Ruger LCP "walking" frame pins to be concerned about?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP "walking" frame pins to be concerned about? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious if any of you other LCP owners have issues with your frame pins moving left to right. I noticed it, and lightly hammered ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP "walking" frame pins to be concerned about?

Ruger LCP "walking" frame pins to be concerned about?

Just curious if any of you other LCP owners have issues with your frame pins moving left to right. I noticed it, and lightly hammered them back to flush, but after my range trip today, they moved right back to the way they were.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Will I be alright just leaving them as they are if they're just going to move back after every range session?

What exactly is the purpose of these pins? To hold the gun together?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

internal hammer pin

I've had an LCP for over a year...1000 rounds or so through it, haven't seen that problem.

never seen a pin move like that before, in any type of gun

i would be a little worried
    rigel42 likes this.

Pop it out and put some locktite on it. God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    It happens often. Lots of discussion on it at the Elsiepea forum, but i don't like the excessive moderation there. Any discussion of modifying the pistol in any way will quickly be removed, the mods must think the gun was designed by magicians who cannot be questioned. Many guys replace the pins with some .001 larger, but since it takes a lot of rounds to make them move it's not an issue in a carry gun.

NO!!!!!!!!,it's a hammer pin,you'll locktite the hammer to the pin.they are retained by a small spring,send it back for warranty,chances are the spring is weak,I see this on some G20&29's with heavy ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Pop it out and put some locktite on it. God Bless
    Taurahe likes this.

I've never had the issue with my LCP, so take this with a grain of salt as I've never done it. But I recall reading somewhere if you take the pin out and just SLIGHTLY bend it, it'll stay in place. In fact I think wherever I read that it said they usually give them a slight curve at the factory to prevent this. I'd look it up for verification though before trying something like that though.

I left the elsiepea forum for the same reason as Aborigine; but seem to remember the walking pin was a frequent topic with most folks (me too) just hammering the pin flush with a punch. Never seen this on any of my other handguns, even my Jennings .22.

Just sent it next day UPS on their dime... Thanks for the replies. This is the second time its going back, holding out hope for this little gun.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    NO!!!!!!!!,it's a hammer pin,you'll locktite the hammer to the pin.they are retained by a small spring,send it back for warranty,chances are the spring is weak,I see this on some G20&29's with heavy ammo.
    Thanks for catching that and correcting me. God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    FYI, this is not necessarly an issue. Mine has done the same thing. Pressing the pin back in on the corner of a hard table or desk resolves the issue. When you do this you will hear "POP" and and it is re-seated. Some LCPs do this but not all. Mostly serial numbers 272xxxxxx as I recall. DO NOT glue the pin with silly glue, grazy glue etc. If you do and the pistol has the be serviced, the pin will have to be drilled out.

I have see a lot of people screw these up by reading homebrew modifications. The LCP is designed as a SD pistol not a range gun where you would shoot several hundred rounds monthly.

Mine, rear pin notwithstanding, has been 100% since Feb. 14 2009. One final word, these little pistols do not have a top quality coating and since they are carried more than shot, frequent cleanings and lubrication is in order; Actually manditory.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Thats about right. Fire 100 rounds and mine will walk a bit, but i just push it back. If I have to use the weapon for its intended purpose, I won't be firing that many rounds. It isn't much fun as a range gun, too inacurate at respectable range to want my buddies to see, but thats not what it is for. My other longer pistols are much more accurate at 100 yards, and to me thats more fun.

Thanks for your comments, I tried pushing them back in but after 50 rounds they came right back out. Mine required more force than using a table, I had to physically hammer them in.

I'm sorry, but regardless of whether or not it was designed as a range gun-pins walking out of a two month old gun is ridiculous.

Ruger has it now.

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    Thanks for your comments, I tried pushing them back in but after 50 rounds they came right back out. Mine required more force than using a table, I had to physically hammer them in.

I'm sorry, but regardless of whether or not it was designed as a range gun-pins walking out of a two month old gun is ridiculous.

Ruger has it now.
    Ruger will have mine back for the walking pin issue and the distance issue, I was informed that my gun shoots fine at 7feet and the groupings were within spec....At 7 feet I might as well just smack them in the head with it!

Mine is doing the 15ft 3feet to the lower left and at 25 feet 5 feet lower left.......To me that's just not right when my ppk can reach out to 45/50ft fine!

I just got it back and I am pretty much re boxing it and sending it right back out as they pretty much didn't fix anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links