light wt and accuracy, 9 vs. 380. what is real world experience

This is a discussion on light wt and accuracy, 9 vs. 380. what is real world experience within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always been a believer in that the easier it is to carry, the more likely you will. Cameras, watches, etc. I always go ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: light wt and accuracy, 9 vs. 380. what is real world experience

I have always been a believer in that the easier it is to carry, the more likely you will. Cameras, watches, etc. I always go for light weight if I can.

I am looking at small 380 vs. small 9s. I know this has been talked to death on this forum. I have read tons of threads on "is the abc better than the def".

However, let me add accuracy in to the equation. Say between 10-20'.

I am looking for actual experience on shooting between say a sig238/walther ppk vs. ruger lcp/kahr 9mm. (you can add in others of this ilk if you have the real world experience, I just picked these because they are very popular)

Unfortuately, I can't find a place to try these out, I can hold them in my hand. While the 380s are smaller, if I am not going to be on target in a high adrenaline situation at 15', saving 5 ounces is not worth it. 3 that can hit the chest vs. 3 that go wide or low is much more important to me. Not looking to save $ either, same principal applies.

Ideally, I would like to hear that small 380s are just as accurate as small 9s. I am wondering about that as just holding I only get 2 fingers around the 380 grip vs. 3 with the 9. So my thoughts are that it would be harder to be more accurate, but maybe practice takes that out?

So if you have actually tried several of these vs. each other, I would be very interested in hearing your experience and results. Thanks!

I look at handgun choices differently than most - I have owned and shot several of these calibers, and like both - I always feel it is "I" that have to adapt to a guns size, shortcomings, etc. because "WE" can adapt, the gun cannot - so just get what you like, practice, and adapt - there is no "perfect" gun out there (except maybe the FNP.45 ) so just use the extra allowance you are afforded to buy ammo and PRACTICE , PRACTICE, PRACTICE ! (remember to have fun too)

thanks. however, did you find your accuracy any different with either the 380 vs. the 9?

The only .380 I've fired was an old Mauser compact. Compared to a G17 at the same time, I felt my accuracy was better with the G17. Size differences notwithstanding, I felt that the 9mm was far more accurate, simply because of my anticipation and flinch with the .380. Lots of flash and bark, and deplorable ergos. Again, probably not a fair comparison, but it's all I've got.

I can shoot my LCP just as accurate as my LC9, and the sights are non-existent.
    kwoodford likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Kel-Tec P11 (14 oz unloaded) for a 9mm. 10+1 rounds and your hand will hate you.
    but they are capable of 4" fast fire groups at 21 feet.
    K-T p380 is 6+1 and under 7 ounces unloaded. with a slip in holster and practice, expect 4" fast fire groups.
    shoot a box and the web of your hand will tell you the next day that it did not like the experience.

if you can go with more weight, say 20 ounces, recoil wise, both cartridges become rather tame.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I have a Guardian .380....at 10 to 20'0 it's pretty much dead on............what's the problem ?
    Wouldn't shoot at a target beyond that anyway......I could probably pretty much escape.

I practice my defense arms at the distance equal to my average room width in my home.......that is the distance (or less) I would be threatened......if I can hit a pie plate and 12 feet, consistantly and quickly, with two shots, I'm happy......benchrest, slow-fire, sights mean nothing to me in defense.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    Kel-Tec P11 (14 oz unloaded) for a 9mm. 10+1 rounds and your hand will hate you.
    but they are capable of 4" fast fire groups at 21 feet.
    K-T p380 is 6+1 and under 7 ounces unloaded. with a slip in holster and practice, expect 4" fast fire groups.
    shoot a box and the web of your hand will tell you the next day that it did not like the experience.
    this is the type of info i am looking for! (don't care about my hands, in real situation, i not shooting a whole box;-)

glad to hear that you can be within a 4" circle at 20' with the kel tec 380!

FWIW...

My experience accuracy wise, mostly at 5- 7 yards and respectable speed, is:

Ruger LCP - dismal, hungry man pie plate
    NAA Guardian - fair, salad plate
    Kahr PM9 - good, saucer
    Sig P238 - very good, dessert dish

My adjectives are subjective and may differ from others. I have never measured the groups nor used a timer with "get off me" guns.

I have shot a 1.5 inch group at 7 yards with my LCP despite the almost non-existent sights. I can keep all shots in the forehead of a target at ten yards. Last trip to the range with it I was putting holes in the left eye of a zombie target at ten yards.

IMG955822.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I have shot a 1.5 inch group at 7 yards with my LCP despite the almost non-existent sights. I can keep all shots in the forehead of a target at ten yards. Last trip to the range with it I was putting holes in the left eye of a zombie target at ten yards.

IMG955822.jpg
    Is this with the new version with laser? Also, is this rapid fire or taking you time and carefully aiming?

Find this interesting as paladin's post above yours says lcp aim is poor vs sig238, but of course as he says, to each his own. it seems he is shooting rapid fire, so wanted to see if you were doing the same..

VIP Member
    My PPK/S is more accurate than a LC9, SW380,Bersa Thunder .380. It has SA/DA. The DAO on the Ruger is long and inconsistant. But the PPK/S costs $200.00 more and weighs more but its all metal. I will pick up a LC9 at some point if I can find a huge deal on one. You never can have too many. I think I am going to get a Sig next.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Is this with the new version with laser? Also, is this rapid fire or taking you time and carefully aiming?

Find this interesting as paladin's post above yours says lcp aim is poor vs sig238, but of course as he says, to each his own. it seems he is shooting rapid fire, so wanted to see if you were doing the same..
    As you can see in the pic I don't have a laser. That was slow aimed fire. It helped my aim to put some bright paint on the front sight. Still, I can keep my shots on a paper plate or smaller group at ten yards or less with fairly rapid fire. I used to think my Glock was inaccurate until I got used to the trigger. Same thing can be said of any pistol. Accuracy issues are caused by grip and finger placement on the trigger and are worse with a big hand on a small grip or vice versa. Once I got used to the small grip, accuracy was no problem. I think that the LCP trigger is better than the LC9 or PF9 IMHO. It's smooth and light with no stacking. I dry fired the LC9 and PF9 and wasn't impressed with the triggers compared to LCP.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I can say the size of the pistol and the size of your hand may dictate for you what you can get to and control well. I don't like the small 380's .Just a bit to little to get quick control of. After that most any pistol with practice and with rounds fired, you can become affective with it.

I carried a taurus 85 for 20 years. Great revolver . When the "lite weight " pistol finally became popular I bought a KT pf-9. Nice and lite ,big enough to get a hold of and accurate for a small light 9mm. Not a fun pistol for range sessions. I carried it for 2 1/2 years . Bought used Kahr CW9 cheap. After it proved it worked well,better trigger and very controlable I then bought the smaller CM9. It now is my pocket carry pistol with the CW9 being my IWB and the KT went to a new home.

I have CC'd for 26 years and allways practice a type of point shooting. I bring the pistol to about a normal height but look over the pistol with both eyes looking for trouble. I can place all rounds in center of a man sized chest area every time at 10yards in about a 6 by 12" area. Sighted fire is more like 4 to 5" at 10 yards for double taps . It just takes pratice, practice , practice. For a CC handgun i look for a pistol that has no extra's or levers to deal with an a longer double action type trigger pull so know shots get fire by mistake.

Brand!!! You have to figure that out all by your self. If thre's pistols ones out there did not work well for the majority the companies would be gone quickly.
    Chesafreak and mr surveyor like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links