Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP - Page 5

Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

This is a discussion on Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Was that a bashing or love tap LOL LOL! Not a bash, just an observation. And, I didn't mean to ...

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Was that a bashing or love tap LOL
    LOL! Not a bash, just an observation. And, I didn't mean to suggest you fell into the group I described as a 'SA only club'.

I like Sigs; I shoot them well. I particularly like my P226R Elite Enhanced SRT. It was on my bedstand last night with a Viridian C5L laser/light attached and a Mecgar 20 round mag. But, when I shoot this gun, and I've shot it a lot, I can't resist shooting it in the SA mode - it's just so natural - insert the mag, rack or drop the slide and shoot - all SA.

But in a SD mode, if we have to shoot from a draw, that first shot is gonna be the least, if ever, practiced DA mode.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I love how you guys think the glock has always been perfect *UNTIL* they came out with Gen4...... Never mind the fact that previous guns have broken frame rails, malfunctioned due to frame flex with a light attached to the rail, a number of unsupported casing Ka-booms, bad finish wear on pre-gen 3 models, oh and i once saw a glock barrel that blew the chamber in half!!!

Seriously all guns have problems at different stages, they worked them out. I have two gen 4's that are over a year old and have been fine. Just because the brass doesn't land in a neat little pile, doesn't mean the gun is broken or "GLOCK = FAIL!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    LOL! Not a bash, just an observation. And, I didn't mean to suggest you fell into the group I described as a 'SA only club'.

I like Sigs; I shoot them well. I particularly like my P226R Elite Enhanced SRT. It was on my bedstand last night with a Viridian C5L laser/light attached and a Mecgar 20 round mag. But, when I shoot this gun, and I've shot it a lot, I can't resist shooting it in the SA mode - it's just so natural - insert the mag, rack or drop the slide and shoot - all SA.

But in a SD mode, if we have to shoot from a draw, that first shot is gonna be the least, if ever, practiced DA mode.
    To be fair, I shoot the Glock almost as well as the Sig. When I deployed for CC I had a choice of Beretta, Glock, Sig. I hated the Beretta. Just to big for my hands...not a bad gun, bad for me. The Sig just fit me perfect and I could shoot it and was rugged. Glock just never felt right.

Senior Moderator
    Hey, I just like my 228. But anyway the thread is on reliability of Glocks, not how you guys are brainwashed on thinking it is the best
    In my OP, I didn't say anything about Glocks being the best. My claim is that the Glock quality is not there, right now anyway, like it has been in the past.

So don't think this thread is about Glock is the best - that'd be like claiming Sig is the best.

Senior Moderator
    To be fair, I shoot the Glock almost as well as the Sig. When I deployed for CC I had a choice of Beretta, Glock, Sig. I hated the Beretta. Just to big for my hands...not a bad gun, bad for me. The Sig just fit me perfect and I could shoot it and was rugged. Glock just never felt right.
    I hear ya. Although the 92FS is one of my favorite guns, it is BIG.

I know exactly what you mean about the way a Sig feels in the hand - I get that same impression with my Hk P30L. Then when I grip a Glock...well, it's not as ergonomic. But that really has never been a problem for me. I hear the 'block', '2x4' claims, but a Glock just doesn't strike me that way.

I guess if I gave the Sig and Hk a 10 for 'feel', I'd rank Glock about an 8.

In my OP, I didn't say anything about Glocks being the best or ever were. My claim is that the Glock quality is not there, right now anyway, like it has been in the past.

As a matter of fact, I had to fix a problem in my Sig P226R EE SRT that Sig wouldn't fix. I discovered on the Sig Forum that this is a known problem with the SRT trigger. Here's the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijN9i7JcB0

So don't think this thread is about Glock is the best - that'd be like claiming Sig is the best.
    I was joking. Sig has had a few issues. But somebody posted earlier not to buy the newest and greatest..wait till the bugs are worked out. Off topic, Microsoft products are in that category LOL

Senior Moderator
    I was joking. Sig has had a few issues. But somebody posted earlier not to buy the newest and greatest..wait till the bugs are worked out. Off topic, Microsoft products are in that category LOL
    I realized that late - notice I changed the post you quoted to be more in the same spirit of humor that your post was.

