Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

This is a discussion on Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm You know Mhunter, I'd have to agree. While the Glock is not my favorite gun for shear enjoyability, it is my ...

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    You know Mhunter, I'd have to agree. While the Glock is not my favorite gun for shear enjoyability, it is my favorite for it's utility and performance. It's lightweight, easy to shoot well and reliable, and, it's priced right. You can put it on , wear it in all conditions, including against the skin on a hot summer day, and not have to worry about it. Hard not to like that.
    Supposedly, here at Gunsite in AZ, Jeff Cooper, himself, finally admitted the Glock was the best stock OUT OF THE BOX combat handgun he'd ever experienced, even though he'd obviously have preferred a well tuned (i.e. not box stock) 1911. That was told to my group by one of the older 1911 carrying instructors who was around when Jeff was still alive. This was back around '04 or so... Made me feel good doing the class with a G19.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Funny you should mention Jeff. It had to be around the 2002 era, that I got to visit with Jeff and his wife in their home. As we chatted, I asked Jeff what he thought of the Glocks, he said, "A throw-away gun for throw-away cops." I pulled my cover garment over my G19 and went on to another subject.

What I heard was that Jeff finally acknowledged the Glock as viable weapon, but Jeff was pretty much a .45 ACP 1911 platform guy.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

While I have always been a fanboy of the old greats, and had an occasion to chat with a few, I have always been proud of the fact that I think with my own mind.

Jeff had an image to maintain, and the 1911 was part of it. I can't help but think deep down he really liked or at least appreciated the Glock. None the less, it would have been one of the very few things that I would have taken exception with him on.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    I got the impression that Jeff 'grew up' with the 1911. He competed with it, and it was his gun. He promoted it. I tend to think that he may have gained some respect for Glock, but I'm not so sure he ever really accepted them as a peer to the 1911. And, it probably isn't, but to me that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Sponsor

Thumbs up

Wow, talk about thread drift…
    But I think it’s been a great thread, Tangle, for the most part anyway. I wouldn’t change a thing.

FWIW: Over 80% of the guns that come through my classes are Glocks. And lately I find over 80% of the guns that come across my work bench are Glocks. Granted, about 98% of them are here for custom work, but the rest are here for repairs (now that’s a first ). And the ones that need repairs are (you guessed it) Gen 4’s.

But I have good news! I think Glock has resolved all the problems with the Gen 4’s. Now it’s simply a matter of upgrading the guns out there with the latest parts. Let's hope so anyway.

We shall see…
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I gotcha. I'm a little sensitive about the MIM stuff, I caught a bunch of flack about MIM when I posted I had bought a Kimber. By the tone of replies, all the MIM parts would disintegrate in no time. Of course that hasn't happened. My SA TRP extractor broke within 50 rounds though and it wasn't MIM.
    Same here... My mim filled Kimber still functions just like day one..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Interesting stuff DR. Not long after I posted this thread, I started seeing seems like all positive posts. Well, I though maybe I had the wrong impression and posted a second thread saying pretty much exactly what you did - "I think Glock has resolved all the problems with the Gen 4’s. Now it’s simply a matter of upgrading the guns out there with the latest parts. Let's hope so anyway." I mean almost verbatim.

It wasn't 4 days until seems like the boards were buzzing once again with problems all over again. Now I don't know what to think!

But my G22 gen 4 and my G17 gen 4 have been flawless in every way. We'll see how they hold up.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Same here... My mim filled Kimber still functions just like day one..
    Same here. I haven't had the first problem with my Kimbers.

Update:
    I took my G17 Gen4 out for the second time today. I cleaned her up after the 1st and less than stellar first time. I shot another 200 rounds of mixed ammo.
    all Wally world, Rem UMC 115gr jhp(50 rnds), Federal Champion 115 fmj (100 rnds) and Winchester WB 115gr fmj (50 rnds).. I had no failures this time.
    I did have about 6 instances where the cases ejected to the top of my head. this was the federal ammo. The Winchester seemed to shoot the best today but it was noticeably dirty-errrr.

so one failure out of 435 round.. did i mention that my gen4 has the updated RSA but has the older ejector. I won't trust the gun until i have 500+ failure free rounds through it..but i am happier now and feel positive about our future together. thinking of trying some of the Winchester 124gr NATO. that stuff is puttin out 124gr bullets at the same or better velocity than standard 115grainers...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itatorro View Post
    Update:
    I took my G17 Gen4 out for the second time today. I cleaned her up after the 1st and less than stellar first time. I shot another 200 rounds of mixed ammo.
    all Wally world, Rem UMC 115gr jhp(50 rnds), Federal Champion 115 fmj (100 rnds) and Winchester WB 115gr fmj (50 rnds).. I had no failures this time.
    I did have about 6 instances where the cases ejected to the top of my head. this was the federal ammo. The Winchester seemed to shoot the best today but it was noticeably dirty-errrr.

so one failure out of 435 round.. did i mention that my gen4 has the updated RSA but has the older ejector. I won't trust the gun until i have 500+ failure free rounds through it..but i am happier now and feel positive about our future together. thinking of trying some of the Winchester 124gr NATO. that stuff is puttin out 124gr bullets at the same or better velocity than standard 115grainers...
    Brass to the head or face is no joke. I would make Glock update the ejector and extractor. Watch it and if it keeps doing it, call them they will fix it.
    Tangle likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I got the impression that Jeff 'grew up' with the 1911. He competed with it, and it was his gun. He promoted it. I tend to think that he may have gained some respect for Glock, but I'm not so sure he ever really accepted them as a peer to the 1911. And, it probably isn't, but to me that's a good thing, not a bad thing.
    I know Jeff was a 1911 guy. Everyone who knows anything about the man knows that. It's what he grew up with and used his entire life before any plastic wondernines ever hit the shelves and really took off in the late '80s. I don't think Jeff thought of Glock as a "peer". He just finally recognized and said that it was, as I said before, the best STOCK out of the box combat handgun. Not that it was the best overall handgun. I take him saying that to mean a brand new Glock would do its job better ("combat accuracy" with supreme reliability and durability) than anything else without a break-in period, mods, tweaking, fluff and buff, etc.

Senior Moderator
    "...the best STOCK out of the box combat handgun..." just doesn't sound like something Jeff would say. Can you remember where you read that?

"...the best STOCK out of the box combat handgun..." just doesn't sound like something Jeff would say. Can you remember where you read that?
    I never said I read it. I said I heard it from an instructor during a class as Gunsite (Jeff's school) when Jeff was still around. It was "the best stock out-of-the-box combat handgun" Mr. Cooper had ever seen. I don't think an instructor would have said that if he wanted to stay employed at Gunsite because he said it in the presence of many other students and several other instructors. No one ever refuted him saying that...

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Links