Can I hear your arguments for and or against an inch difference in size...

This is a discussion on Can I hear your arguments for and or against an inch difference in size... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Springfield Armory - Introducing the XD(M) Polymer Handgun Of course I am referring to the new weapon I am set on being a Springfield Armory ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Can I hear your arguments for and or against an inch difference in size...

Can I hear your arguments for and or against an inch difference in size...

Springfield Armory - Introducing the XD(M) Polymer Handgun

Of course I am referring to the new weapon I am set on being a Springfield Armory XDm either 4.5 (standard/full) or 3.8 (compact).

There is an inch difference in height and length...I am asking if this is a drastic difference or not.

As for my frame/build if it comes up, I am 6'4" and 300+++ built like your average NCAA/NFL offensive lineman.

I like carrying my 1911 (ruger) and of the two guns I own it is the best I shoot but I'm looking for higher capacity and lighter weight, maybe it works out a better conceal.

If you have nothing to argue for or against the above.

I'm also looking for maybe an LCR or another .38special to leave in a special place so when my mother calls me again and says

"there's someone out there in the woods, I can offer her an immediate solution. Arguments for or against such are also welcome. Thanks in advance. You guys and gals are always knowledgeable and helpful.

2. Remove Ads

At my size - 5'9 - 170 - lean - there would be a world of difference. Honestly, at your size there's probably very little difference.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

A gun is supposed to be comforting..... not comfortable.......shoot the one your most accurate with.

My wife notices! ! Lol!
    yooperdug likes this.

Oh...here we go again!....
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    A gun is supposed to be comforting..... not comfortable.......shoot the one your most accurate with.
    My Glocks are comfortable, comforting, and accurate.
    hazard123 and Guest1 like this.

Rollo - it's good to hear from you, man.

To the OP: If your objective is concealed carry, then smaller is easier. Not necessarily better, but easier.

What I like about the Ruger SR9c is that with the 10 rd magazine it's very compact and easy to wear, but with the 17 rd mag it feels and operates just like a full-size SR9. These are questions you have to answer for yourself.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

As mentioned to everyone, choose the one that's easiest for you to carry concealed and fits your hand the best - after that, it's simply lots of practice to get proficient with whatever you decide to carry.

Personally, I'm always a bit leery of any "new" model that comes out regardless of who makes it since they haven't had enough time for a "real world" test to find any inherent bugs or weaknesses that get cured up later. I don't care to be any manufacturer's "guinea pig" by trusting my life to something that hasn't been proven by the test of time yet.

If you're looking at polymer guns, perhaps check out the Glocks before making a decision since they've already passed the real world test very well for many years.

Not sure I'd vote for hiding a gun somewhere for your mom because it could easily be more dangerous for her than for any "booger in the woods" (or in the house) if she hasn't had a lot of training and practice with it. If she doesn't know how to use it and unfamiliar with everything about it, you may as well hide a cocked bear trap for her to either accidently find or to pick up after you told her where it was and she knew nothing about handling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    At my size - 5'9 - 170 - lean - there would be a world of difference. Honestly, at your size there's probably very little difference.
    totally agree. To the average sized dude, length is not really an issue as much as height. Length is only issue if it digs in when you sit down or something of the like. But someone your size could carry a full size anything and still conceal it. :)

VIP Member
    That's what...um...HE said. To her.
    Mattmann likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

If you can conceal a 1911 you should be able to conceal the XDM with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I think the legion of gun manufacturers selling the heck out of small and light CCW pieces would disagree with ol Clint.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    If your thin 1911 is comfortable, reliable, and you shoot it well, stay with it. Just carry a couple extra mags. If you want another gun, the XDM would be a good choice. Lucky being robust, you could probably hide a couple of others, too.

I think grandma would do better shooting 38's out of a 3" SP101. Take her to a class, get her a permit, and go shooting with her. When you have a gun, it's good to know how and when to use it.
    mr surveyor likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    The longer sight radius should give you better accuracy

VIP Member
    The shorter bbl comes out of the holster faster. The slide is easy to conceal, no matter the length. The grip is the problem.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links