Bought! taurus pt740 (1st GUN)

This is a discussion on Bought! taurus pt740 (1st GUN) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockrocker Was you mad at yourself? For not buying a Glock ? From a lot I have been reading, Glocks are going ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Bought! taurus pt740 (1st GUN)

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Was you mad at yourself?
    For not buying a Glock ? From a lot I have been reading, Glocks are going downhill, I keep one loaded for a HD gun, and two more in the safe, along with a lot of other high quality firearms, but this summer, I will have a 740 that I will carry, Why, ? cause i like it ..... and it is easier to carry than a cut off piece of 2 x 4 ....
    NavyAirdale likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

2. Remove Ads

I just moved to FL, and haven't purchased a gun here as of yet. Not sure what to expect myself. In Virginia, the waiting period was about 10 minutes (of course, I had a spotless record). I'm sure I will find out soon enough. I made an appointment at the regional office of licensing to get my FL permit, but that isn't until Feb 20th. They said I was covered with my VA since they reciprocate.

Don't worry about what others say regarding your choice. I've got guns from all sorts of manufacturers. My PT709 gets more carry time than my Glock 36...and I have no concerns carrying either of them. Keep it clean and use quality ammo and you're fine. I like the 740 (a buddy of mine has one) and I have shot it quite a bit. It might be a handful for a new shooter, but don't be surprised. It is a small and light .40, it will have a bit of recoil. Just practice and get some good training.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Welcome to DC from GA
    I also agree and might have also chosen a revolver as my first handgun. Very simple to operate. Get some training and practice. Alot of great info on this site, so also get used to reading and asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
    I have a PT740 with a couple of thousand rounds through it without a malfunction, as well as a TCP with about 1500 trouble free rounds. Both have a place in my carry rotation depending on dress/destination. Lots of good advice already given about training, cleaning, and lots of practice. Ignore the haters and snobs and make your own decisions.
    JerryMac and NavyAirdale like this.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Pretty bad that the gun snob crowd has infiltrated this forum lately.

No call to knock a person's choice of firearm.
    Calls it like I see it, I don't recommend High Points or Kel Tecs either but they've got fan clubs as well.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Taurus? I'll add you to my prayer list.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Taurus? I'll add you to my prayer list.
    And with that ^^^ I will bid this forum farewell.
    Getting to sound like Ar15.com in here.
    Ciao, and Godspeed.
    JerryMac likes this.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    And with that ^^^ I will bid this forum farewell.
    Getting to sound like Ar15.com in here.
    Ciao, and Godspeed.
    WoW ...... just noticed your location, Taurus Armed dot Net, sorry if I hurt your feelings
    .......but if you're so thin skinned ...........
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Originally Posted by retsupt99 - Taurus? I'll add you to my prayer list.
    Originally Posted by sgb -- Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
    Originally Posted by glockrocker--Was you mad at yourself?

Come on guys, gun bashing is like scratching your nuts, feels good when ya do it, but makes your fingers sticky n stink when your done....so if all you can do is read and bash someone for their choice, keep your fingers in your pants n off the keyboards.... I own a very nice collection of hanguns, and long guns, but I forsee my 740 slim getting a lot of use in the carry rotation , especially when summer gets here. Thats the great thing about being here, or it is at times, is to get a lot of good info from people who conceal n carry ..... if you have negative opinions, about a persons personal choice, before ya start typing it , think about your stinky finger, hit the back button n keep your snide comments to yourself .... my $.02
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I concur with those who have recommended training. I don't believe that there will be any problem picking up the gun. I recommend training with the target ammunition that has the same grains as the defense ammunition that you will be using. Good luck.

To repeat what others have said, constructively, learn all about your firearm before you go hot. Go to your local range or firearms store and ask the rangemaster or local gunsmith about your firearm; how to clean it, load it, and any safety features. Then take a CCW class even if you don't intend to get a CCW permit. The training will do you good. After that go practice, practice, practice..
    Disregard the gun snobs on this thread. If you like that pistol so be it. You may find later that you prefer a different one and trade your Taurus. Fine. Just be comfortable with the one(s) you plan to use.
    I own a Taurus PT745, Kel-Tec P3AT & PF9, Glock 22 & 26, a pair of S&W Mod 66s, and a RIA 1911. I stay proficient in all of those plus some long guns. They are cleaned and inspected regularly and I have confidence in all of them so don't let the naysayers bother you. They will always be here so just ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
    I guess I don't have any friends, then.
    Divebum47 and JerryMac like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Yes, go get some training. Take it slow. Get someone to help you learn about safe handling of guns. Learn to shoot. Consider a CCW permit. Then do some research on different guns to decide whats best for you. Then go buy a better gun than a Taurus.
    That's idiotic advice. If you like your Taurus, you shoot it well, and it gives you good service, then by all means, that should be your carry weapon. Most people who slam someone else's purchase do it out of ignorance, not knowledge. If you don't like your purchase, then by all means, find something else you like.

