Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

This is a discussion on Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've made it no secret that I don't like glocks, but I do respect them. The problem seems to me that glock and other major ...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I've made it no secret that I don't like glocks, but I do respect them. The problem seems to me that glock and other major weapon manufacturers have adopted the mindset of automobile makers. Build new models and let John Q. Public be the beta tester.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    All this negative talk towards the G4s has me leaning towards an M&P 9 mm for my next purchase.

Where is the best place to find a new G3 19? LGS, Gun trader, or gun show?
    I am a manufacturing engineer (BS degrees in Industrial Engineering & Accounting) and I specialize in new product development working side by side with the R&D engineers. They design it, I "suggest" design modifications to maintain efficiency, quality and to keep product cost where it should be in addition to developing and modifying manufacturing processes. I know what goes on when manufacturing companies develop and bring new products to market.

I NEVER buy new anything. Manufactures simply can't afford to build and test enough product to get all the bugs out and leave that up to the first customers who purchase. Some companies do it better than others, but there will always be some unforseen issues to deal with.

I finally just bought a couple M&Ps, which work great, but look at how much updating S&W did to them to get these pistols right. Rust/Finish issues, magazines falling out, broken firing pins that where redesigned, extractor update, sear spring update to solve dead triggers, sight dots falling out etc........

IMHO, the 9mm gen4s aren't there yet and from what I am experiencing and hearing from others, the new gen3 9mm are having issues also due to the extractor redesign with a MIM part. Sure, most of the pistols will work, but the quality is not there yet compared to established designs.

I say go for the M&P now, wait a little longer for the gen4 glock. That is what I am doing.
    DRM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I'm not sure Glock had much choice SIXTO. Just about every polymer gun on the market has adjustable grips and Glock grips were pretty big. M&P is taking a bite of Glock's LE market and I think Glock had to respond with a more competitive design.

I have little experience right now with the gen 4, but I really like it. But it's not just the gen 4 that's having problems, the newer G19 gen 3s are too. So, I'm not so sure it's so much a generation problem as it is improperly designed or manufactured issues that cross generation lines.
    I agree, and as much as I wanted a Gen 4 G-19, I opted to go with the M&P 9 FS. I have not regretted getting the M&P, but I am somewhat disappointed that Glock lost out. I've had a Gen 3 G-23 for over 12 years now and it's been flawless. I was really hoping to stay with Glock, but in the end I just didn't want to take the chance.

I know it was a slim chance at best at getting one of the troublesome Glocks... But if I did end up with one, I feel it would have been nothing but a headache for me to deal with.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I agree, and as much as I wanted a Gen 4 G-19, I opted to go with the M&P 9 FS. I have not regretted getting the M&P, but I am somewhat disappointed that Glock lost out. I've had a Gen 3 G-23 for over 12 years now and it's been flawless. I was really hoping to stay with Glock, but in the end I just didn't want to take the chance.

I know it was a slim chance at best at getting one of the troublesome Glocks... But if I did end up with one, I feel it would have been nothing but a headache for me to deal with.
    Bark'n,

You and I are similar except that I did a chance on problem laden Gen 4. I promptly got another M&P after I get the Glock fixed. Now I got three of them and I want the new .22!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Interesting thread to say the least. All of my Glocks are Gen 2, so i don't really have anything substantive to add other than it is apparent the Gen 3's and 4's have some issues. It does surprise me Glock has an MIM part in a critical place.

Having said that, has anyone explored the correlation between the release of the gen 3's and 4's and Gaston's latest?

He looks like he just swallowed a canary or two......maybe a MIM part? Are those MIM's?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Interesting thread to say the least. All of my Glocks are Gen 2, so i don't really have anything substantive to add other than it is apparent the Gen 3's and 4's have some issues. It does surprise me Glock has an MIM part in a critical place.

Having said that, has anyone explored the correlation between the release of the gen 3's and 4's and Gaston's latest?

