Lets talk pocket pistols!

This is a discussion on Lets talk pocket pistols! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I've decide to buy me a small pocket pistol for carry when my normal handgun is just not practical. I owned a Kel Tec ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Lets talk pocket pistols!

Lets talk pocket pistols!

Well, I've decide to buy me a small pocket pistol for carry when my normal handgun is just not practical.

I owned a Kel Tec P32 a few years back, shot all of 50 rounds thur it and over all had no complaints about it.

But I've started looking at the Ruger LCP too and it seems to be a nicer version of the Kel Tec.

J-Frames are a bit too wide for me to pocket carry.

The Karh PM9 is very nice but pricy!

So to is the newest version of Colts 380 Pocket Mustang.

Beretta has the Tomcat and the Bobcat.

So, what does everyone else like?

Any diamonds in the rough I've might have missed?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    perfection can be hard to find--even at any price.

the K-T p380 or p32 with a shoot through holster is the closest to ideal i've found.
    lasers are fun for practice or informal shooting. but putting t rounds on target fast
    and close together takes actual practice under varying conditions.
    good luck finding that at many of todays clubs which do not even allow drawing from a holster
    and no rapid fire ( defned as 1 round per second).

try mouseguns.com and save for a Boberg
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Being already used to the KelTec .32, why not pick up the KelTec P-3AT?
    I've had one for 8-9 years, only carry it once in a while, but have never had one problem with it.
    JerryMac likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ruger quality at an affordable price. Id have to pick the LCP if money is a issue.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Either the ruger or the KelTec, I have a P3At, and it has functioned well, for what it is...... very easy to conceal, would not go back with the 32, as the 380 is the same size to carry with more punch..... just my $.o2
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I started with the Ruger LCP and did not like it. The sights are hard to get on target quickly. The all black slide was hard for me to pickup on. I traded it for a Taurus TCP with a stainless slide. Was easier to sight but had misfire issues with it. Stovepiping and not firing the last round in the mag 50% of the time. I finally settled on a S&W Bodyguard .380. I couldn't be happier. I have put over a 1000 rounds through it with not a single misfire. jam or FTF. Fires every round in the mag every time. Very easy to dissasemble and clean. The laser lyte is a plus for getting on target quickly. Very awesome gun.
    If someone points a gun at me I have a right to point one back.
    NRA, USCCA Member

My favorite pocket carry is a Kahr P380. I also own a LCP, which is also a nice pocket carry, but find myself carrying the Kahr simply because the trigger is much smoother.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ole slabside View Post
    Well, I've decide to buy me a small pocket pistol for carry when my normal handgun is just not practical.

I owned a Kel Tec P32 a few years back, shot all of 50 rounds thur it and over all had no complaints about it.

But I've started looking at the Ruger LCP too and it seems to be a nicer version of the Kel Tec.

J-Frames are a bit too wide for me to pocket carry.

The Karh PM9 is very nice but pricy!

So to is the newest version of Colts 380 Pocket Mustang.

Beretta has the Tomcat and the Bobcat.

So, what does everyone else like?

Any diamonds in the rough I've might have missed?

misconception on Jframes.... not too wide,I CCW one daily OWB and its
    easier than a slim 9MM like my PF9....its easier than a G27,IWB or Pocket carry

but sometimes I pocket carry my baby glock

HoganLongfellow likes this.

Administrator
    Beretta has a very good track record of having their small pistols function very well. They have been cranking them out for many, many years now and the function bugs have pretty much been all worked out. As long as you are using quality ammo and factory mags.

The Colt Mustang is also quite nice. Both the dimunitive Beretta pistols and the Colt will both maintain a decent value is good used condition so don't feel too bad about spending some extra money on them if that is that you ultimately decide on.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I pocket carry a keltec pf9 with crimson trace laser and pocket clip. Love it and its reliable!

I would rather have the air weight j frame, but I have found the Beretta Tomcat to be a very high quality carry piece.

Many people like to throw stupid statements out there when talking pocket guns, such as " not enough power" ect bla bla.
    But, when you look at what a " pocket pistol" is, it is not, I repeat, not a weapon intended for combat. It is a " get off me" gun. It is meant to be carried in the pocket, and used at close range to give the user room, or, oppurtunity to get away to safety.

One does not intend to engage in shoot outs or other such nonsensical fantasies as the tin foil warrior can conjure up in his worst paranormic nightmare. It is simply a piece of convenience, a compromise if you will, that one drops into the pocket.

My thoughts are that any gun, is better than no gun, and not everyone wants to walk around "heeled" to the max every waking moment.

Additionally, a high quality piece should be chosen. I personally do not think this includes the Kel Tec crap and a few others.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Additionally, a high quality piece should be chosen. I personally do not think this includes the Kel Tec crap and a few others.
    I would like to know how you really feel.

OP: If the Kahr PM9 is too pricey, check out the CM9, pretty much the same gun for around 400.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I've carried a KEL-TEc p32 daily for the past 4 years and been very pleased with it. Reliability is excellent and I find the .32 is more manageable than the .380. Light weight, and easily concealed. I prefer the fmj load.

JERRY

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Many people like to throw stupid statements out there when talking pocket guns, such as " not enough power" ect bla bla.

But, when you look at what a " pocket pistol" is, it is not, I repeat, not a weapon intended for combat. It is a " get off me" gun. It is meant to be carried in the pocket, and used at close range to give the user room, or, oppurtunity to get away to safety.

One does not intend to engage in shoot outs or other such nonsensical fantasies as the tin foil warrior can conjure up in his worst paranormic nightmare. It is simply a piece of convenience, a compromise if you will, that one drops into the pocket.
    Absolutely, I like you call them "a get off me gun" or simply a "gut gun"... cuz if'n I need it, all I plan to do is draw it, and shot you in the gut as many times as I can, from a distance of 3 or so feet.

I've seen more than enough combat in my lifetime to know to run-like-hell if I get the chance.

I found that while an LCP is probably one of the easiest guns to hide, it's not that easy to shoot. Mine never was reliable. I since moved on to a j-frame and have never looked back.

If we're gonna classify pocket guns as 'get off me' guns et al, then remember that pressing that auto loader up against someone may cause it to go out of battery.

Malfunction clearing was also difficult for me with the LCP.
    hazard123 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links