Bought! taurus pt740 (1st GUN)

This is a discussion on Bought! taurus pt740 (1st GUN) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just wanted to get some questions answered. I bought this gun on sunday in florida and i got passed the phone call with a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Bought! taurus pt740 (1st GUN)

Bought! taurus pt740 (1st GUN)

I just wanted to get some questions answered. I bought this gun on sunday in florida and i got passed the phone call with a three day waiting period.

Is that a good sign as far as approval (getting past the phone call)?

I go to pick up the gun tomorrow morning and i guess i am just nervous that they are going to say i have been denied. do most people that get throuh the phone call get approved? i have an Affray ajudacation withhold that has been sealed and nothing else is on my record exept for speeding tickets. I havnt gotten a bad phone call from the gun shop saying that i have been denied. just nervous im going to drive another 50 miles to the gun shop and there going to say tough luck and give me a 25% restocking fee.

Is this a good first gun? a pt740 slim? i am qurious to how the DA/SA works? is it mainly double action or single?

Thank You,
    Paul

2. Remove Ads

I don't know about Florida but, (please don't get mad here) when you pick your gun up preferably before you even buy any ammo GO GET TRAINED!!!! Not to sound condescending but from the questions you just asked you should NOT have even bought a gun. Foregoing the obvious that you may have gotten ripped off you may save yourself or someone else a serious injury or death. Sorry to bust on you but you need to KNOW what you are doing before you chamber that first round.
    A_D, RemMod597, SIGguy229 and 1 others like this.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Yes, go get some training. Take it slow. Get someone to help you learn about safe handling of guns. Learn to shoot. Consider a CCW permit. Then do some research on different guns to decide whats best for you. Then go buy a better gun than a Taurus.
    A_D and SIGguy229 like this.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Knew you were gonna get slammed for the Taurus purchase, cause you did not buy a Glock, LOL ..... but on the serious note, for you and everone else, ask about some training, and find a range and shoot shoot shoot..... check into a ccw, as that also comes with some training. my biggest piece of advice, is keep your bugger hook off the trigger until you want it to go bang.....take it slow, the trigger on the 740 takes some getting used to, as it is a single action per say, and cocks itself after first shot is fired, but if you have a fail to fire, you pull the trigger again, and it is like a double action.....personally, the 740 would not have been my first choice for a first gun. if you are not familiar with handguns, a revolver is a good way to start.....I own a 740 slim, with several hundred rounds through it without a problem. Hate it when people bash other peoples guns, it is a recent purchase for me, and i bought it for summer carry, as it is what it says, slim. and light, with a reasonable price. Believe me it is not the only gun in my safe, and I have many other mfgers, I liked it , I bought it and am pretty dang glad i did.......
    As to the 3 day wait, is that normal for where you are, we get ours in like 15 minutes where I am from.......fill out the paperwork, walk around the store and out the door pretty quick, and a recent ccw gets you straight out.....
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Yes, go get some training. Take it slow. Get someone to help you learn about safe handling of guns. Learn to shoot. Consider a CCW permit. Then do some research on different guns to decide whats best for you. Then go buy a better gun than a Taurus.
    Sorry...didnt mean to bash your gun of choice. Lots of people love the Taurus PT slim autos. Just learn to use it safely and put several hundred rounds through it to make sure its dependable. Have fun and be safe.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Trust me i am going to take a course! first thing! before buying ammo. i dont know what i said? lol.. on the first shot can this gun be manually cocked? so DA on the fist shot and SA after that unless there is a mis load?

Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

If you know anyone that is a shooter, just offer free ammo to have them put you through the paces at a local gun range. Learn how to load and chamber your weapon, clear malfunctions, proper grip, etc. Shoot as many rounds through your new Taurus as you can afford. Get to know it, how it recoils, and if shoots to point of aim or needs the sights adjusted. Once you have some comfort level with your new gun, check out private instruction from an NRC Certified Pistol Instructor. Most gun ranges have them on staff or have a few of their business cards lying around. Make an appointment, and spend an hour listening and learning. Once you have a pretty good feel for gun safety, how your gun shoots, then its time to send off to the Florida Department of Agriculture for your Concealed Weapons License Application.....actually you should do this ASAP so you have it ready. Then find a Concealed Weapons Licensing class and pay the fee. You'll have about four hours of instruction and need to be able to fire your weapon and hit a man size target at 7 yards?? You only need to fire a couple of magazines to qualifty for your license. No biggie after you've practiced at the range.

Heres a link to have the Florida Department of Agriculture send you your application and information packet. Also is a link to the Florida Statutes that describe in detail Florida Gun Laws....read this....a lot.

Good luck!!

Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS

Form/Publication Request 790 - Division of Licensing, FDACS

- Chapter 790 - 2010 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate
    JerryMac likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have the PT709 and have 4000+ problem free rounds through mine. Make sure to field strip it and clean it well before shooting it. It has a lot of the white packing grease in there that will cause problems if not cleaned out. Very dependable pistol in my experience. God Bless

sgb
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post

For a *Senior Member* here on DC that was a pretty constructive post.............NOT. Why put someone down for something they purchased ??? Just does not seem right in my opinion. God Bless

Was you mad at yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Pretty bad that the gun snob crowd has infiltrated this forum lately.

No call to knock a person's choice of firearm.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Hi paulb787 and welcome to the forum! You have taken to first steps to being a responsible gun owner and that is looking for answers and asking questions. This forum and several others have taught me a great deal more just simply by browsing and reading the posts. Just take in the useful info and disregard the snide remarks when necessary. As suggested seek proper instruction, but as long as you follow the 4 basic rules drilled into my head by my shooting instructor/CCD instructor, you are ready to begin. 1) assume EVERY gun is loaded until you (not anyone else) have checked it and made sure it is not. 2) NEVER point your weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot 3) Keep your finger OFF the trigger and rested against the solid part of the gun until ready to fire (look up sympathic squeeze) 4) know your target and what lies beyond BEFORE committing to firing your weapon. You and EVERY other gun owner should know these by heart. These are words to LIVE by. Good luck and enjoy the experience. Happy and SAFE learning.
    JerryMac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb787 View Post
    Trust me i am going to take a course! first thing! before buying ammo. i dont know what i said? lol.. on the first shot can this gun be manually cocked? so DA on the fist shot and SA after that unless there is a mis load?
    As far as I understand it, and someone correct me if I am wrong, the Taurus does not have a decocker so as soon as you rack the slide, the gun is in single action mode. Each time the gun is fired it will re-cock the gun into single action mode. The double action mode with this gun is used as only as a "second strike" option should a bullet not fire the first time its primer is struck.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Welcome to the forum. Read, Read, Read. This place is a great source for information and links to help you educate yourself on the safe handling and use of firearms.

As far as your purchase. While many people stay clear of Taurus guns I believe it's mainly because of their poor customer service. Every manufacturer has issues with their product but it's how they treat their customers and stand by their products that separates the good ones from the bad. Sadly, Taurus customer service has built a very poor reputation.

Enjoy your new Taurus and continue to educate yourself. Many of us have been shooting for decades but never refuse the opportunity to learn something new.
    JerryMac, zonker1986 and Idahokid like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links