Bought! taurus pt740 (1st GUN)

This is a discussion on Bought! taurus pt740 (1st GUN) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Divebum47 That's idiotic advice. If you like your Taurus, you shoot it well, and it gives you good service, then by all ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Bought! taurus pt740 (1st GUN)

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    That's idiotic advice. If you like your Taurus, you shoot it well, and it gives you good service, then by all means, that should be your carry weapon. Most people who slam someone else's purchase do it out of ignorance, not knowledge. If you don't like your purchase, then by all means, find something else you like.

FYI, Taurus has vastly improved in both quality and customer service over the past couple of years. You will find that nearly every manufacturer has had problems with some of their products. Buying from a local shop minimizes the hassle should something need attention.
    FYI I was not slamming the OPs gun purchase. And FYI I happen to have owned a Taurus recently that was not dependable. It has been my experience with fellow shooters that about 50% of the them are trash. So you got a good one. Count yourself lucky and read all the posts in this thread before slamming others. Post #5 below:

Sorry...didnt mean to bash your gun of choice. Lots of people love the Taurus PT slim autos. Just learn to use it safely and put several hundred rounds through it to make sure its dependable. Have fun and be safe.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    For not buying a Glock ? From a lot I have been reading, Glocks are going downhill, I keep one loaded for a HD gun, and two more in the safe, along with a lot of other high quality firearms, but this summer, I will have a 740 that I will carry, Why, ? cause i like it ..... and it is easier to carry than a cut off piece of 2 x 4 ....
    Im offended. You just bashed my handgun of choice.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Im offended. You just bashed my handgun of choice.
    LOL .. I love my Glock, that is why it is where it is, I do stake my, and my familys life on its reliability and knowing without a doubt that when i pull the trigger it is going to go bang..... just not fond of carrying one ....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I happen to have owned a Taurus recently that was not dependable. It has been my experience with fellow shooters that about 50% of the them are trash. So you got a good one. Count yourself lucky and read all the posts in this thread before slamming others. .

Yep, it's my first post here. Judging by this thread alone, it will be my last. I own 4 Taurus. 100% of them are not trash. I must really be screwing up the odds, or REALLY lucky.

You've run one of your newer forum members off, he's landed at TaurusArmed and will be quite happy there. Hands down the best firearms forum on the net. Good guys and gals, no elitists. After reading the responses posted by some of the forum members here, looks like a lot of you need to re-read the forum rules and agreement you signed:

"2. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You are welcome to disagree with opinions other than your own, but flaming other members will not be allowed. If you can't figure out how to compose a post without it being confrontational or a personal attack on someone, simply bite your lip and don't post it."

I think quite a few of the replies violate this rule. There were a few forum members here that called the others out on this, good for them...they should head on over to TA.net as well and join a better community of firearm enthusiasts.

Thanks,

FF2L

I did.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by 452Life View Post

Yep, it's my first post here. Judging by this thread alone, it will be my last. I own 4 Taurus. 100% of them are not trash. I must really be screwing up the odds, or REALLY lucky.

You've run one of your newer forum members off, he's landed at TaurusArmed and will be quite happy there. Hands down the best firearms forum on the net. Good guys and gals, no elitists. After reading the responses posted by some of the forum members here, looks like a lot of you need to re-read the forum rules and agreement you signed:

"2. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You are welcome to disagree with opinions other than your own, but flaming other members will not be allowed. If you can't figure out how to compose a post without it being confrontational or a personal attack on someone, simply bite your lip and don't post it."

I think quite a few of the replies violate this rule. There were a few forum members here that called the others out on this, good for them...they should head on over to TA.net as well and join a better community of firearm enthusiasts.

Thanks,

FF2L
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Pretty bad that the gun snob crowd has infiltrated this forum lately.

No call to knock a person's choice of firearm.

wormy likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Oh jeez. Why doesn't the above post surprise me?
    NavyAirdale likes this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Oh jeez. Why doesn't the above post surprise me?
    I find your post elitist
    wormy and NavyAirdale like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

After taking a look at that Taurus website, (I cannot agree that it is the best firearms forum on the net, sorry) I found the thread below to be very interesting and informative.

