NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8 - Page 3

NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8

This is a discussion on NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; XDm this...........

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8

XDm this........

NY27 and wmhawth like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    XDM!

Nobody should have to own a Glock. :P

Glock vs XD. They're both great guns, go with which one you shoot the best with and feel most comfortable with. For me that was the XD.

Glock 19 is "much" more accurate at longer distances and easier to care for. It has a more durable coating that's better resistant to moisture/environment. The barrel is a hammer-forged, hexagonal rifled barrel that adds about 200+ more foot-pounds of knockdown energy to that bullet. It's easier to clean/maintain and there are many more holster options.
    It's also one of the preferred guns of fast operators, like the Navy SEALS because (out of several guy that I myself have
    owned/fire) you can just throw the thing up, point and shoot...pretty much without even using the sights and hit direct impacts on the target, easily.

I tried out a Springfield (yes it has the name, but it's made in Croatia/Bosnia area and the
    tolerance are not nearly as good as a real Springfield 1911 or such) XD 9mm full size and it was blocky as Heck, very top
    weighted and only balanced with a full magazine. As you fire, the balance goes away and it's consistantly harder to keep
    sighted on target. The top looks like the deck of an aircraft carrier and could be used to land the latest CIA drone spy
    camera bugs on. It was easy to load/fired every time, but just 50 rounds really let me know that it would be ok in a pinch to shoot at a bad guy with if I had nothing else, but after just 7yards, it becomes extremely hard to keep it accurate. This gun was not "shot-out", but a very new firearm. I regularly have to qualify out to 25 yards and this gun would be hard to make that mark. My occasional CCW gun is a Ruger P95DC and it will shoot rings around that Springfield XD. Hitting a B27 target does not qualify as accurate IMHO. It should be able to group 4" or better at 25yards on a slow-fire (small) pistol target.
    Most Springfield 1911A1 models, even the cheapest Gvt. issue type will shoot about .5 to 1" groups of 5 rounds at 25yards...yes, that's one small, tiny ragged hole. That XD is not capable of it. The last G19 I shot, I got bored and was shooting the little scoring target figure in the left corner of the B27 target at 7yards, pretty much in one little hole.
    Get the Glock...I know there is probably a $100 price difference, but you will sell that XD and buy one after shooting it for a while...Don't take my word, go to the range and fire them both, side-by-side. No comparison. If you want cheaper price and better gun, get the Ruger P95 for the best price. I have heard that the striker-fired Ruger SR9 is a VERY accurate gun, maybe more that the G19. They make a SR9C that's really nice.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Glock 19 is "much" more accurate at longer distances and easier to care for. It has a more durable coating that's better resistant to moisture/environment. The barrel is a hammer-forged, hexagonal rifled barrel that adds about 200+ more foot-pounds of knockdown energy to that bullet.
    I am not sure where you heard this business about adding 200+ foot-pounds of energy, but this is an absolutely ridiculous claim.
    Toorop likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Glock 19 is "much" more accurate at longer distances and easier to care for. It has a more durable coating that's better resistant to moisture/environment. The barrel is a hammer-forged, hexagonal rifled barrel that adds about 200+ more foot-pounds of knockdown energy to that bullet. It's easier to clean/maintain and there are many more holster options.
    It's also one of the preferred guns of fast operators, like the Navy SEALS because (out of several guy that I myself have
    owned/fire) you can just throw the thing up, point and shoot...pretty much without even using the sights and hit direct impacts on the target, easily.

I tried out a Springfield (yes it has the name, but it's made in Croatia/Bosnia area and the
    tolerance are not nearly as good as a real Springfield 1911 or such) XD 9mm full size and it was blocky as Heck, very top
    weighted and only balanced with a full magazine. As you fire, the balance goes away and it's consistantly harder to keep
    sighted on target. The top looks like the deck of an aircraft carrier and could be used to land the latest CIA drone spy
    camera bugs on. It was easy to load/fired every time, but just 50 rounds really let me know that it would be ok in a pinch to shoot at a bad guy with if I had nothing else, but after just 7yards, it becomes extremely hard to keep it accurate. This gun was not "shot-out", but a very new firearm. I regularly have to qualify out to 25 yards and this gun would be hard to make that mark. My occasional CCW gun is a Ruger P95DC and it will shoot rings around that Springfield XD. Hitting a B27 target does not qualify as accurate IMHO. It should be able to group 4" or better at 25yards on a slow-fire (small) pistol target.
    Most Springfield 1911A1 models, even the cheapest Gvt. issue type will shoot about .5 to 1" groups of 5 rounds at 25yards...yes, that's one small, tiny ragged hole. That XD is not capable of it. The last G19 I shot, I got bored and was shooting the little scoring target figure in the left corner of the B27 target at 7yards, pretty much in one little hole.
    Get the Glock...I know there is probably a $100 price difference, but you will sell that XD and buy one after shooting it for a while...Don't take my word, go to the range and fire them both, side-by-side. No comparison. If you want cheaper price and better gun, get the Ruger P95 for the best price. I have heard that the striker-fired Ruger SR9 is a VERY accurate gun, maybe more that the G19. They make a SR9C that's really nice.
    Actually the Navy SEALs are using Sig P226s and not Glocks. The Glock is a great gun, but as has been stated your claims about an additional 200 lbs of energy make me very skeptical.

I prefer the Glock 19 myself. I don't like having a grip safety as it can fail. I also like the fact Glock has GSSF and supports their customers as well as allows them to become armorers. Not to mention parts and holsters are easier to find.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    How many reports are there of a grip safety failing? Guys swear by 1911's, which have a grip safety, yet the XDM has one and gets put down for it, makes no sense at all.

XDM all the way.

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Actually the Navy SEALs are using Sig P226s and not Glocks. The Glock is a great gun, but as has been stated your claims about an additional 200 lbs of energy make me very skeptical.
    You mean the SEALs aren't fully benefiting from "200+ more foot-pounds of knockdown energy" gained over the Sig when firing the same load through a Glock? I'm scandalized. Our fighting men deserve those 200+ pounds of extra energy.

I'm writing my Congressman now!

Toorop likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I qualified to get my carry permit with a glock 19 then went out and purchased a XD 9mm 4in That was before the XDm was out. As you can see both are great guns the only thing I will add is get either one and carry it all the time.

Go with whichever feels better in your hand. They are both good reliable guns. Springfield would get my vote for best CS though.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Glock 19...Enuff said!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Get and carry both along with a 642 BUG.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    G19 all the way. Well balance and a great shooter.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

"Glock 19 is "much" more accurate at longer distances"

Pure opinion based on your experience. I own the G19 and the XDm (4.5") have shot the 3.8"more though. While if I had to choose one it would probably be the Glock, the XDm is actually more accurate in MY hands which means zero to everyone else. Maybe the match barrel has something to do with it? I doubt it with the shorter barrel and non-competition shooter.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links