Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

This is a discussion on Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by azchevy It seems that gloick has adopted the Kimber business model.... a sad reality in the mass produced firearms world. I think ...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Glock once stood for uber eliability; I don't think it does presently - UPDATE in OP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    It seems that gloick has adopted the Kimber business model.... a sad reality in the mass produced firearms world.
    I think it was more of a "Let's Stop The Bleeding" campaign. I am sure they have spent millions on parts and shipping for the recalled recoil springs and should be recalled ejectors and extractors.

This is a bit of a new arena for Glock, hell they went 25 years with only needing one person in the customer service department! LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

First post here!

I've had a Gen 4 G23 for a couple months now (my second gun purchase!), and I've got about 700 rounds through it with zero malfunctions. As others mentioned, it does occasionally eject back at me, but that's not the end of the world. Maybe they're not perfect, but based on my experience, I'd recommend them.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I'm believe the problem is only with the 9mm. I'm not afraid to buy another haven't had any problem with my 23
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

a gun buddy of mine was asking me about a number of different guns he was considering for his first handgun, as usual I stear him away from the 92FS he was considering simply because we're in the navy and familiar with the m9, I recommended he shoot a number of different guns and 2 weeks later he was convinced by the internet that the glock 17 was the most perfect gun ever made so he went out and bought a brand new gen 4 17. I went with him the first time he shot it and out of 200 rounds of federal champions between 4 shooters we had a minimum of 1 fail to feed per magazine. only then did my buddy ask the internet "what's wrong with my glock?" that he found out that the GEN 4 Glocks are far from perfect.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

I'll get beat up for this but have always felt Glock was over rated over hyped and no real value for cash spent. Nothing has changed that.
    I'll stick with my Rugers, Para and S&W any day

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    a gun buddy of mine was asking me about a number of different guns he was considering for his first handgun, as usual I stear him away from the 92FS he was considering simply because we're in the navy and familiar with the m9, I recommended he shoot a number of different guns and 2 weeks later he was convinced by the internet that the glock 17 was the most perfect gun ever made so he went out and bought a brand new gen 4 17. I went with him the first time he shot it and out of 200 rounds of federal champions between 4 shooters we had a minimum of 1 fail to feed per magazine. only then did my buddy ask the internet "what's wrong with my glock?" that he found out that the GEN 4 Glocks are far from perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I'll get beat up for this but have always felt Glock was over rated over hyped and no real value for cash spent. Nothing has changed that.
    I'll stick with my Rugers, Para and S&W any day
    I don't want to 'hype' Glocks. But Glock's record speaks for itself. I know of no other gun that has been left in the ocean for 3 months, and is essentially unmarked. I have Sigs, S&Ws, Berettas, XDs, 1911s, H&ks and they are all top quality guns. But right now I carry a Glock 17 gen 4.

There have been problems with new intros. I mean just look at the stickys and see if your favorite Ruger, S&W, etc., etc. is on the list. Glock has had intro problems with the gen 4s; but it appears that they have resolved these problems and are correcting models that got out before all the fixes were in. That's what all manufacturers do, or we'd hope they'd support their product.

It is a mistake to judge a gun by a resolved problem. If that's the way it works then we'd have to say the M&P is a failure, because it had more than it's share of intro problems. But just like Glock is currently cleaning up their issues, S&W did too.

I'm seeing more and more flawless experiences and fewer problems with gen 4s. Several LE agencies have purchased new Glocks. Some gen 3s, but at least two I'm aware of have gone with gen 4s because they like the features better.
    AZ Hawk likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I've got 1800 rounds thru my G19 G3, bought new 6 months ago, not one problem, carry it everyday.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    My gen 3 g17 has not been cleaned or lubed for 5000 rounds and about 2 years. Took her out yesterday in the desert and put 600 fail free rounds through it. Don't plan on cleaning or lubing it any time soon. I don't need to buy new and shiny. I have reliable.
    Where is the "dislike" button?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Where is the "dislike" button?
    In a follow up post, he clarified that he's doing this simply for personal interest.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

So, in regard to the video on page one, if I instruct Glock to shoot 500+ rounds through my pistol because it malfunctions at 500 rounds, they're going to actually do that? Yeah, riiiiiiiight...suuuure they will...

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Why did the replacement gen 4 start having problems after 1700 rounds? I think that's the thing that really bothers me. Apparently Glock could not get the gen 3 working and so they replaced it with a gen 4 and it only delayed the issue. What's happened to the Glocks we used to trust and depend on that would fire hundreds of thousands of rounds? What's happening to Glock?
    It's interesting that you mention this since my experience was the exact opposite.

As I posted in another of your threads, my Gen 3 Glock 19 would from time to time eject cases into my face from 0 to ~1500 rounds. However, I haven't had a single case ejected into my face (or any other issue for that matter) from ~1500 to ~8000.

The only modification I made was replacing the standard plastic guide rod and spring with a Lone Wolf stainless steel guide rod and standard weight spring, but I did this at ~5000 rounds.

Apparently this gun just needed a long break in period!

(Note: I don't have any Gen 4 Glocks, so I can't comment on those from personal experience).
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

For what it's worth, I've got the "latest and greatest" Gen 4 Glock 19.

30274 ejector, 043 spring, and "dot" connector.

500 rounds trouble free so far with both el cheapo and hydra-shocks.

I've been keeping a log and plan on posting a range report soon, I think maybe after I get to 2k rounds or so.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Sorry Glockers... If you want to fix the "Extractor/Recoil Spring..ect ect" problem.... Get an M&P and be done with it. IMO the M&P is easily as good as any glock out there. Not hating on Glock either, heck I have three of their pistols, but again IMO, none of um are what I would consider better in anyway over my one and only M&P and like wise to be honest. Both are excellent performers, but if Glock is gonna go changing what has been working for years. They can do it on their coin and not mine.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    JUst bought Glock 19, No problems. If you look hard enough you will find something wrong with all Manufactured firearms. It is man made
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Sorry Glockers... If you want to fix the "Extractor/Recoil Spring..ect ect" problem.... Get an M&P and be done with it. IMO the M&P is easily as good as any glock out there. Not hating on Glock either, heck I have three of their pistols, but again IMO, none of um are what I would consider better in anyway over my one and only M&P and like wise to be honest. Both are excellent performers, but if Glock is gonna go changing what has been working for years. They can do it on their coin and not mine.
    No M&P in existence matches the unique blend of size, weight, balance and capacity of a G19. The only thing that I would trade my G19 for is an M&P the exact size of the M&P 45 compact, in 9mm and lighter in weight. Until then, my Gen 3 G19 gets the nod.
    AZ Hawk, preachertim and DRM like this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links