NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8 - Page 5

NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8

This is a discussion on NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I don't notice trigger reset either... to each their own, guess that's why there's tons of options out there. :)...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Well, I don't notice trigger reset either... to each their own, guess that's why there's tons of options out there. :)

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    How they "feel" is at the bottom of my list of priorities. Do you honestly believe you can tell how a gun feels (or that it even matters) when your heartbeat is at 170-210 bpm, and you've lost fine motor control?

Sure, if your gun is a range toy only "feel" may be a bit higher on the list of priorities. As long as the gun points straight with your normal grip, then "feel" really doesn't matter one bit. Besides, the HK P30, Walther PPQ, CZ 75, Steyr M9, etc., etc. all "feel" better than both Glocks and XDm's by a long shot for a vast majority of the shooters on this forum.

I've never really been a fan of the Glock "feel," but it hasn't stopped me from owning six of them or carrying them every day!

(Hint: It's all about the Glock trigger reset).
    1) Everyone's priorities are different
    2) How the gun feels can be AN indicator of fit
    3) Fit is even more important when you've lost your fine motor skills
    4) "Feel" is subjective. You can't say that one gun feels better than another when suggesting a gun to another
    kerberos likes this.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    4) "Feel" is subjective. You can't say that one gun feels better than another when suggesting a gun to another
    In reference to number 3 on your list. That's why I went Glock 19. The dealer opened my eyes to the fact that if I ever needed to use my sidearm in self defense, it should be on target by instinct as I will likely be pumped on adrenaline at the time.

Like I said, the P99 was a perfect "fit" for my hand, but the Glock was dead on to where I would point if blindfolded.

I will train sufficiently to overcome other issues.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    In reference to number 3 on your list. That's why I went Glock 19. The dealer opened my eyes to the fact that if I ever needed to use my sidearm in self defense, it should be on target by instinct as I will likely be pumped on adrenaline at the time.

Like I said, the P99 was a perfect "fit" for my hand, but the Glock was dead on to where I would point if blindfolded.

I will train sufficiently to overcome other issues.
    It sounds like you had a dealer who was trying to sell you the best gun for you and not for his bottom line; and that is a good thing. FWIW, it sounds like you made the right choice. Just more evidence that one gun won't be best for everyone.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    1. Feel and fit are the same in my book.

2. No, fit/feel won't matter when you've lost fine motor skills. Being able to point the gun straight with your natural grip is the only thing that matters because in a lethal force encounter, you will get tunnel vision on the target and will be unable to stare at the front sight. (Source: "On Combat," Lt. Col. Grossman)

I suggest looking up the histories of William Fairbairn and Jelly Bryce to get a better understanding of this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Correct me if I'm wrong Crowbait, but I'm defining fit and feel as two different things like you.

Went back and re-read this thread and can see that there is some confusion as I agree with both Crowbait AND AZ Hawk.

Here's MY definitions of the two:

Fit is the "instinctive aim" that will carry you through when in "fight or flight/tunnel vision" mode.

Feel is the way that the grip contours to your individual hand and the balance of the weapon.

I think both are important, but Fit is number 1 for me. Feel is something that I believe I will get used to.

Kinda like when you first start wearing a wedding band. At first the Fit is correct, but the Feel takes some getting used to, after time it just becomes your new normal.

Loving this back and forth though... I've learned so much from the members here by reading conversations like this and being forced to think in new ways.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong Crowbait, but I'm defining fit and feel as two different things like you.

Went back and re-read this thread and can see that there is some confusion as I agree with both Crowbait AND AZ Hawk.

Here's MY definitions of the two:

Fit is the "instinctive aim" that will carry you through when in "fight or flight/tunnel vision" mode.

Feel is the way that the grip contours to your individual hand and the balance of the weapon.

I think both are important, but Fit is number 1 for me. Feel is something that I believe I will get used to.

Kinda like when you first start wearing a wedding band. At first the Fit is correct, but the Feel takes some getting used to, after time it just becomes your new normal.

Loving this back and forth though... I've learned so much from the members here by reading conversations like this and being forced to think in new ways.
    I see what you mean.

I refer to your definition of fit as natural point of aim, and I agree that is by far the most important characteristic of any handgun I would use for SD/Duty/CC, etc.

And I agree that even if it feels odd at first, it can become normal. But if you practice out of the holster like I do, you really don't even notice the feel of the handgun; I've trained myself to only notice the weight of the gun.

Cheers.
    kerberos likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    I see what you mean.

I refer to your definition of fit as natural point of aim, and I agree that is by far the most important characteristic of any handgun I would use for SD/Duty/CC, etc.

And I agree that even if it feels odd at first, it can become normal. But if you practice out of the holster like I do, you really don't even notice the feel of the handgun; I've trained myself to only notice the weight of the gun.

Cheers.
    So, it would seem that we are all in agreement...even when we disagreed! Safe shooting.

-Russell
    kerberos likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links