He looks like he just swallowed a canary or two......maybe a MIM part? Are those MIM's?
    Ah, to have millions........

Senior Moderator
    I am optimistic that Glock will get the gen 4 and gen 3 (late models) issues resolved.

And I know some will hate to hear this, and it's just logical deduction, but I believe the gen 3s will be phased out. Just look at Glock's history: do they still manufacturer the gen 1s? Nope, the gen 2s replaced them. Do they still manufacture the gen 2s? Nope, the gen 3s replaced them. Do they still manufacturer the gen 3s.........

The fact is, when all the bugs have been worked out, the gen 4 is everything the gen 3 is and more. I bet if we could go back to the gen 2/gen 3 era, we'd hear all the bemoaning over the gen 3. I remember these days. You never heard so much about finger grips, rails, "my gen 2 works just fine thank you, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.", and other cliches parroted about.

I admit I was very resistant to the gen 4; sometimes we just don't like changes, especially when a change means a temporary dip in quality and reliability.

I prefer the mag release on the right, and all my SD guns are set up that way - Sigs, M&Ps, PX4, Hk P30L (ambi), all except my Glocks and 1911s. Well there's no hope for the 1911, but the gen 4 gives me that option for the Glock. I think it was this feature alone that got me started rethinking the gen 4. Then I began to realize, if this model works, and that's a work in progress right now, it's everything a gen 3 is, but has a smaller grip, reversible mag release, better grip surface, improved trigger bar spring attachment, and an adjustable grip.

OTOH, what is not to like - assuming the bugs are worked out - and they will be?
    Rock and Glock and Bark'n like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Wow! This is a good thread! Just checked the test date on my Gen 3 17, which was bought in Dec. 2010: October '09. Whew!
    "I can show you how to make a bomb out of a roll of toilet paper and a stick of dynamite." Dale Gribble

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Any of you folks worried about this, then go buy one of these and be done with it. 15-20 bucks for peace of mind.

Lone Wolf Distributors - Products - Extractors
    Thanks for the link. I noticed that the 9mm extractors are sold out. Coincidence?

Senior Moderator
    You can buy an aftermarket extractor if you want to, but Glock will fix your extractor problem free. One method they're using is to ship the extractor to the nearest Glock armory and he installs it in your gun. Or, they may have you send your gun in. That would be the best approach because any updates would likely be added as well.

Guys, the reality of this is there are some temporary issues that will be fixed. Glock is not going to leave the gen 4s (or gen 3s) in some problematic state. One day soon, all this will be behind us and gen 4s (and gen 3s) will be good to go. This is not something that will last forever or is uncorrectable.

Don't bash me Glock guys! Glock is an awesome company and is a great firearm (never owned one but lots of experience in the military with them). But Glock has this mystique about it that other handguns do not. It does not take away from the reliability of the Glock, but what it does is make newbies feel it is the only think to buy. I myself will have a Sig over Glock anyday!
    Disclaimer:I have shot a fair amount of Glock, Sig, Walther, and Beretta. I chose the Sig for why most of us do: I shoot it better and fits my frame better.

Senior Moderator
    Well, not a bash, but if we look at IDPA, you won't find many winners shooting Sigs. Shoot better is a little ambiguous, but from what I've seen, most of the guys that claim to shoot Sigs better than Glocks really mean they shoot Sigs in the SA mode better than they shoot Glocks. They rarely deal with that DA trigger.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Was that a bashing or love tap LOL

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Well, not a bash, but if we look at IDPA, you won't find many winners shooting Sigs. Shoot better is a little ambiguous, but from what I've seen, most of the guys that claim to shoot Sigs better than Glocks really mean they shoot Sigs in the SA mode better than they shoot Glocks. They rarely deal with that DA trigger.
    this is true..
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hey, I just like my 228. But anyway the thread is on reliability of Glocks, not how you guys are brainwashed on thinking it is the best

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links