Slim 9mms - Page 4

Slim 9mms

This is a discussion on Slim 9mms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love my LC9. There are stories of some people having issues with them and with a new design that is to be expected. I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Slim 9mms

I love my LC9. There are stories of some people having issues with them and with a new design that is to be expected. I bought mine relatively early on in production and have yet to have an issue with it. No FTE, FTF etc. I really like it. There are aspects of the trigger that either take some getting used to or you just learn with depending on your familiarity with trigger mechanisms. I trust mine with my life every day. It fits my hand well, is quite comfortable to carry and has handled all reasonable JHP and FMJ rounds I have put through it. Price wise it should be within yours. I was able to purchase mine for 379, before tax, fees etc.

Good luck!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Kel Tecs seem to get a bad rap recently, but I've had mine for 2 years and it has been almost 100% reliable... I have had some FTF/FTE's, but ONLY with one brand of ammo. This ammo ( MFS, made in Hungary ) did the same thing in my Ruger P95 and my wife's Bersa 380. The little bugger KICKS, but I have added a Hogue grip sleeve and Pearce mag extensions, which has really helped. I think that some K/T's are picky about ammo and subject to limp-wristing because they are so light. It is what it is and you can't expect it to act any different, I trust my PF9, but I know that it can jam if I don't keep it clean and lube the slide rails AND hold on to it like I mean it!

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Another option is the Bersa BP9CC

Basically the same size as the CW9. The CW9 is just alittle bit shorter in the slide and a hair shorter in grip length.

Sponsor
    HA,
    I'd like to hear your thoughts on that Bersa BP9CC.
    I wanted to try one before I dropped the $ on my PPS but could nopt find one anywhere.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I'll throw another vote in for the PPS.. I have a Walther PPS and a Kahr PM9. I shoot the PPS better than my PM9, although the PM9 is slightly smaller if you are looking to pocket carry it. My PPS carries very nicely in a Crossbreed holster.. it is my favorite and go to EDC 95% of the time. One other hang up you might have is the "goofy" mag release that is located on the trigger guard. Personally, I prefer it since it is easier to use with my trigger finger than trying to relocate my thumb like on other models. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. In the long run.. I don't think you can go wrong with a PPS or PM9/CM9/CW9. The Bersa BP9CC looks interesting too... although I do not have any personal experience with it.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    HA,
    I'd like to hear your thoughts on that Bersa BP9CC.
    I wanted to try one before I dropped the $ on my PPS but could nopt find one anywhere.
    I bought it yesterday. Price was $343 + tax. The pistol came with 2 mags. Capacity is 8+1, so 1 more round than the CW9. The top round on the magazine is very secure unlike the CW9. The top round on the CW9 is at a very severe angle and is not held that tight in the magazine. Sights are basic 3 dots both in dove tails. According to Bersa, the rear sight dovetail fits a glock sight, and the front sight dovetail fits a sig. If this is true, there should be plenty of choices in after market sights. It has a magazine disconnect and one of those little locks on the side of the slide to lock up the action of the pistol. The lock has a very strong detent, I don't forsee any problems with it. The magazine disconnect is what it is. It also has a chamber indicator on top of the slide similar to the ruger LC9, EXCEPT is is very low key. It only pops up 1/16" and is the same color as the slide. It is noticable only if you actually look. It does not stand out screaming I am loaded like the LC9.

For me, the Bersa feels better in hand than the CW9. I have medium size hands. The Bersa has more grip in the back strap which I like.

The bersa has a short reset trigger somewhat similar to a glock or M&P unlike the long DA pull of the CW9 which only resets once the trigger is completely released. The Bersa trigger does have a trigger safety even thow it looks like it doesn't have one, it is designed into the trigger itself. The trigger pull is as follows: First part of the pull is the trigger safety (if you try to pull the trigger from the top of the trigger it won't go), then you have the take up to sear engagement, then your typical striker fired creep to sear break. The reset is SHORT and very tactile feeling with a loud click. You release some pressure from the trigger and click, the reset is right there. The trigger pull does have a little gritty feeling (not nearly as much as say an M&P) but the trigger pull itself is very light. I don't have a trigger scale, but I would say it is around 4-4.5lbs and I wouldn't be surprised if it settled right at 4lbs after breaking the pistol in. I am sure some are going to say the trigger is actually too light.

Field stripping the pistol is very easy and requires no tools. Make sure unloaded, press trigger, remove mag, line up the witness marks on the back/side of the slide with the frame, pop out the slide stop with your finger and slide moves forward off the frame etc.....

