Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

This is a discussion on Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by azchevy It's comments like this that i am responding to: But I am done arguing with someone who forgets what he posted. ...

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    It's comments like this that i am responding to:

But I am done arguing with someone who forgets what he posted. Seems like you got it all figured out. Good luck to you.
    So the point of defensive shooting is NOT to get lots of hits quickly on the target?
    DRM likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    So the point of defensive shooting is NOT to get lots of hits quickly on the target?
    If you are proficient with getting a lot of hits on target in a static environment like IPDA.... no. I dont know about you but I am not going to stand there in my stance with my perfect grip looking down the sights... but hey... whatever floats your boat.

I'm still stuck back in the day.....I don't need the current (state of the art)-what's best for us engineering. Old-fashioned isn't always out of date. I often make good money from our disposable society and those who still drive a Chevy instead of a Lincoln. Recycling is the way of the future....the future will drive many to ruin themselves.

If you are proficient with getting a lot of hits on target in a static environment like IPDA.... no. I dont know about you but I am not going to stand there in my stance with my perfect grip looking down the sights... but hey... whatever floats your boat.
    I agree, but IDPA is better than nothing.

I do most of my SD training "Getting off the X" at an outdoor range out here. Lots of point shooting, one handed shooting and shooting while on the move. However, a lot of people don't have access to an outdoor range and/or the desert, and the best they've got is static shooting at an indoor range or IDPA...
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I understand, but any gun can fail. Kimbers have been known to fail a time or two also. The important thing is it typical or atypical. I'm not aware that Glocks fail any more frequently than any other brand.

Just to be clear, I wasn't implying you were saying that.
    I agree. I was simply sharing an experience that I personally had with my particular G27. Neither of my Kimbers have ever failed though being manmade creations I know the possibility exists.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    But IDPA is not static. IDPA is not about standing there. There may be some stages that are static, but it involves seeking cover and shooting on the move, reloading behind cover and if you don't use available cover you get penalized. In fact, if you don't move quite enough as you engage the targets you can get penalty points. And again, IDPA matches often include moving targets.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I agree. I was simply sharing an experience that I personally had with my particular G27. Neither of my Kimbers have ever failed though being manmade creations I know the possibility exists.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    I gotcha. I'm a little sensitive about the MIM stuff, I caught a bunch of flack about MIM when I posted I had bought a Kimber. By the tone of replies, all the MIM parts would disintegrate in no time. Of course that hasn't happened. My SA TRP extractor broke within 50 rounds though and it wasn't MIM.

Senior Moderator
    OK, guys, we drifted long and far. I've been very tolerant with the drift because drifts can be interesting too. But this 'drift' is mostly arguing and I strongly suspect it is being driven more from personal conflict than the topic.

So let's all get back on subject. People that open this thread expecting to see on topic posts are not served very well with the off-topic bickering. So, let's go back to civil here and get back on topic. Some drift is fine, but this no longer bears any resemblance or even remote connection to the subject.

I am going to start deleting off topic posts; probably should have already been doing that.

Tangle, as a point of interest, and it has some connections with your State Police issue thread, one of the things that impressed Ky LE about the Glock, was that in the after math of Katrina, we sent some officers there to assist in helping. During the time they were there, many of the assignments resulted in the Glocks being exposed to, and at times, submerged in sea water. Due to the tempo of operations performing water rescues and so forth, these Glocks were not cleaned or cared for at all.

Reports were that many of the weapons other than Glocks commonly carried by other officers from other states experienced severe corrosion, primarily barrel to slide, and springs. The Glocks were absolutely impervious to the sea water.

If you remember, I posted a thread with pics a couple of years ago, where I took my g26 on vacation and continuously submerged in the salty surf of the ocean to see this for myself.
    After several complete submerges and allowing it to air dry, there was absolutely no rust to be found. And even a week after returning, there were no signs of rust.

So, even with the " growing pains" of improvement of the design, I can think of no other firearm within the price range of the Glock that allows this kind of abusive and remain fully serviceable.
    This is in my opinion why it remains the best.
    AZ Hawk and glockfan23 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Tangle, as a point of interest, and it has some connections with your State Police issue thread, one of the things that impressed Ky LE about the Glock, was that in the after math of Katrina, we sent some officers there to assist in helping. During the time they were there, many of the assignments resulted in the Glocks being exposed to, and at times, submerged in sea water. Due to the tempo of operations performing water rescues and so forth, these Glocks were not cleaned or cared for at all.

Reports were that many of the weapons other than Glocks commonly carried by other officers from other states experienced severe corrosion, primarily barrel to slide, and springs. The Glocks were absolutely impervious to the sea water.

If you remember, I posted a thread with pics a couple of years ago, where I took my g26 on vacation and continuously submerged in the salty surf of the ocean to see this for myself.
    After several complete submerges and allowing it to air dry, there was absolutely no rust to be found. And even a week after returning, there were no signs of rust.

So, even with the " growing pains" of improvement of the design, I can think of no other firearm within the price range of the Glock that allows this kind of abusive and remain fully serviceable.
    This is in my opinion why it remains the best.
    I had forgotten all about that but now that you mention it, I remember that! I'm glad you posted that. I remember your frolic in the sea with your Glock too.

Chuck Taylor left his for a month, maybe longer (memory issue here) in the ocean and it had minimal effects, I think there was a slight bit of corrosion at the tip of the slide release. He also packed it in cow manure for a period of time too.

While that sort of stuff isn't necessarily a thing we'd ever subject our SD gun to, it sure doesn't hurt to know how tough a Glock is. That's the kind of thing thing that added to the Glock 'uber' reliability. But the NO thing you posted is real-world, not some test.

I wish I could remember who said it, but it was some famous gun guy on the reliability of Glocks. In summary, he said this about having go in harm's way and needing a sidearm, but NOT being able to test fire it first... If he had to pick from a box of unknown, used and abused guns...he'd pick the Glock every time. If you took him into a gun store and gave him the pick of any brand new handgun in the place...he'd pick the Glock every time. Not because it was his favorite firearm, but because he knew it would have the absolute best chance of going bang...every time...
    DRM likes this.

You know Mhunter, I'd have to agree. While the Glock is not my favorite gun for shear enjoyability, it is my favorite for it's utility and performance. It's lightweight, easy to shoot well and reliable, and, it's priced right. You can put it on , wear it in all conditions, including against the skin on a hot summer day, and not have to worry about it. Hard not to like that.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    You know Mhunter, I'd have to agree. While the Glock is not my favorite gun for shear enjoyability, it is my favorite for it's utility and performance. It's lightweight, easy to shoot well and reliable, and, it's priced right. You can put it on , wear it in all conditions, including against the skin on a hot summer day, and not have to worry about it. Hard not to like that.
    Well, Gman, I never intended to reveal this, but your post about your splash in the sea with your Glock made more of an impression on me than I disclosed. It wasn't so much that there was practicality in doing that, it was that you could! You asked in the post what other gun could you do that with, and other than non-Glock guns with special after-market treatments, I couldn't think of any.

Sig now has a model that has all internals treated, but my goodness one could probably buy three Glocks for the price of it.

And here, you hit on the some of the very things that keep me coming back to Glock. They are light, you don't have to worry about sweat getting on them. The internals are as impervious as the externals.

Administrator
    I think the biggest things GLock does right is they build a pistol that can compete with any of top shelf offerings without the top shelf price. They are as simply built as possible. They keep parts inexpensive and readily available. After that, everything else is icing on the cake.
    Tangle likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

^^^^yep!^^^^

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Links