Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP - Page 10

Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

This is a discussion on Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tns0038 Well I have not fired 1700 rounds thought my Gen 3 Glock 17 or Gen 3 Glock 26. But with several ...

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Well I have not fired 1700 rounds thought my Gen 3 Glock 17 or Gen 3 Glock 26. But with several hundred rounds thought each, they have been flawless.

Ive read some reports from those with the new Gen 4 and a few were having problems. But from reports Ive read, Glock resolved the issues in July of 2011.

Shooeee! i just got a new 17 G4 yesterday the test fire rrounds in the box were dated August 2011. went to the range with 230 rounds and after about 135 caught two cases to the face and it failed to eject. case was caught between slide and barrel. loose round fell out of mag well when pulled

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itatorro View Post
    Shooeee! i just got a new 17 G4 yesterday the test fire rrounds in the box were dated August 2011. went to the range with 230 rounds and after about 135 caught two cases to the face and it failed to eject. case was caught between slide and barrel. loose round fell out of mag well when pulled
    Honestly I am sorry for you. My G17 did the same thing. I bet when it was working it had the best damn trigger in the world though! LOL

I have said this before, they need to do a real recall on this model which includes the extractor, ejector, and recoil spring. Call them and make them fix it.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I got whatcha saying , but IMO the M&P9c is a better match for the G19 and it beats the specifications for the 19 in some areas and just misses by a tad in others.

M&P9c: over all length = 6.7" Weight, = 21.7 barrel length = 3.5". with the flush mag in and 13 rounds of 9mm it stands @ a Height of = 4.375". Take the same pistol and slap the standard full size mag in and you got 17 + 1 rounds.... I don't know, but it seems kinda even to me as far as 9mm goes.. Anyway, I'm not trying to convert anyone. I made my conversion a few months back and I'm content and please with my decision.. Personally I'm glad you like your Glock and are proud of it, that's how it should be IMO... I own too many different pistols to tout one brand or platform over an other. I was just making small talk and meant no disrespect to the Glock crowd, IMO, we're all brothers in arms.
    No hard feelings, heck, it's sorta like arguing Ford vs. Chevy. Except that everyone knows that Ford is better.

I just like the "not too small, not too big" nature of the G19. I've owned the M&P 9c before, and found that I didn't like the 2 finger grip, and it didn't fill my hand enough, even with the pinky baseplate. I like the ability to use the G17 and G18 mags in the G19, and I prefer the Glock trigger to the M&P trigger, even with APEX parts installed.

I did do ONE thing today with a Glock that you probably won't do with any M&P. I picked up a police trade-in G17 (Gen 2) in great condition for $295 at a local police supply store. Might go back tomorrow and get another one, even though I don't need it. Hard to let a Glock sit in the case, for $295!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    No hard feelings, heck, it's sorta like arguing Ford vs. Chevy. Except that everyone knows that Ford is better.

I just like the "not too small, not too big" nature of the G19. I've owned the M&P 9c before, and found that I didn't like the 2 finger grip, and it didn't fill my hand enough, even with the pinky baseplate. I like the ability to use the G17 and G18 mags in the G19, and I prefer the Glock trigger to the M&P trigger, even with APEX parts installed.

I did do ONE thing today with a Glock that you probably won't do with any M&P. I picked up a police trade-in G17 (Gen 2) in great condition for $295 at a local police supply store. Might go back tomorrow and get another one, even though I don't need it. Hard to let a Glock sit in the case, for $295!
    Awesome! Congrats on the find... Yeah, I'd say that's one heck of a good deal for a good condition Gen 2 Glock. I'd like to come across a deal or two like that myself..

And being a 1st time 05 Silverado 4x4 owner myself that has developed some drivetrain issues, I'd opt for the FORD myself.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by itatorro View Post
    It's likely one that was in someone's stock before all the fixes were in. Glock will fix it. They have the fixes in place.

I have a G17 Gen 4 with 350 rounds through it, and the last 150 rounds were with a TLR-2 light/laser combo. That's one of the bigger, heavier units out there. Through all 350 rounds, my G17 Gen 4 has been flawless in every respect - no cases hitting me in the face - not one; no jams, no nothing.

I've done slow fire and rapid fire - it just works. The 350 rounds is a low count but in two more weeks I'll have about 850 rounds through it and we'll see how it's doing. But, there are Gen 4 owners with thousands of trouble free rounds through their Gen 4s. But, there are still some guns out there that need some updates - Glock will take care of you.

Hang in there, once it's fixed you won't believe it, it shoots so good.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Though I do love my G27 (my wife's edc), it is the only hand gun of mine to ever fail. The recoil spring caused a malfunction that had to be repaired by a gunsmith. He stated that he had seen a few gen 3 G's with this problem. It has been going strong since the repair.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    Though I do love my G27 (my wife's edc), it is the only hand gun of mine to ever fail. The recoil spring caused a malfunction that had to be repaired by a gunsmith. He stated that he had seen a few gen 3 G's with this problem. It has been going strong since the repair.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    I understand, but any gun can fail. Kimbers have been known to fail a time or two also. The important thing is it typical or atypical. I'm not aware that Glocks fail any more frequently than any other brand.

