Slim 9mms

This is a discussion on Slim 9mms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kahr, no brainer. Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Slim 9mms

Kahr, no brainer.

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

2. Remove Ads

The OP stated he's looking for a slim 9mm, and has considered an LC9, a Taurus Slim and the Beretta Nano. Allow me to recommend the Kahr CW9 (or its higher-priced brother, the P9), one of my most frequently carried guns.

The CW9 is 7+1 capacity, the Nano is 6+1
    The CW9 is no wider than any of the guns mentioned and is slimmer than the PPS
    The CW9 is longer than the Nano by 0.3 inches; I think both are too large for pocket carry
    The CW9 (16 oz dry) is lighter than all other guns mentioned
    The CW9 lists for $2 more than the Taurus and $114 less than the PPS

I've handled an LC9 and a Taurus Slim and compared to the CW9, their triggers feel twice as long with uneven pulls, compared to the almost buttery-smooth trigger on my CW9. I also appreciate the full-length grip of the CW9 since it allows a full 3-finger grip without resorting to mag extensions and the like.

Just another opinion added to the mix.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I think It'd be a tough pick between the Nano, the Walther PPS & the Kahr.

I think it would just be a matter of your personal preference to the ergonomics of each of them.

As far as quality and reliability, each are probably on par with each other.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I also have an XD and was looking for a slim better, easier to conceal gun. Not only for the warm season but because my XD is a large 9mm IMO. I looked around and a couple of months ago I purchased a Ruger LC9. I did have an issue with the gun after I first got the gun but since that time everything is working well. My LC9 is my EDC now. The trigger pull is long before it breaks and there are some guns with less pull but for me it was a matter of getting use too. I have been to the range a number of times with gun and know what to expect. Know going in this is a SD gun not a target practice from 25 yard gun. I do like the size weight and concealablity of the gun. I would recommend this gun.
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

Springfield Armory is coming out with a single stack subcompact the XDs in 45ACP coming in march, and 9mm/ 40S&W in the beggining of summer 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinixd View Post
    I also have an XD and was looking for a slim better, easier to conceal gun. Not only for the warm season but because my XD is a large 9mm IMO. I looked around and a couple of months ago I purchased a Ruger LC9. I did have an issue with the gun after I first got the gun but since that time everything is working well. My LC9 is my EDC now. The trigger pull is long before it breaks and there are some guns with less pull but for me it was a matter of getting use too. I have been to the range a number of times with gun and know what to expect. Know going in this is a SD gun not a target practice from 25 yard gun. I do like the size weight and concealablity of the gun. I would recommend this gun.

I have the LC9 as my EDC. I agree the trigger pull is not ideal but like any other gun, its what you get used to. I like the looks of it and the Ruger name. It conceals well for me with no printing.
    Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

The LC9 is a good buy at around $340. Not a range gun, but a very concealable and quality piece.

VIP Member
    Wife has a CW9. While not as small as the CM9, it is still a slim, easily concealed 9mm.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I was torn between LC9 and CM9 for a long time. I don't like the LCI and Mag disconnect on the LC9 so for the extra $100. I am going with the CM9. Just need to wait a month or two to save the $100. The trigger on the CM9 is worth the money IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

I vote Walther PPS, after 1300 rds through mine I was so impressed I bought a PPQ to go with it. Slim, light and most importantly shoots like a larger pistol. The 6, 7, and 8 round mags give you options and change the pistols concealability and handling.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I'll give another +1 for the walther pps. It's the first ccw pistol I purchased, and it's been my daily carry for three years sense. I have not yet considered replacing it with another pistol.

I have the LC9 and like it. The trigger pull is long, but smooth on mine.
    I like the shorter grip over the KAHR CW9.

The PPS feels even better, to me. The grip locks tightly into the web of my hand, and the trigger is more like a glock.

The Bersa BP9cc looks really enticing as well. The size of a PPS, witha really short reset trigger, and sells for around $369.

I dont mean (any disrespect to anyone) to start anything, but I just have never understood the idea of "spending as little as possible" ( a budget gun) on a concealed carry gun (something that is supposed to protect your life or the life of a loved one), or carrying something that is "not a range gun" (just because you find a guy on the corner with broken english who says he can do brain surgery on your mother for 1/10th the cost, do you make the appointment...I am looking for the best brain surgeon out there, not budget)...why do people feel they do not need to practice and train with the weapon they expect to save lives...I have to say whatever you carry had better the ability to be "a range gun"...if you cant shoot it (practice) for a minimum of 100-200 rounds without hand fatigue or pain, you really should find something else...just my thought.
    DRM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    I dont mean (any disrespect to anyone) to start anything, but I just have never understood the idea of "spending as little as possible" ( a budget gun) on a concealed carry gun (something that is supposed to protect your life or the life of a loved one), or carrying something that is "not a range gun" (just because you find a guy on the corner with broken english who says he can do brain surgery on your mother for 1/10th the cost, do you make the appointment...I am looking for the best brain surgeon out there, not budget)...why do people feel they do not need to practice and train with the weapon they expect to save lives...I have to say whatever you carry had better the ability to be "a range gun"...if you cant shoot it (practice) for a minimum of 100-200 rounds without hand fatigue or pain, you really should find something else...just my thought.
    While I agree with you about the brain surgeon, I don't agree that just because it's not a "range gun" doesn't mean that it isn't good for concealed carry. A DOA semi-auto with a long trigger pull may not be fun to shoot over 100 rounds per range visit but you can develop good accuracy to hit a target center mass in a SD scenario.

Thanks for all the replys. Im eagerly awaiting the release of the xd slim 9mm to see what the price will be. Price is a factor but Im a person that feels you get what you pay for. In that regards I try to buy the best I can. Therefore I do some research before I do my actual buying. And most of you have these pistols already. So I read magazines and surf the net and ask questions and narrow my choices down. This wont be a target gun but I will practice with it as I do my other weapons to stay proficient. Someting that wil be more easy to conceal. Thanks again all and stay safe.
    Sixgun

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links