New Smith & Wesson quality

This is a discussion on New Smith & Wesson quality within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I used my bonus from work to get a new snub nose 38 to replace the Charter Arms I gave to my mother. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New Smith & Wesson quality

Yesterday I used my bonus from work to get a new snub nose 38 to replace the Charter Arms I gave to my mother.
    I picked out a Smith & Wesson 442. I had been debating between the Smith 442/642’s and a Ruger LCR.
    After looking at several side by side and dry-firing them, I picked the 442. I had read that a lot of people like the trigger on the LCR better, but the Smith I bought is just as smooth as the three different Rugers I tried. It is a little heavier, but not a lot on mine.
    I am very impressed with the fit and finish on it. Night and day difference from the Charter or my Taurus revolver. Both of the others work just fine, but they are not even close to the S&W in quality. I bought it for pocket carry and it seemed so much nicer in the pocket and hand than the Ruger.
    It does have the internal lock, but that does not bother me at all, I could not find a no lock model locally and needed to get it soon enough to test before a long cross country drive (2000 miles from Massachusetts to Colorado).

I could not be happier with the fit and function on this gun, right out of the box the trigger is butter smooth and after cleaning and oiling it, it runs (at least with snap caps) like a Swiss watch.
    They seem to be making them right, MIM parts, locks and all.

Suweet. Should serve ya well for CC.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    you paid extra for the fine trigger and overall workmanship-- and at trade in ( if you can part with it...) you will get all that money and more back.
    the charter and Taurus are seldom ever even worth half of new. the S&W in 5 to 8 years will get you close to what you paid.
    most do not think of guns as investments, but as 'value-for-money', S&W delivers.

travel well...pleasure or business?
    helderberg and gasmitty like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Claude, business, sort of, I am flying to Mass to drive a U haul and car trailer back to Colorado for my mother in law.Not really looking forward to it.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ua need one of those yellow stickers that say "MIL in Trunk"

...but most stop screaming after 500 miles.
    helderberg likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Just a question. It appears you are from CO. MA does not accept other state permits and is a destination for you. Do you have a MA permit? You may well have already done so, but if not, please check handgunlaw.us to be sure you can legally fly into MA and drive back to CO with whatever permits you have.
    JerryMac likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Smith made their first J frame in 1950 (according to my source). They've had plenty of time to get the hang of it.

I have a 360 (the hammered version of your weapon in 357) and could not be happier with it. I have been very happy with every Smith & Wesson weapon I have purchased.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

GM
    Nice Congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

congrats on the new 442,get a Desantis Nemesis holster and your set..

The flight,the drive or..... the mother-in-law
    Quote Originally Posted by 303british View Post
    Claude, business, sort of, I am flying to Mass to drive a U haul and car trailer back to Colorado for my mother in law.Not really looking forward to it.

40 years from now, you will really appreciate their quality. I bought one in 1970 and it still looks and functions great!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I looked into the laws when I set up the trip, I am actually flying into Connecticut and driving over the border to Massachusetts to pick up the truck. I can legally fly with the gun (I am taking a large rolling Pelican case for luggage) but it will have to be locked in the case until I’m out of CT, MA, NJ, and NY. I can legally carry in PA, IN, MO, and KS that is the majority of my trip.

Federal law allows for the transportation of guns, even across states that you cannot carry in. There is always a chance I may have some issues, but I refuse to drive that far unarmed.

From what I have found, it is not that hard to fly with firearms if you follow the law. Your baggage is actually more secure, once TSA checks it, it stays locked with your locks for the entire trip and cannot be opened until your destination. That is why I am using the large hard case as my luggage instead of a small locked case in my bag.

You have a great gun there, I hope you have many years of enjoyment and confidence with it.
    Have a safe trip, Frank.

Don't stop in NY or NJ. Don't mention that you have a firearm if you can avoid it in those states. They prefer to lock people up, then follow the federal laws.

Hope you have a safe and uneventful trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links