Slim 9mms

This is a discussion on Slim 9mms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a PF9, and of was the worst handgun I've owned. I sold of for scrap, and now have an LC9. I will need ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Slim 9mms

I had a PF9, and of was the worst handgun I've owned. I sold of for scrap, and now have an LC9. I will need a couple Junered more rounds downrange to be sure, but it looks promising. I didn't care for the trigger on the 709. I mostly enjoy revolvers, so the hammer fired DAO felt better to me.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Im thinkin of a slim 9mm for the summer Thats easier to conceal than my xd. Cost will be a factor because im also buying a xdm 3.8 to shoot at our tactical club and carry when its a little cooler weather. Im looking at the ruger lc9. taurus slim. Beretta nano. And maybe just maybe a kel tec pf9. Im waiting for springfield to bring out a single stack 9mm but that might be out of reach with me buying two guns each with a different mission in mind. Out of the ones mentioned any pros or cons. And remember cost is a factor. Thanks for the time.
    Save for awhile and purchase a Colt Talo New Agent in 9mm.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    You should look at the Glock 26. The difference to some of the ones named so far is not that much, and it has higher capacity. Put them side by side, you'll be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Im thinkin of a slim 9mm for the summer Thats easier to conceal than my xd. Cost will be a factor because im also buying a xdm 3.8 to shoot at our tactical club and carry when its a little cooler weather. Im looking at the ruger lc9. taurus slim. Beretta nano. And maybe just maybe a kel tec pf9. Im waiting for springfield to bring out a single stack 9mm but that might be out of reach with me buying two guns each with a different mission in mind. Out of the ones mentioned any pros or cons. And remember cost is a factor. Thanks for the time.
    bro I don't think you can go wrong w/a keltec or a taurus....just make sure ya practice with 'em and really break them in; only reason I say that is b/c I've heard a lot of pros and cons about overall reliability for both manufactures. I have a taurus revolver and it's been great...

man i have an LC9 and I really dig it. I paid $329 out the door, but then I got a spare mag that was like $30 (if I remember correctly). fits my hand perfectly, not the most fun gun in the world to shoot at the range, but ya know it's got a purpose. Overall I really can't complain. it's just too damn convenient not to carry!

you can easily snag a keltec for like $230 - or maybe even less if you catch a good deal! give it the ol' fluff-n-buff and you should be g2g!! My buddy carries a keltec and loves it!

I have a PT709 with 2000 trouble free rounds through it. I love mine, easy to carry, fun to shoot. What's not to like?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Isn't the Browning HP a slim 9mm?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    You should look at the Glock 26. The difference to some of the ones named so far is not that much, and it has higher capacity. Put them side by side, you'll be surprised.
    Glocks are many things, but slim isn't one of them - and the G26 at 1.25" is 30% thicker than the other choices mentioned so far. Note the OP's quest for a slim carry weapon.
    NIS350ZTT likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I agree with some of the guys above about the PPS. I have one and it is a great slim concealment pistol.

Kahr CM9.

If I had to settle on one of those you had mentioned, the Kel Tec PF9 is the one I would go with personally. I've done plenty of research in this area even though I've never been much of a fan of pocket pistols. Options are good. Word to the wise.....many of these tiny and thin pocket rockets are good for a one time defense. Usually this means up close....usually closer than most of us want to get. Even though it may save your tail, not something you can practice with effectively without shooting out the barrel. CQB weapon. Think more about what Close Quarters Battle actually means and maybe you can decide better. What I think of CQB ends up being hand to hand since a firearm can't be controlled in many of these situations. Whenever you think of a pistol serving your purposes, you need to make rules for the intended use IMO. A pistol when grappling with an opponent doesn't have many uses. A pistol is designed to keep actual close quarters battle a bit farther away if you follow me. Last ditch efforts should seldom be thought of. You either win or loose in your situation.

Walther PPS. Even better now that the price has dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by SIG9 View Post
    Walther PPS. Even better now that the price has dropped.
    All the PPS owners...any issues or concerns around the safety mechanism on the interchangeable backstrap? PPS is a great gun, but it worries me about the scenario in a stressful situation if I drop the weapon, the back strap "pops" off and I can't fire the weapon...now I have to fumble trying to get it back on in order to fire.

Is that a real concer with the PPS?

As you can see by my sig, I'm a fan of "easily concealable". Out of the four my Ruger LC9 is the least favorite due to the 9 lb trigger pull. I just can't shoot the thing with any accuracy. The KelTec PF9 is my most recent purchase, least expensive, and 5 lb trigger pull makes, for me well placed groups.

Yet, my preferred carry is ... a draw (pun not intended) between the Glock 26 Gen 4 & Walther PPS. Must admit my PPS (first & mostpurchase out of the four) is a more comfortable conceal. The trigger guard amby mag release takes some getting used to but like the unique feature. Shoots great. Definitely a fine SA & worth the every pretty penny. However, cannot dismiss that I really enjoy my sub-compact G26, very accurate. It seems to have a stronger punch than PPS. Plus, something about the double stack mag; 10rd, 17rd, and LOL 33rd that appeals to me. Just sometimes not as easy to conceal as PPS.

... that's my 2 cents
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Palumbo3284 View Post
    All the PPS owners...any issues or concerns around the safety mechanism on the interchangeable backstrap? PPS is a great gun, but it worries me about the scenario in a stressful situation if I drop the weapon, the back strap "pops" off and I can't fire the weapon...now I have to fumble trying to get it back on in order to fire.

Is that a real concern with the PPS?
    I've never dropped my PPS, but never heard of a backstrap popping off so easily as your example. Actually, removing the backstrap is no easy chore to remove. Besides, I added limbsaver grip that not only absorbs the recoil it wraps over the backstrap.
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Soldiernurse View Post
    Actually, removing the backstrap is no easy chore to remove.
    Agreed, it's not easy to get it off when you want to. I put the large on after my first couple sessions and have left it that way.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links