assassinate, or shooting to stop your attacker? I'm willing to bet that Williams was probably out of the fight long before he got his nose shot off.
    Even worse day for Berryman.

VIP Member
    We could probably retire or add to the street force all our corrections officers, if all criminals were given a Titan 25 as they were locked up. Daily exercise would just consist of burial detail - shovel ready jobs.
    Divebum47 and dukalmighty like this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

As has been said, what ammo was used? Fmj's, unless they hit bone, would probably pass right through. If it was out of a short barrel, there's velocity to consider too. Where were the hits--in the hands, arms, legs, feet? Too many variables that we don't know.

VIP Member
    My guess was he was probably using FMJ bullets. That and the person shot was probably high on his "product". It's been proven that many times someone high on drugs don't go down, even with hits to vital area with large caliber JHP ammo.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Needs Gold Dots, Great round of ammo ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

All i know is if I shoot you that many times , your butt is dead......
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

It just goes to show you that the human body will rarely respond to gunshots the way you plan or imagine. Just make sure you shoot straighter than the other guy.

There's tons of storys like this on every forum, with every caliber. I read a Vietnam story about a Army LRRP who took a three round burst through the chest, and out the back, with a AK. Jacked on adrenaline, he jumped up and smoked the Vietcong soldier who shot him as he came to make sure of him and was able to RUN back to his evac chopper. Go figure...

"Even in the contest between man and steer, nothing is certain."

Ammo selection and shot placement,I would have to say that the average concealed handgun carrier shoots less than 100 rounds a month,and in most cases hasn't fired a shot since they got their permits.So it's not surprising that a lot of gunshot victims survive their wounds, they may have long term physical disabilities including paralysis from the Injuries.
    The more you practice,the more muscle memory you build,and in stressful situations you react the way you trained
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links