Taurus International MFG, Inc. Factory Tour

Seems Taurus has finally started to listen to the complaints and do something about it. It's a long read but worth your time. If they can deliver on their new promises I think I might buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    Originally Posted by retsupt99 - Taurus? I'll add you to my prayer list.
    Originally Posted by sgb -- Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
    Originally Posted by glockrocker--Was you mad at yourself?

Come on guys, gun bashing is like scratching your nuts, feels good when ya do it, but makes your fingers sticky n stink when your done....so if all you can do is read and bash someone for their choice, keep your fingers in your pants n off the keyboards.... I own a very nice collection of hanguns, and long guns, but I forsee my 740 slim getting a lot of use in the carry rotation , especially when summer gets here. Thats the great thing about being here, or it is at times, is to get a lot of good info from people who conceal n carry ..... if you have negative opinions, about a persons personal choice, before ya start typing it , think about your stinky finger, hit the back button n keep your snide comments to yourself .... my $.02
    Amen brother. I have guns from several manufactures even a kel tec 32 and they all have been good guns for me. Guns are like anything else sometime somewhere someone will get a bad one. Stay safe.
    NavyAirdale likes this.

Welcome to the forum.There's a lot of good info on here.I looked at the PT740 and think it's a nice looking gun.Might be my next purchase.Enjoy your new gun.Don't worry about the negative comments.Buy what works for you.I must say,It's the least supporting thread I have read.But that's people for you.They have to make them selves feel good somehow.Enjoy and be safe.
    NavyAirdale likes this.
    Don't believe everything you think.

VIP Member
    I missed this thread when it was new. I have a PT-145 pro that I have put several thousand rounds through. The only problems I have had were ammo and mag related.

The ammo - it did not like the primers on S&B ammo. It has not balked at any other ammo, before or since, but it would not reliably shoot the S&B when my G21 & G30 would.

The mags - keep them clean. Dirty mags in a Taurus will cause feeding issues. I had one that would not feed and would not tap rack drill to clear. Cleaning it fixed the problem, but that mag has been marked as a range only mag. To be fair, I had been doing a lot of training for 2 days and we were dropping mags in gravel and putting new ones in, but I did have a problem with 1 mag that could not be quickly remedied.

If you prove your carry ammo and mags and keep your carry mags clean, I would expect no problems with your new Taurus. As always, carry at least 1 spare mag.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
    Maybe this was true several years ago,but I bought a 740 slim recently and have several hundred trouble-free rounds through it of many brands and bullet design. Taurus quality has improved immensely to where they can compete with the big boys now. I like the slim design and relatively light weight compared to say a 1911 .45. I can carry the 740 in the summer with an OWB Gould & Goodrich holster and only a T-shirt to cover it. No imprint. I own 3 Glocks, 2 S&Ws,1 RIA 1911, and a couple Kel Tecs. Sure I prefer some over the others, but I wouldn't knock someone else's choice of a CCW weapon just because its different than mine. To each his own & whatever you're comfortable with. Get some training and practice, practice, practice and ignore the gun snobs here. There are a lot of good guys here willing to offer helpful, constructive advice.

Think I'll head over to the Taurus forum. Much friendlier crowd and fewer gun snobs.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyAirdale View Post
    Maybe this was true several years ago,but I bought a 740 slim recently and have several hundred trouble-free rounds through it of many brands and bullet design. Taurus quality has improved immensely to where they can compete with the big boys now. I like the slim design and relatively light weight compared to say a 1911 .45. I can carry the 740 in the summer with an OWB Gould & Goodrich holster and only a T-shirt to cover it. No imprint. I own 3 Glocks, 2 S&Ws,1 RIA 1911, and a couple Kel Tecs. Sure I prefer some over the others, but I wouldn't knock someone else's choice of a CCW weapon just because its different than mine. To each his own & whatever you're comfortable with. Get some training and practice, practice, practice and ignore the gun snobs here. There are a lot of good guys here willing to offer helpful, constructive advice.

Think I'll head over to the Taurus forum. Much friendlier crowd and fewer gun snobs.
    What one calls another when they're offended that they're not agreed with. Taurus's reputation of horrendous quality control and customer service has been well earned, that you may own one (or several) that actually work does not negate that friend.

Congrats on your first purchase. I am a big Taurus fan, don't let the gun snob crowd get you down. I have the PT709 9mm and I love it. I do have to agree with everyone. Get some training. The gun is sweet, and with some practice you will find it is really accurate and easy to shoot. Welcome!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links