Defensive Carry banner

Glock 19......Again!

13K views 55 replies 40 participants last post by  MrBuckwheat 
#1 ·
I just don't get it. Almost all the professionals suggest and carry the Glock 19. They obviously know much more than I, as do most of the members on this forum! Everyone here always speaks of the snappy recoil of other calibers, especially the .40, but to me the recoil with a Glock 19 is very comparable to a .40 and when you load it hot it is really pretty snappy.

Trigger is....ok
Ergonomics......ok
9mm......ok
looks....not so much IMO
Can't argue the reliability.

No disrespect to any Glock 19 owners....posted this mostly in fun.....but I just don't get it. The passion so many of you folks have for them is astounding.

#2 ·
Well, let's see...

Reasonably priced (especially if you can get a blue label LE gun); reasonable size and weight; excellent capacity; will take G17 and G18 mags; handles +P ammo; reliable as gravity; good sights; good trigger with an outstanding reset; easily controlled, even with one hand; will not rust; excellent aftermarket support; no thumb safeties, mag dsconnect, or "Hillary hole"; etc

The haters will find some nit to pick, but as you said, the professionals carry lots of G19s for good reasons.

I don't give a rip what they look like. They work.

#5 ·
Hey, whatever floats your boat, man..lol

I wanted to like Glocks for YEARS and just couldn't seem to like them until they came out with the Gen 4 which fits me much better than its predecessors. I shoot it well and find the capacity vs weight vs recoil vs concealability to work pretty well for me but that's me. I won't go telling everyone to go down and get one and I won't be heartbroken if they choose an M&P or Sig or HK or Bersa over a Glock.

For some it's just not their gun.. it wasn't mine for a long time either.

#6 ·
I have to disagree with what you said about it being, comparable to the .40 in regards to being snappy. "Not" The 9mm is no where near as snappy as the .40. Even with a hot load, it's not as snappy. A .380 on the other hand "is" comparable to the .40. Just like a .40 (lesser cartridge than the .45) is snappier than the .45, the .380 (lesser cartridge than the 9mm) is snappier than the 9mm. That is my opinion from firing various .380, 9mm, .40, and .45 handguns.

Yeah the Glock may be ugly as far as some are concerned, but the BG doesn't care how pretty your gun is.

#8 ·
Cant really argue with anything anyone said....

Except for tkruf. I didn't say 9mm is comparable to .40 cal in recoil.... I said a Glock 19 is comparable to MY .40s in recoil. Just seems like the 19 has a lot of felt recoil for a 9mm... In my opinion. Which with my little experience isn't worth much.

#10 ·
I see alot of post on Glock being an ugly gun I don't know if some of you have seen the new 4th gen Nickel Boron finish, I like the Glocks looks as is it's looks like a bully...LOL here is a pic of the new two tone Glock Gun Trigger Firearm Airsoft gun Gun accessory

#12 ·
The Glock-19 is a great choice, but why not step up to the Glock-36 (.45)...better grip, and not as snappy as the .40.

#18 ·
Personal opinion, but I would not consider the G36 a "step up" from a G19. Not to get into a caliber war (I'm considering a .45 myself) but you're comparing 16 rounds of 9mm to only 7 rounds of .45. Not even close.

I compared a G19, 30, and 36 side by side. The 30 and 36 are slightly smaller (length and height) than the 19, with the 30 being slightly thicker and the 36 slightly thinner. If I get a .45 Glock, it would be the 30 (11 rounds), with the ability to use G21 mags for a reload.

My wife, who is tiny, had no issues with the purported "thickness" of the G30, either. Plus, for home defense, the G30 (like the G19) has a rail for a tac light.

JMHO, YMMV.

#15 ·
The 19 does everything well.

Cost, weight, capacity, size, quality, simplicity, part/aftermarket support etc.........

I have other firearms that are better in one category, but nothing touches it overall.

Show me ONE firearm that isn't a Glock that has the same or better size/weight specs, holds at least 15 rounds, can be bought for the same price or less, has the same or better aftermarket support, high capacity magazines from the manufacture and where your average Joe/Jane civilian can become a certified armorer from the manufacturer.

#16 ·
Trigger is ok...but can easily be made really really good.
Looks...who cares. A weapon isn't a fashion statement.
9mm...more firepower...cheaper to train with...faster follow up shots and easier to handle especially one handed. If the +p makes it feel like a 40 don't use +p.

#17 ·
Going to shoot my new gen 3 G19 Wed. I am a 1911 and revolver guy. I like the size and capacity of the G19. If it shoots well I will carry it in leau of my more expensive 1911s. I will give you my update. I think I will like it. Going to shoot cheap ammo, expensive and reloads to see how it does. I also am going to upgrade the sights to tritium if I like it. I also will need to purchase a holster. If I don't like it I will just keep it in my safe and take it to the range every once n a while.

#19 ·
Glocks are like that beat-up, 20-year-old Ford F150. Ain't much to look at, but when you need the job done, it will do it. Yeah, some makes are prettier or are the stuff of which legends are made, but there's a reason Glocks are so popular--and it isn't the just the price.

Reactions: Old School
#21 ·
***And, on another note***

Adding the rear-activated Crimson Trace Laser to my G23 greatly improved the guns "lack" of ergonomics.

The CT laser blends right in to the factory handle, even has identically matching stippling, and just fills the hand more naturally than the Glock without the laser.

#22 ·
G19 is a great gun. I don't see the big issue with the trigger. It may take a little bit of adjusting but once I got used to it the trigger was great.

I had a 36 and wasnt that wowed. Its a good gun, but seemed a little to slim to get a nice solid grip for me. Will be going for the 30 if I got for a .45 again.

#25 ·
My first Glock

All my handguns were traditional wood and steel. Never liked the looks of Glocks, after shooting the 45 a.c.p. and 9m/m. I decided I would get one so I bought a 19 and I really like it , it shoots well, is sighted on and feels good, no problems with it in two months of shooting it. Just proves to me that I ain't so clever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.