I am sure Glock will get this worked out, until then maybe purchasing the new model might not be the best thing to do if you expect a gun to have zero malfunctions ever.
    This in a sense is an oxymoron; you buy a new to get away from problems and not expect them

Nothing Wrong with my M&P to date! In my opinion the M&P is a superior firearm to the Glock. Evidently many major police districts across the country agree since they are moving from Glock to M&P. Here in Milwaukee they just switched in the last year or so due in large part to Glock problems.

Senior Moderator
    Nothing wrong with my G22 Gen4 to date.

The Glock was superior to the M&P when the M&P was going through its startup problems and few if any major police districts chose it over Glock.

Now the 'shoes' are reversed. The M&P has been debugged and the Glock gen 4 is the new kid on the block and is having problems right now so it stands to reason it would not be chosen during this phase.

But Glock either has or will iron out their problems with the gen 4 just like S&W did with the M&P.

Already the 400 strong force of the Osceola County, Florida LE is issuing G22 gen 4s. So is the MO State Highway Patrol.

But why is this becoming a Glock vs them thread when it was clearly intended to be a Glock vs Glock thread?

But why is this becoming a Glock vs them thread when it was clearly intended to be a Glock vs Glock thread?
    Because misery loves company

Senior Moderator
    The Glock vs them remark may have been a bit of an over reaction. I think all I was meaning was that the thread is about where Glock quality is with respect to Glock rather than some other brand. Sorry if it came across too strong.

The Glock vs them remark may have been a bit of an over reaction. I think all I was meaning was that the thread is about where Glock quality is with respect to Glock rather than some other brand. Sorry if it came across too strong.
    It is so true though; there is nothing worse than being the only one with a problem. Some big co. don’t want to admit they have a problem and kill sales (like Toyota) and relay on their reputation to carry them through the bad times. Gen 4 has been out for some time and the complaints are loud and clear but all they want to do is give out band aids instead of replacing the part that is the cause of the problem in the first place

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    ...Gen 4 has been out for some time and the complaints are loud and clear but all they want to do is give out band aids instead of replacing the part that is the cause of the problem in the first place
    I'm not sure it's that simple. I know the internet buzz suggests that. But we are seeing Glock pay for shipping both ways to repair guns only to discover the problem isn't fixed. What this suggests is that either Glock doesn't realize the extractor is the problem, or there is a lot more to it than a simple extractor replacement.

Some guns have been fixed with a part replacement, some were not. Some have sent their Glocks to Glock multiple times - at Glock's expense. If flies in the face of logic to claim that Glock would rather take a chance on a band-aid fix and pay for shipping the gun both ways multiple times rather than simply replace the extractor and be done with it.

E.g. When a customer calls Glock, they check his gun's serial number to see what parts were installed in the gun. If the gun has other than the latest RSAs model in it, they send the customer the latest RSA. That at least takes care of an update. If that doesn't fix the issue, Glock will pay for the shipping and have the customer send the gun in.

Although it could be that Glock is trying to do band aid fixes, that makes no business sense at all. How's that been working out for them? It just delays the inevitable, costs Glock more money in the long run, and probably loses sales, customer confidence and satisfaction. The other possibility comes from us as a customer base not understanding Glock's approach to fixing the problems. Of course they're trying to save money; but they aren't trying to cost themselves money by sending random parts to a customer and hoping that will satisfy them.

If it were as simple as replacing one part, I seriously doubt Glock would send a customer a RSA when the problem is the extractor. That just makes no sense at all.

looking at it from a stand point of glock I would be asking myself if the customer is limp wristing the gun or using subpar ammo. me ,I have never had a problem with mine. no I am not one of those people that shoot 600 rounds in a day (my pockets are not that deep) but in the last couple of years ran some though it with no problems and only use factory mags

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links