Lets talk pocket pistols!

This is a discussion on Lets talk pocket pistols! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by los FYI, the .22 caliber bullet has killed more people than Cecil B. DeMille. Very true but unless you put them in ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Lets talk pocket pistols!

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    FYI, the .22 caliber bullet has killed more people than Cecil B. DeMille.
    Very true but unless you put them in the suspects face he, many times, will complete the offending action before he folds up and dies.

I'm not much on small pocket autos and carried a j frame of one flavor or another for many years in a pocket holster. I recently went retro and have started carrying a Colt Agent, not a New Agent, in a Mika pocket holster. I like 6 rounds as opposed to 5. I may bob the hammer and I will probably put a set of Badger grips on it. Unless someone is wearing very tight pants I see no reason a small revolver cannot be carried in place of a .32 or .380 semi.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I pocket carry a beretta nano very easily. I am 5'11 and weigh about 165.

I love my LCP with painted sites, Hogue grip and Pierce extension works good for the certain situation. I have carried my Beretta PX4 SC .40 but very heavy for me. I am going to purchase a Kahr CM9 when time is right but IMHO you can't go wrong with little miss Elsie.
    Attached Images
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

My idea of the ideal pocket gun has changed a lot over the past few years.....

Started out with a Kahr P380...... It wasn't reliable after nearly 1,000 rounds. I decided the most important thing to me was reliability for a self defense gun, so....

Got me a Ruger LCR. It's a real sweet shooter and very accurate.......but it only holds 5 rounds and I'm just not a quick reloader, so.....

Got me a Glock 26 with flush fitting magazine. It actually fits in the same pocket holster as my Ruger LCR. It has nearly the same dimensions but it is heavier. I considered other single stack 9mm's but most I've read about have questionable reliability, or they are nearly the same size as the Glock (but thinner). One thing you can say about Glocks......they are reliable. So when I can't carry my Sig iawb, I pocket carry the Glock. You can get used to it if you give it time.

My S&W Bodyguard has performed well through ~400-500 rounds. Double strike capability is nice when shooting cheap Tul-Ammo.

The insight laser is a piece of steaming POO... though!

Father-in law has the Kahr P380. Very nice pocket pistol if you want to spend a little more.

If we limit this discussion to pocket pistols, forget the Kahr PM-9 or any variant, too big (I have one, too big)
    Fun to shoot? Sig P-238. Fits in your pocket at the upper side of acceptable.
    But, since it's a S/A only, make sure you get a pocket holster that covers the safety as well as the trigger.
    Since you had a .32, and want a really nice pocket pistol, consider a Seecamp .32.
    Not too pricey, almost fun to shoot, surprisingly accurate.

VIP Member
    LCP with orange painted front sight and CT grip laser. Carries like a dream and shoots to point of aim out to at least 25 yards with the laser. Don't, however, confuse this with a range gun. It is a pain to shoot, but fills the BUG/deep concealment role very well.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

This is good thread I really like the feel of the Ruger LCR it is very light and although just on the upper limit of what I consider a pocket carry gun it sure seems like a nice gun for the task.

How about Rohrbaugh Firearms this is a small package with a good caliber choice.

Check out the S&W 642 in a Kramer pocket holster. If that's too big, take a look at the Seecamp 32 in the same type holster.The Seecamp is built like a tank.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    This is good thread I really like the feel of the Ruger LCR it is very light and although just on the upper limit of what I consider a pocket carry gun it sure seems like a nice gun for the task.

How about Rohrbaugh Firearms this is a small package with a good caliber choice.
    If cost is no issue, the Rohrbaugh R9S is the gold standard in pocket 9mm pistols.

I have a SIG P238 and an LCP with a grip sleeve on it. Love the P238. It's got real night sights standard, decent single action trigger, a good safety, pleasant to shoot. It's a pocket gun that shoots like a subcompact.

I also like the LCP. The Hogue Handall Slip-ON Grip Sleeve makes it somewhat nicer to shoot and easier to hang onto. I have the pinky extension on the grip. I've gotten better with it over time. Had it at the range yesterday. Managed to keep them all in com shooting about as fast as I could pull the trigger. I've not gone unarmed when I wanted to be armed since I bought the LCP. My LCP likes to be kept clean, so does the P238. I clean them after each range trip (unlike my Glocks which I clean when I feel like it, maybe twice a year) and take them down once a week when I carry them every day in the summer to make sure they haven't built up lint or other crud from spending time in my pocket.

The P238 is the nicest to shoot of all the pocket pistols I've fired (most of them). The LCP (and the kel-Tec P3AT and P32) are the most concealable guns I've fired. The LCP is inexpensive. Start there.

Fitch's first rule of optimization: To have the best of anything, you must have at least one.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

DC
    Thanks to the OP for this thread. I'm new to CC and I'm currently carrying an XD9 and I'm happy with it. Looking ahead to summer, I know I'll need something smaller for shorts/no shirt work time. My two interests currently are the LCR and LCP. I just need to actually handle and shot each to decide.

I sort of have the same thread going as this one light wt and accuracy, 9 vs. 380. what is real world experience , but with more focus on accuracy.

It seems that those with the sig 380 find it to be the most accurate vs. lcp, with kahr coming in next. However, I was a bit concerned with SA carry in pocket or small holster. Also, had hoped to find more people who have actually tested out kahr vs lcp vs sig, not a big enough sample here yet to know. Wish there was a place that would rent...

I have an LCP that has functioned flawlessly. The sights have been my only compaint. The sights are hard to see but are much better after applying some sight paint from my LGS. I once had a 1.5 inch group out of my LCP so I know they are accurate. The trigger pull is a long DA pull thats light and smooth. In fact I thought the LCP trigger was better than the LC9 and PF9.
    IMG955822.jpg

The Seecamp .32 is the best pocket pistol there is, period.
    Qui omnes insidias timet in nullas incidit
    He who fears every ambush falls into none

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I've heard nothing but good about LCRs, and LCPs. I have a personal weakness for revolvers. If you're looking for a really small 'get back' gun, I would recommend looking into the little .22mag revolvers. My grandfather has one, and I don't see a .22 magnum kicking too hard to be comfortable to shoot. Unlike a 'pocket' .357.

I think anything that will throw some lead into the BG when/where it counts is a 'good gun'.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links