Dear Kahr Owners: TP9 or CW9 for perfect carry gun

This is a discussion on Dear Kahr Owners: TP9 or CW9 for perfect carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So... like many of us, I'm on the search for the perfect daily carry pistol. I'm trying to decide between the CW9 (or maybe even ...

Thread: Dear Kahr Owners: TP9 or CW9 for perfect carry gun

Dear Kahr Owners: TP9 or CW9 for perfect carry gun

So... like many of us, I'm on the search for the perfect daily carry pistol.

I'm trying to decide between the CW9 (or maybe even the K9) and the TP9.

I have my dad's CW9 on loan to me right now to carry for a while to see how I like it. So far I love it. I feel like it's oh-so-close to being the absolute perfect size for me.

I know this is a completely unfair comparison, but I went to the range yesterday and for fun, I was shooting the CW9 8 rounds, then the Glock 19 8 rounds. Each at 7rds, at about 1 round per second.

The groups on the Kahr rounds were much bigger than the Glock rounds.

Like I said... it's a totally unfair comparison. The glock has a longer line of site, it weighs more, and has a shorter trigger. I think some would say, "Then just get the glock". But all the double stacks are too wide for me. The Kahrs just disappear inside the waist band I love it.

So I got to thinking... what about the TP9. It's a 1/2 in longer in the grip, a little longer barrel and line of sight, and about 2.5 more ounces. Plus it carries an extra round.

I'm wondering if all those differences will improve my targeting. Or is it just that I need to get some more time behind the kahr (long) trigger?

I guess I'm really hoping for Kahr owners that have both the CW9 and the TP9 would chime in and tell me what you think of the two. I know they are small differences, but hey... Michael Phelps won his 7th gold metal by 0.01 seconds... so small differences can make a big difference when it matters, am I right?

Right now the CW9 is so comfortable to carry I almost feel like I'm cheating. Is the TP9 just as easy?

2. Remove Ads

I don't have a TP9, but the TP9 just a fancy higher priced version of a CW9. Just like the PM9 vs CM9. The TP9 would have things like machined slide release and polygonal barrel, verses the CW9 would be a solid cast slide release, rifled barrel, more of a square cut slide rather than fancy pattern cut, etc. I think you'd be just as happy with the CW9 as you would a TP9.

I have the PM9 and CW9 but I prefer the PM9 because it's a little lighter and easier to conceal than the CW9 because it's shorter grip/barrel. One less round. The PM9 does have the shorter grip but with a pinky extension floor plate swap, I get a fine grip on it.

I also have G19's and a G26, but find the Kahr easier to conceal. I carry OWB 2:30 - 3:00 in a Don Hume J.I.T. slide.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I don't have a TP9, but the TP9 just a fancy higher priced version of a CW9. Just like the PM9 vs CM9. The TP9 would have things like machined slide release and polygonal barrel, verses the CW9 would be a solid cast slide release, rifled barrel, more of a square cut slide rather than fancy pattern cut, etc. I think you'd be just as happy with the CW9 as you would a TP9.

I have the PM9 and CW9 but I prefer the PM9 because it's a little lighter and easier to conceal than the CW9 because it's shorter grip/barrel. One less round. The PM9 does have the shorter grip but with a pinky extension floor plate swap, I get a fine grip on it.

I also have G19's and a G26, but find the Kahr easier to conceal. I carry OWB 2:30 - 3:00 in a Don Hume J.I.T. slide.
    You're thinking of the wrong gun.. the TP9 is a larger gun.

Kahr Comparison.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Zepoll View Post
    You're thinking of the wrong gun.. the TP9 is a larger gun.

Kahr Comparison.JPG
    Gotcha! Ooops my bad! In that case, if you want the one extra round, it might be worth it to get the TP9. All of the Kahr's are nice guns.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    My wife has the CW9 and it has been an excellent choice for her. As for the "perfect" CC handgun, there isn't one. Just some that are better than others. Even that will change from day to day.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Well the larger it is and the heavier it does become a bit harder to carry all the time 365 days a year know matter what your doing. If you spend some time with the kahrs trigger you will find you can group very well with them. I shoot several different handguns when a go to the range. But I allways leave my CC pistol till last. It allways takes a couple trigger pulls to feel right and thens it nautral once again. If you buy a kahr by the time you get done putting enough rounds down range to CC it your glock will seem really odd for a few rounds too. If you IWB the kahr CW9 carries very well in an appendex position and is easy to cover. A longer pistol may not.

Kahr CW9 is pretty close to perfection, but I struggle with accuracy due to the long trigger. A pistol that is fairly close to the CW9 in size is the new Bersa BP 9cc. Great trigger with a very short reset and has three dot sights that my old eyes like. Both pistols are 7+1 9mm single stacks, but I find the Bersa much easier to shoot accurately.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have a CW9 and a TP45 and large variety of other guns the two I most carry are the Kahr Arms and of those two the CW9 gets the nod for it it's ease of carry. The trigger does have a loooong pull but it is consistent and verynpredictable just little practice. I actually shoot the TP45 a little better but I have large hands and it fits them a little better. The difference is not much so I carry both but when I dress light the CW9 is easier to conceal.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I bounced my way through several different carry guns and platforms for several years before adopting the simplicity and reliability of the CW9 a couple of years ago. I wanted something that was near in trigger feel to my daily da/sa revolver, and the CW9 fit the bill. It did take me a couple hundred rounds to get the feel of the trigger, and learn the long (but glass smooth) trigger, but for a SD pistol I'm now sold on the Kahr. So much so that I sold a beloved Sig P239 DA/SA last week and same day bought a Kahr CM9 so my CW9 would have a little brother. The shorter CM is just darned near as accurate (with 1/2 inch shorter barrel) as the CW, and runs just as flawlessly. Also, the triggers are identical.... and, for that matter all Kahr triggers are identical now (except for the silly New York trigger), all the so called "elite trigger".

Personally, I have a fondness for steel rather than tupperware, but consider what I've decided as the perfect for the need carry guns. (still carry a stainless SP101 .357 mag for daily field work)

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'm trying to decide between the CW9 (or maybe even the K9) and the TP9.
    My favorite Kahr is the TP9. I shoot it better than the CW9, or P9 and even the T9. The extra grip length must have something to do with it. The little extra barrel and sight-line length can't hurt either. This is a great carry gun, almost exactly the same size as a HK P7, but much lighter. I'd buy a TP9 over a CW9, (if I hadn't already bought both). Great gun.

I will say that I added the Hogue Handall Grip Jr. and it made tremendous difference in how the gun feels in my hand. Fill my palm so much better and I have a much more confident grip on it. I think my search is over.

Combine this with the Remora no clip holster and I'm good to go.

Links