Lets talk pocket pistols! - Page 4

Lets talk pocket pistols!

This is a discussion on Lets talk pocket pistols! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm I would rather have the air weight j frame, but I have found the Beretta Tomcat to be a very high ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Lets talk pocket pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I would rather have the air weight j frame, but I have found the Beretta Tomcat to be a very high quality carry piece.

Many people like to throw stupid statements out there when talking pocket guns, such as " not enough power" ect bla bla.
    But, when you look at what a " pocket pistol" is, it is not, I repeat, not a weapon intended for combat. It is a " get off me" gun. It is meant to be carried in the pocket, and used at close range to give the user room, or, oppurtunity to get away to safety.

One does not intend to engage in shoot outs or other such nonsensical fantasies as the tin foil warrior can conjure up in his worst paranormic nightmare. It is simply a piece of convenience, a compromise if you will, that one drops into the pocket.

My thoughts are that any gun, is better than no gun, and not everyone wants to walk around "heeled" to the max every waking moment.

Additionally, a high quality piece should be chosen. I personally do not think this includes the Kel Tec crap and a few others.
    Couldn't be stated better. And I concur, stay away from Kel Tec, they are crap.
    true grit likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Lots of good info coming, seems many like the Ruger LCP...

I went to look at one today and I must say it impressed me.

I will price the Rohrbaugh but leaning really hard towards the LCR it just feels right in my hand.

Man needs at least one BUG. Right guys and gals help me out here.

I carry the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380. I've found it to be reasonably accurate, flawless to date, and it fits well in my front pocket jeans and back pocket , buttoned, slacks. It does have a l.o.n.g. trigger pull, but with practice I find it acceptable. I have not had problems with the laser and like the added feature. I do plan on painting the front sight soon. I shoot Golden Saber ammo and carry in a Mika rounded or squared holster.

I own an LCP. Daughter carries one fine weapons.
    I not sure I would go any smaller than a 380. The LCP will fit in my pocket. As for site, these type weapon are not range guns as some would say they are a point and shoot.
    Put some rounds down range you'll get the hang of it.
    Another aid on the LCP is the laserlyte of LCp low cost hardly know it is there works well.

I have to say I have an LCP with CT laser sights and really like it. 500+ rounds through it with no problems.I just keep it clean and lubed. I am not much on carrying in my pocket, but I will say it carries great in an IWB holster.Very comfortable and you hardly know its there.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I carry a smith and wesson bodyguard they can be bought for 300 dollars or less if you shop around it comes with pocket holster and what looks like a book bag for off persons carry. light very accurate and comes already equiped with a laser light than was dead on straight out of the box. very easy to shoot and will feed any ammo i've shoot through it with no malfunctions..has good sight with a rear a sight that is adjustable S & W Bodyguard small.jpg
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tclance View Post
    I have to say I have an LCP with CT laser sights and really like it. 500+ rounds through it with no problems.I just keep it clean and lubed. I am not much on carrying in my pocket, but I will say it carries great in an IWB holster.Very comfortable and you hardly know its there.
    Why would one want a laser sight on a pocket pistol? Isn't the whole idea for a pocket pistol as someone posted earlier, a "get off me" weapon????

I bought my daughter a Smith Bodyguard .380. It has a laser sight that functioned poorly. Actually, the sight was OK but it was very difficult to turn on and off. My son-in-law tinkered with the pads on the switch and repositioned them somewhat and now the laser is easier to activate. My daughter picked the Bodyguard 380 over the LCP and the Smith airweight .38.

Having shot both the LCP and the Bodyguard .380, I prefer the Bodyguard. The grip is slightly larger and the sights are better. Both are hot little guns that fit easily within my pocket.

But for a CC pocket pistol, my choice is the LC9. It is only slightly larger than the Bodyguard 380 and the LCP and costs just a little more. It has slightly more firepower in a 9mm cartridge, holding seven in the mag. I will be purchasing one very soon!

I fully intended on going pocket carry in the beginning, but chose to go iwb and carry a p238 instead. I've only been firing handguns regularly for a couple of years now, so my experience is not that of a seasoned vet. I can tell you that I've fired a lcp and 380 bodyguard and out of the three I am much more comfortable and confident with my sig p238. I've enjoyed firing it as much as anything else and I have not once regretted my decision. As someone mentioned earlier, the p938 will be available soon enough and I would really like to try one of those out as well. I can say with my experience that if iwb is an option, the p238 is a wonderful weapon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrflannery77 View Post
    I fully intended on going pocket carry in the beginning, but chose to go iwb and carry a p238 instead. I've only been firing handguns regularly for a couple of years now, so my experience is not that of a seasoned vet. I can tell you that I've fired a lcp and 380 bodyguard and out of the three I am much more comfortable and confident with my sig p238. I've enjoyed firing it as much as anything else and I have not once regretted my decision. As someone mentioned earlier, the p938 will be available soon enough and I would really like to try one of those out as well. I can say with my experience that if iwb is an option, the p238 is a wonderful weapon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    that p238 is sweet ain't it!!?!?! dude I carry an LCP and I really enjoy it, but my wife has a p238 and it's so awesome.

great trigger, smooth slide and the sights are the best I've ever seen. It's my favorite gun by a long-shot.

Quote Originally Posted by HoganLongfellow View Post
    that p238 is sweet ain't it!!?!?! dude I carry an LCP and I really enjoy it, but my wife has a p238 and it's so awesome.

great trigger, smooth slide and the sights are the best I've ever seen. It's my favorite gun by a long-shot.
    My son has the P238. It is a sweet shooting gun, without doubt. The slide is very light and smooth. However, you can purchase two Bodyguards (or LCPs) and some practice ammo for what he paid for the P238.

You could also purchase two of the LC9 on sale for the cost of the P238.

is there an issue of pocket carrying a p238 considering it is SA, and therefore hammer is back and cocked? This is the same situation as others like it, but those are normally carried in holster that is secured. I am fairly new to this, what happens if you drop one, or it gets hit while in your pocket. Is there a higher chance of accidental fire with a SA in position 1?

I also have a LCP. I have carried it almost daily for about a year. Like most everyone else I only have trouble with the sights. Thought about a laser but have not gotten around to it yet. What kind of paint would you use on the sight? It would have to be tough so as not to wear off in the pocket would it not?

"pocket pistol"

Been there done that, settled on the J frame for my pocket, ankle and belly gun needs.

I have plenty of choices for the role, but for me and my preferences regarding power and reliability, nothing beats the J frame IMO.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    I also have a LCP. I have carried it almost daily for about a year. Like most everyone else I only have trouble with the sights. Thought about a laser but have not gotten around to it yet. What kind of paint would you use on the sight? It would have to be tough so as not to wear off in the pocket would it not?
    When I painted my LCP front sight, I used a light grey primer and day-glo orange paint both meant for painting remote control car bodies. I applied both with an airbrush after taping off the sight. Looks great and has held up well. The pocket holster will protect the sight along with the rest if the gun.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links