Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

This is a discussion on Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glocks are perfect! This is all heresy! But in all seriousness the Glock perfection myth has always been just that, a myth....

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

Glocks are perfect! This is all heresy!

But in all seriousness the Glock perfection myth has always been just that, a myth.
    21bubba likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

I think that Glock should just have left it alone, and did what they were doing best. Let copy cats make cushy grips and stupid cartoonish guns for the minions. I never had an issue with the gen 2 or gen 3.
    gen3 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

All this negative talk towards the G4s has me leaning towards an M&P 9 mm for my next purchase.

Where is the best place to find a new G3 19? LGS, Gun trader, or gun show?

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Glocks are perfect! This is all heresy!

But in all seriousness the Glock perfection myth has always been just that, a myth.
    True, anyone who's been around Glocks knows that they've had their share of issues just like every other manufacturer.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I just jumped into this conversation late, but caught a little bit about late production Gen 3's having issues too. I have a Gen3 19 that I grabbed a 6 months or so ago and while it hasn't had any issues it does occasionally knock me in the head with casings, will an old model extractor solve that problem?
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't know... I'm seeing a lot of the aging Glock fleet getting replaced with the M&P among the big number LE purchases.
    True, and M&Ps are good guns, but some of that may be to gain the adjustable grips for larger and smaller hands, and reversible mag releases for leftys, or for rightys like myself that like the mag release on the right.

IF, and that's a big if, Glock gets the gen 4s to the reliability level they've enjoyed with the gen 3s, M&Ps will no longer have something Glock doesn't. Plus, as they've done in the past, Glock will likely offer the gen 4s at give away prices to LE.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    ....But in all seriousness the Glock perfection myth has always been just that, a myth.
    Be that as it may, this really isn't about Glock perfection. It's about newer Glocks not performing as reliably as the older ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Ok, I'm with you now - very cool - please keep me updated on this.
    Will do and I agree with you 110% on the gen 4's. I do not have the confidence in them to purchase one.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    ...I have a Gen3 19 that I grabbed a 6 months or so ago and while it hasn't had any issues it does occasionally knock me in the head with casings, will an old model extractor solve that problem?
    Well, that is certainly one of the issues. I can't answer if the old model extractor will solve the problem. Some have had success with older extractors, some have not.

And, some of this may be merged issues. I.e. some guns have different problems and require different fixes. One might need an old style extractor; another might need an old style extractor and an ejector; another might have the wrong RSA. People may be trying one fix when a number of things need to be addressed.

This is sure gonna make watching my g22 gen 4 interesting!

Any of you folks worried about this, then go buy one of these and be done with it. 15-20 bucks for peace of mind.

Lone Wolf Distributors - Products - Extractors

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    All this negative talk towards the G4s has me leaning towards an M&P 9 mm for my next purchase.

I see them at just abou every shop I walk into. They are still common.

azchevy,

Is there an expected release date for this review?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I am intentionally abusing mine as part of a long term writeup. With excellent results.
    That would be extremely original in 1985! Let me know your results from the Pepsi challenge too!
    Herknav likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post

Actually, there is about as much trouble with the late model G19 gen 3s as the gen 4s, perhaps more at this point. I'm not sure there still is a problem with the gen 4s. Glocks in gen 4 include, G26, G27, G19, G17, G34, G22, G21, don't know about the G23.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    azchevy,

Is there an expected release date for this review?
    No, I am just shooting it, forgetting about it, shooting it. Documenting everything and once it fails I will finish it. Not like the guy who threw his G21 out of an aircraft or anything, I just originally cleaned and lubed it with wheel bearing grease and I want to see how long it will go in desert conditions before it fails. i am just doing it because I felt like it, no real rhyme or reason to it. Other classes and training have taken precedence and I haven't shot it as much as I have wanted to as I use my G29 as my primary in carbine classes. It sat in the safe for over six months. I took it camping this weekend and it performed flawlessly. It is amazing what this thing is going through and still firing. Eventually I will get to it. My good friend shoots IDPA down in PHX and he hasn't cleaned his in over 15K, just lubed as sort of his own test. the G17 is a panzer tank.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links