NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8 - Page 4

NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8

This is a discussion on NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thunder71 How many reports are there of a grip safety failing? Guys swear by 1911's, which have a grip safety, yet the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    How many reports are there of a grip safety failing? Guys swear by 1911's, which have a grip safety, yet the XDM has one and gets put down for it, makes no sense at all.

XDM all the way.

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.
    IT is harder to manipulate if you have only use of one hand. Not to mention it is more parts in the gun which make it less reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    You mean the SEALs aren't fully benefiting from "200+ more foot-pounds of knockdown energy" gained over the Sig when firing the same load through a Glock? I'm scandalized. Our fighting men deserve those 200+ pounds of extra energy.

I'm writing my Congressman now!

No they are not. I have heard, and this is speculation, that they are actually not using Glock 17s but they are using Glock 7's as described by Bruce Willis in the second "Die Hard" film. I agree they deserve those extra 200 lbs of energy. But the damned politicians don't care.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    IT is harder to manipulate if you have only use of one hand. Not to mention it is more parts in the gun which make it less reliable.
    I have a video of me doing it with one hand and no assist, it's really quite easy. And until I see proof that somehow the XDM is less reliable because of more parts, I'll disagree that point as well.

Video doing this with both an XDM strong hand and harder PM9 weak hand, done slower than normal for demo purposes:

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Oh no, not the number of parts thing, yet again:

Moving parts: How many in Glocks & XD's? - THR

And as for manipulations - how is the XD/XDm any more difficult to mainpulate than any other striker-fired autopistol?

There is no inherently better/worse platform. It's all about the preferences of the end-user.

The XD/XDm, S&W M&P, Glock, 1911. They're all fine pistols that can run and run and run, if not for the deficiencies of their operators.

For those that don't want to click/read...

Pretty insignificant differences:
    Glock 42 parts, XD 50 parts
    Glock 28 moving parts, XD 32 moving parts.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    FWIW, I think that a lot of the single-handed manipulations difficulties are due to specific ergonomic issues that arise as a result of a poor or otherwise less-than-desirable user-to-gun fit.

Case-in-point is a member of my "local/regional" concealed-carry Forums, someone whom I really respect (i.e. I didn't begrudge him for letting go of his XD, but rather, I sincerely wondered *exactly* why he did it - what his reasons were), who ditched the XD as his carry gun (to go to the S&W M&P) after an intense session at TDI. There, he encountered significant problems with single-handed weapon manipulations on the XD, to the point that he was so frustrated that he started trying his classmates/instructors' guns, to see what would work better for him. Granted, the M&P offers a Southpaw like him significant advantages given its ambi slide stop/release, but after some discussion, we found that what this gentleman experienced was more attributable to his hand anatomy/size, rather than anything else.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I like and have owned both. You should check the M&P also before you make a decision.

[OP] if you haven't noticed, for some reason people want to sell you the same gun that they own. Sometimes, they only ended up with said gun by chance, like say for instance... "Bobby's uncle's neighbor's co-worker was selling it cheap to pay his rent, or buy more drugs... or something."

Take internet advice with a grain... no make that a bucket of salt... it only takes a minute to squeeze "Glock, XD, or SIG" in between a string of incoherent misspellings.
    kerberos likes this.

XDm, you will not be disappointed. FWIW, I have a bit of a soft spot for them and an aversion to the thing with a "G" on it ;). On another note I have three LEO friends that carry Grocks:P and they had never held an XDM/XDm and ALL THREE of them offered to trade me within a couple minutes of handling both of mine. Just sayin'...
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Im new to this jus wanting some feedback on these two guns. I have had a chance to shoot the hell outta the 19(which I like). but with the XDm comming out I'm not sure what to get. I ave held the xdm at a gun show I like the way it griped but when the metal meets the meat I want the better gun on my side.
    coming out? the XDM9 compact has been out for a while now. I shot the glock 19 a little but I just couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from inside the barn with it and the grips were unnatural and boxy to me. I have the XDM45 compact and it is a work of art. awesome trigger, great accuracy, very reliable, lifetime warranty, I think it's one of the greatest things since flintlocks. the 9mm will have all the pluses of the 45 but with greater ammo capacity.

and to all the numbskulls who claim that the grip safety seizes up if it gets dirty I suggest that you read this article that's been floating around XDtalk for a few years now.
    http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general...ture-test.html

for what it's worth a lot of guys also claim that you cant retract the slide one handed and I have done this with both of my XDM45s on numerous occasions...just goes to show you cant trust everything you hear on the interweb.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Quote Originally Posted by playingD View Post
    Get and carry both along with a 642 BUG.
    already carry a Smitty BG380 for a BUG

Went out yesterday barrowed my friends xDm and rented a G19. I put bout 200 rounds through both of them an after quick deliberation with the Gun shop I cashed out on a GEN 3 G19. I also bought a Gelco IWB for it. I have worn it all morning and I think that I have made a well informed choice. Thanks to all you guys for your opinions and facts. BTW looked and looked for a "GLOCK 7" but the gun shop said that Joch McClain had just pick the last one up.... All that I could think was "huh? John McClain in Clarksville, TN. Whoeda thunk it?"

How does one spell deliberation correctly and go on to mess up a word like borrowed, about, and, and Galco?

OK, I'm a little sore that you went with the Glock instead of the better XDM, but you have to do what's right for you.

Congrats, I'm sure it will provide you with many years of great service... now get out and shoot, be safe.

Glad you found something suitable for you. And that's the point isn't it? All major firearms manufacturers make excellent products these days. What tipped the scales toward the Glock for me was an extremely helpful local firearms dealer. I had been in his shop on numerous occasions and one day I finally show up with cash in my pocket but still couldn't decide. (glock 19, xd9, walther p99). He put all three on the counter (after insuring cleared status) and told me to look at the clock on the opposite wall. Then, with eyes closed (again, all three were verified clear by both he and myself) he told me to point at the center of the clock and open my eyes. I then knew that the Glock was an "instinctive pointer" for me, even though I liked the fit of the P99 better and the function of the Xd9 better. Congrats!!!
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    XDm, you will not be disappointed. FWIW, I have a bit of a soft spot for them and an aversion to the thing with a "G" on it ;). On another note I have three LEO friends that carry Grocks:P and they had never held an XDM/XDm and ALL THREE of them offered to trade me within a couple minutes of handling both of mine. Just sayin'...
    How they "feel" is at the bottom of my list of priorities. Do you honestly believe you can tell how a gun feels (or that it even matters) when your heartbeat is at 170-210 bpm, and you've lost fine motor control?

Sure, if your gun is a range toy only "feel" may be a bit higher on the list of priorities. As long as the gun points straight with your normal grip, then "feel" really doesn't matter one bit. Besides, the HK P30, Walther PPQ, CZ 75, Steyr M9, etc., etc. all "feel" better than both Glocks and XDm's by a long shot for a vast majority of the shooters on this forum.

I've never really been a fan of the Glock "feel," but it hasn't stopped me from owning six of them or carrying them every day!

(Hint: It's all about the Glock trigger reset).
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links