FYI, Taurus has vastly improved in both quality and customer service over the past couple of years. You will find that nearly every manufacturer has had problems with some of their products. Buying from a local shop minimizes the hassle should something need attention.
    NavyAirdale and JerryMac like this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I bought the Taurus PT 709 myself a month or so back because I liked the slim fit, the thumb safety if I wanted to use it, the chance to pull the trigger twice on a dead round and I just liked the look, feel and price.

Here is my breakdown of just the first shooting of the pistol:

I started with some Hornady 9mm Critical Defense that ran through her fine. I then shot some old +P rounds (I see they are not recommending the use of +P but if it fails with those, I don't trust it with regular ammo). Then, shooting some very old regular 9mm ammo thru it (5+ years that I wanted to finally shoot up) I had one fail to fire that a second pull sent down range (I blame the old ammo). I also had the slide fail to lock back on the last round several times with the old ammo, but with new ammo it did fine (wonder if it was underpowered due to age). I did tend to pull down and to the left because I was not familiar with the grip, trigger and fit in the hand. Taking time and better aim centered them up. I do like the slim profile and easy to manipulate action.

Now, I can hear all of the Taurus haters laughing already, but in thirty something years, I have had a Colt Lightweight Commander shear off the tube between the thumb safety and and the slide release during qualifications, a Smith and Wesson 659 that was finiky about what it would reliably feed until I had the ramp polished, a Duty Issued Glock that failed to fire at qualifications because the former officer had cleaned it poorly and the internal striker mechanism was completely gummed up, a Browning Hi-Power that had such a long and exposed magazine release button that in the old flap (Widow-maker) holsters the button would be depressed by the leather if I moved wrong in a patrol car and would release the magazine, meaning if I had to pull and fire, the magazine would have dropped away unexpectedly (not really a defective a gun issue but still a problem) and have seen many many more "High Quality name brand" guns fail. I personally loved my Glock 19 and that pistol was iron clad, because I took care of it, so it scared the whooha outta me when the department issued me a Glock 17 that failed to fire at all when they wanted me to qualify with it .

So, you can get a turkey no matter what you buy, and you can get the goose that laid the golden egg in what many may consider a low quality weapon (I absolutely loved my Llama .380 years ago and I doubt people would have called it a high quality weapon in the 90's).

Good luck with the gun, get as much training as you can and be safe.
    Last edited by lordofwyr; January 27th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    I bought the Taurus PT 709 myself a month or so back because I liked the slim fit, the thumb safety if I wanted to use it, the chance to pull the trigger twice on a dead round and I just liked the look, feel and price.

Here is my breakdown of just the first shooting of the pistol:

I started with some Hornady 9mm Critical Defense that ran through her fine. I then shot some old +P rounds (I see they are not recommending the use of +P but if it fails with those, I don't trust it with regular ammo). Then, shooting some very old regular 9mm ammo thru it (5+ years that I wanted to finally shoot up) I had one fail to fire that a second pull sent down range (I blame the old ammo). I also had the slide fail to lock back on the last round several times with the old ammo, but with new ammo it did fine (wonder if it was underpowered due to age). I did tend to pull down and to the left because I was not familiar with the grip, trigger and fit in the hand. Taking time and better aim centered them up. I do like the slim profile and easy to manipulate action.

Now, I can hear all of the Taurus haters laughing already, but in thirty something years, I have had a Colt Lightweight Commander shear off the tube between the thumb safety and and the slide release during qualifications, a Smith and Wesson 659 that was finiky about what it would reliably feed until I had the ramp polished, a Duty Issued Glock that failed to fire at qualifications because the former officer had cleaned it poorly and the internal striker mechanism was completely gummed up, a Browning Hi-Power that had such a long and exposed magazine release button that in the old flap (Widow-maker) holsters the button would be depressed by the leather if I moved wrong in a patrol car and would release the magazine, meaning if I had to pull and fire, the magazine would have dropped away unexpectedly (not really a defective a gun issue but still a problem) and have seen many many more "High Quality name brand" guns fail. I personally loved my Glock 19 and that pistol was iron clad, because I took care of it, so it scared the whooha outta me when the department issued me a Glock 17 that failed to fire at all when they wanted me to qualify with it .

So, you can get a turkey no matter what you buy, and you can get the goose that laid the golden egg in what many may consider a low quality weapon (I absolutely loved my Llama .380 years ago and I doubt people would have called it a high quality weapon in the 90's).

Good luck with the gun, get as much training as you can and be safe.
    You got it!! My primary carry weapon is a Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro. I have several thousand rounds down range with no problems that I cannot trace to ammo or magazine wear. I stake my life on the reliability of that gun. I also am a scuba diver, and both sports have those who own such and such a brand and will swear that every other brand sucks or middle of the road brand sucks. Most of that is based not on personal experience but hearsay. I'm past the age where gun snobbery is much of an issue.

The remarks in this thread are uncalled for, idiotic, childish and supremely arrogant. Maybe instead of putting someone on a prayer list for buying a Taurus, one should pray for forgiveness of the sin of arrogance. And friends support the choices of other friends and if those choices turn out to be wrong, they help their friend. And you shouldn't be mad at yourself - you should be happy with yourself that you made an educated choice. If that hits home to anyone, good. Maybe you ought to put your brain in gear before operating your fingers.
    JerryMac likes this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links