It appears that the entire trigger assembly (trigger/trigger bar/sear etc...) with is housed in a metal chassis, which includes the front and rear slide rails, that sits in the frame. The chassis itself has the serial number and is considered the firearm.

I haven't shot it yet, hopefully this week, but the reports from other owners are very positive. For the money, it is a lot of pistol, but there are still a lot of unknowns performance/reliability wise.

Quote Originally Posted by RobO9mm View Post
    Kel Tecs seem to get a bad rap recently, but I've had mine for 2 years and it has been almost 100% reliable... I have had some FTF/FTE's, but ONLY with one brand of ammo. This ammo ( MFS, made in Hungary ) did the same thing in my Ruger P95 and my wife's Bersa 380. The little bugger KICKS, but I have added a Hogue grip sleeve and Pearce mag extensions, which has really helped. I think that some K/T's are picky about ammo and subject to limp-wristing because they are so light. It is what it is and you can't expect it to act any different, I trust my PF9, but I know that it can jam if I don't keep it clean and lube the slide rails AND hold on to it like I mean it!
    Just curious, what is MFS???
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I am going to jump in on the PPS wagon, I absolutely love mine! I carry it daily like a breeze. I have a relatively small frame at 5'10" and 150, and it just dissapears with the seven round mag and one in the hole.
    Is the PPS small enough for pocket carry without printing much using a pocket holster? That's what I'm looking for in a slim 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    Is the PPS small enough for pocket carry without printing much using a pocket holster? That's what I'm looking for in a slim 9mm.

I would think using the 6 round flush magazine that it is the same height as the Kahr PM9 and would be pocketable. Again just my opinion. God Bless

Wow, that Bersa has a real long grip handle.
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

PPS will not fit in a "jeans" pocket. Cropper or 5.11 pants pocket will accommodate PPS pocket carry. BTW, the 5.11 Holster Shirts are awesome, and PPS is a very comfortable fit. The PPS is a great IWB.
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    Just curious, what is MFS???
    "MFS" is the name on the box...the side of the box reads: MFS 2000 Magyar Loszergyarto Zrt. Hungarian Ammunition Manufacturing Inc.

I had several FTF/FTE's every mag in both 380 and 9mm, in both of my 9mm's and my wife's 380

Quote Originally Posted by RobO9mm View Post
    "MFS" is the name on the box...the side of the box reads: MFS 2000 Magyar Loszergyarto Zrt. Hungarian Ammunition Manufacturing Inc.

I had several FTF/FTE's every mag in both 380 and 9mm, in both of my 9mm's and my wife's 380
    Thanks. Something that I'll stay away from!
    Tony

VIP Member
    Just paid $299.99 for a new LC9. I could not pass up the sale price. Yes I paid $37.00 for a second mag. It can fit into a pants pocket but if the pants are loose fit. Kinda prints in the pocket. I will not carry in the pocket ( just saying it can ). It is nice and thin, I shot the PPS and PPQ last week. Walthers are very very nice, but seem larger. I think the Ruger is better for deep concealment. The trigger is a long pull but smooth and light. there are lots of safetys on the Ruger if you like that sort of thing for carry. I recomend the LC9 if you can get one on sale. I do feel for the most part you get what you pay for. I would not purchase one as my one or only gun. If you are a one gun person then get the best gun you can afford.

Sixgun, of the guns that you and others have mentioned, the only one I have personal experience w/ is the Kel-Tec PF9. I bought it nearly 3 years ago as my first cc gun. I've been very pleased w/ it. After many hundereds of rounds through it, it's yet to malfunction for me. From reading the 'net, I'm aware that not everyone's had a good experience like mine. I did the "fluff and buff" treatement before shooting the first round. One decision that might help you narrow your choice is how you plan to carry your gun. To me, one of the advantages of some of the slim 9's is the ability to pocket carry, albeit not in ALL types of pants. For me, cargo pants/shorts, are very agreeable to pocket carry w/ the PF9. In fact, that's mostly how I carry the my PF9 now days. From what I've read, it seems the PPS is a little big for pocket carry.

I bought a Kahr CW45 a few weeks ago for cc and have been very pleased w/ it. Based on that, I'd also consider the Kahr series. If cost is a cosideration, the CW9 is not as expensive as others. The dimensions of the CW9 are very close to the PF9 so that pocket carry should be possible w/ it, as well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links