Just to be clear, I wasn't implying you were saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I understand, but any gun can fail. Kimbers have been known to fail a time or two also.
    Understatement of the century.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    Understatement of the century.
    Granted there was a period of time many years ago that Kimber went through some difficulties, similar to what Glock is now. But just like Kimber came through their troubled era, so will Glock.

Granted there was a period of time many years ago that Kimber went through some difficulties, similar to what Glock is now. But just like Kimber came through their troubled era, so will Glock.
    They came through it? No offense but think they are still in it.

Another 200 trouble-free rounds through G19-4 this weekend. Total now stands at 700.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

My gen 3 19 has over 10K rounds thru it w/o issue. I always clean and lube after shooting of any kind. I also have a gen 3 23 with over 6500 rounds same thing. No issues. Not saying the others are telling tall tails but this has been a review of my experiences with my Glocks.

VIP Member
    I guess that pretty much says it.

Hawk,
    Just a couple of things. First, the DCEAK costs about what $90 to get the M&P trigger to work better - not as good as a Glock trigger but better than the stock M&P trigger. If you want to change the Glock trigger, say to a 3.5# connector, it's $25 and for that you can even get a over-travel control.

If reset isn't a problem, why are so many people buying the APEX kits?

The LW aluminum frame has the same grip angle, at least the same mag channel angle. It would have to or the mag lips would be at the wrong angle. If people are going to the LW frame, it's mostly for competition - it's gonna be heavier, etc. Which raises the question, if M&Ps are the way to go, why are so many people buying LW frames? Why not just buy an M&P?

I own both Glocks and M&Ps and I like the Gen 4s better than any of them. I realize you had a bad copy of a gen 4, but that was then and this is now - the gen 4s aren't like yours. There are more and more reports of thousands of flawless, enjoyable rounds fired by happy gen 4 owners. The problems are resolved; and Glock is fixing problems for the owners that bought Gen 4s before all the fixes were in place.

I realize that many have had problems with late production gen 3s and gen 4s, but all that's pretty much behind us. My gen 4s are the only guns that can pry a Hk or Sig out of my holster for carry.
    M&P Pro (which is right in around the same price as a Glock). They have a nicer trigger then a standard M&P as they have the sear worked on like APEX from the S&W factory. You can get a 25.00 ram kit from apex tactical if you have to have a major reset. I guess I don't see what the big dollar difference you are talking about. It also comes standard with 4.5 lb trigger, novaks, and a fiber optic front sight.

Not to throw off the thread, but your numbers are off with regards to what you think the actual dollars are and what you get for those dollars.

M&P Pro 526.00 plus 25.00 RAM kit. = 551.00
    S&W M&P40 PRO 40 5" Novak Rear/FO Front 4.5lb. Trigger $526.00 SHIPS FREE

Glock 23 (Plastic Sights) 549.00 add cash for sights and 3.5 connector which is easily 125-150 if you do the work yourself. 574.00 with just connector 699.00 for comparable model.

Glock G23 G4 40S 13RD FS $549.00 SHIPS FREE
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

One thing I have never got about all this "trigger" stuff on these combat pistols... I buy my guns for defensive purposes and not the range. Who in the heck needs the "APEX" trigger or any of the other trigger mods on a defensive pistol anyway. IMO, the stock Glock and M&P triggers are just fine for what they were designed for. When the pooh hits the fan and it's time to get down and dirty, that little fraction of a reset and smidgen of slickness on the break isn't gonna save your ass, so why bother. If it's a dedicated rang gun then alright customize away, but other than that I'd say, either of these two pistols in question are awesome selections for self defense...

Just one more thought in closing....

I'd get the M&P, IMO it's a better overall pistol.

MP it's for me...

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    My numbers are what it cost me to get my M&P equipped with the DCEAK and RAM kit, and I installed it myself. And my M&P has plastic sights and the front white insert has fallen out which seems to be a common problem with M&Ps.

S&W may have lowered the price on M&Ps since I bought mine. In any event, I had to pay some big bucks to get the trigger working right. Even if one could buy a standard M&P For $399, i.e. not the pro, it would still cost $90 + $23 = $113 for the DCEAK and the RAM kit, which it needs. That's what it would cost if they did the work themselves. That would bring the total cost to $512 and I doubt one could ever recover that cost in a sale and especially not in a trade. One could switch back to the original setup and hope to sell the APEX kits separately, but what a hassle.

All that aside, I still like the Gen 4 Glocks better, but that's just a personal thing, not necessarily a reflection on the guns per se.

Links