Glock 19......Again! - Page 2

Glock 19......Again!

This is a discussion on Glock 19......Again! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 40strapped I just don't get it. Almost all the professionals suggest and carry the Glock 19. They obviously know much more than ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Glock 19......Again!

twc
    Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    I just don't get it. Almost all the professionals suggest and carry the Glock 19. They obviously know much more than I, as do most of the members on this forum! Everyone here always speaks of the snappy recoil of other calibers, especially the .40, but to me the recoil with a Glock 19 is very comparable to a .40 and when you load it hot it is really pretty snappy.

Trigger is....ok
    Ergonomics......ok
    9mm......ok
    looks....not so much IMO
    Can't argue the reliability.

No disrespect to any Glock 19 owners....posted this mostly in fun.....but I just don't get it. The passion so many of you folks have for them is astounding.
    Trigger is ok...but can easily be made really really good.
    Looks...who cares. A weapon isn't a fashion statement.
    9mm...more firepower...cheaper to train with...faster follow up shots and easier to handle especially one handed. If the +p makes it feel like a 40 don't use +p.

VIP Member
    Going to shoot my new gen 3 G19 Wed. I am a 1911 and revolver guy. I like the size and capacity of the G19. If it shoots well I will carry it in leau of my more expensive 1911s. I will give you my update. I think I will like it. Going to shoot cheap ammo, expensive and reloads to see how it does. I also am going to upgrade the sights to tritium if I like it. I also will need to purchase a holster. If I don't like it I will just keep it in my safe and take it to the range every once n a while.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The Glock-19 is a great choice, but why not step up to the Glock-36 (.45)...better grip, and not as snappy as the .40.
    Personal opinion, but I would not consider the G36 a "step up" from a G19. Not to get into a caliber war (I'm considering a .45 myself) but you're comparing 16 rounds of 9mm to only 7 rounds of .45. Not even close.

I compared a G19, 30, and 36 side by side. The 30 and 36 are slightly smaller (length and height) than the 19, with the 30 being slightly thicker and the 36 slightly thinner. If I get a .45 Glock, it would be the 30 (11 rounds), with the ability to use G21 mags for a reload.

My wife, who is tiny, had no issues with the purported "thickness" of the G30, either. Plus, for home defense, the G30 (like the G19) has a rail for a tac light.

JMHO, YMMV.
    OldVet, shooterX and Toorop like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glocks are like that beat-up, 20-year-old Ford F150. Ain't much to look at, but when you need the job done, it will do it. Yeah, some makes are prettier or are the stuff of which legends are made, but there's a reason Glocks are so popular--and it isn't the just the price.
    Old School likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Glocks are kinda the AK's of the handgun world.
    Toorop likes this.

***And, on another note***

Adding the rear-activated Crimson Trace Laser to my G23 greatly improved the guns "lack" of ergonomics.

The CT laser blends right in to the factory handle, even has identically matching stippling, and just fills the hand more naturally than the Glock without the laser.
    10thmtn likes this.

G19 is a great gun. I don't see the big issue with the trigger. It may take a little bit of adjusting but once I got used to it the trigger was great.

I had a 36 and wasnt that wowed. Its a good gun, but seemed a little to slim to get a nice solid grip for me. Will be going for the 30 if I got for a .45 again.

VIP Member
    I have been playing with the idea of a Glock in my head for about a month. Have been trying to decide between a Glock 30, 36, or the 19. I don't really need the 19 for capacity as I have others that hold 19 rounds of 9mm.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    The Glock-19 is a great choice, but why not step up to the Glock-36 (.45)...better grip, and not as snappy as the .40.
    I've worked at 2 differen't ranges and both Glock 36s didn't hold up as well to the high round counts compared to other Glocks that were for rent.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

My first Glock

All my handguns were traditional wood and steel. Never liked the looks of Glocks, after shooting the 45 a.c.p. and 9m/m. I decided I would get one so I bought a 19 and I really like it , it shoots well, is sighted on and feels good, no problems with it in two months of shooting it. Just proves to me that I ain't so clever.

Well who knows. I may just buy a Glock 19 and try it out a while. Can't have to many guns I guess.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    A Glock 36 is a great little pistol, but you left out of your comparison the fact that the Glock 36 has about half the ammo of a 19. I'll take the extra rounds. YMMV.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I really tried to like the G19 but the finger grooves just didn't seem to fit my hand, leaving it feeling cramped after shooting 100 rounds or so. Bought a G17 instead and took care of that problem.

Glocks are great guns, just not for me.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by ming View Post
    I really tried to like the G19 but the finger grooves just didn't seem to fit my hand, leaving it feeling cramped after shooting 100 rounds or so. Bought a G17 instead and took care of that problem.
    That's strange the finger groves on a g17 and a g19 are in the exact same location. The frame on the 19 is just cut shorter. Sounds like you may not be gripping a semi automatic pistol correctly.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links