NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8

This is a discussion on NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im new to this jus wanting some feedback on these two guns. I have had a chance to shoot the hell outta the 19(which I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8

NEEDING HELP!!!! G19 or the XDm 9mm 3.8

Im new to this jus wanting some feedback on these two guns. I have had a chance to shoot the hell outta the 19(which I like). but with the XDm comming out I'm not sure what to get. I ave held the xdm at a gun show I like the way it griped but when the metal meets the meat I want the better gun on my side.

2. Remove Ads

G19. I got mine for Christmas and I have been nothing but pleased with it.

Senior Moderator
    G19. Preferably 3rd Gen, IMHO.

Huge aftermarket support for grips / trigger parts / holsters / gadgets of all kinds.

Then, select one of the "DocGKR" approved defensive loads that function well in the gun and be at peace with the purchase. Spend the time you would have spent second-guessing, measurbating and worrying about which is the "better gun" into practice.

Because at the end of the day (or the gunfight), the "better shooter" will always prevail over the "better gun".
    Guest1, First Sgt and atctimmy like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

@ MattInFla, I have been leaning towards the G19 for its time hardened design, support, plus simplicity. My main problem with it is whether or not it’s got the concealblity of the XDm.

xdm 3.8=19+1 9x19, the math is simple.
    A_D likes this.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Love my XD but a lot of friends love their Glocks too. I conceal my 4" XD well but many believe its a bit large fro EDC.
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.C.BG.380 View Post
    Im new to this jus wanting some feedback on these two guns. I have had a chance to shoot the hell outta the 19(which I like). but with the XDm comming out I'm not sure what to get. I ave held the xdm at a gun show I like the way it griped but when the metal meets the meat I want the better gun on my side.
    The "XDm coming out" is not quite the same as the others that are currently on the market. The new "Slim" is different in a number of ways - this includes that, currently, as it is only in a 5+1 count format, chambering for the .45 ACP.

The only way that you can do this comparison is if you go and actually shoot the guns for yourself. Holding the gun in-hand, while a definite step up from just thinking about it , is akin to going to the showroom to sit in a car that you're thinking about buying. You're not going to get any dynamic feedback - not how the brakes feel, not the steering and transient responses, etc. Without actually firing a gun, you're also going to be missing out on that kind of feedback.

For me, that's the more "objective" (because, after all, this is a subjective measure, as what you're seeing with this is how the gun interacts with you, as a unique shooter) part of my concerns - I would go out and shoot, before you buy.

In terms of concealment, the biggest concern, really, is that both guns are "thick bricks." They're both double-stackers, and you're unfortunately not going to be able to get away from that.

Whether the Glock's additional grip length ("height" - at about a quarter of an inch over that of the XDm9 3.8 Compact, using the factory "flush" 13-round magazine) will matter in terms of concealment capability for you is something that is going to be affected by your anatomy and where you choose to carry the gun, as well as your choice of carry gear and how you carry using that gear (i.e. holster "setup"). Countering that would be the fact that most people will be able to get a full four-finger grip on the G19, and that there is an additional 2 rounds of capacity in the magazine with the G19, "flush."

So no more!

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

XDM 3.8 Great gun!
    A_D likes this.

I vote gen4 G19. Love mine and its been great. I have sold a couple XD's myself.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

@ TKRUF well played sir

@TSiWRX I see what your sayin but I have only had a chance to shoot the G19, an there is no place around here to rent an shoot the XDm

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Doh.

Do you have a local concealed-carry Forum community? There may be someone who will own either the Compact or the full-sized, who can help you get some range time with it?

I have a Gen 2 G19. It is one of my favorite firearms. Sweet shooter and very easy to conceal.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links