I expect Glock to phase out the gen 3...

This is a discussion on I expect Glock to phase out the gen 3... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm holding out for a Gen IV 21...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: I expect Glock to phase out the gen 3...

I'm holding out for a Gen IV 21
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    How can I tell what generation my G23 is? What are the indicators? I bought the gun in December of 2008.
    This is a VERY tricky process...like sexing young chickens.
    Send your Glock to me...postage paid (include return postage)...I will do ALL the necessary processing to check for the correct 'generation'.
    The checking and testing can take up to a year or two, but I guarantee my work...I will send the Glock back to you with my answer.

if you get overloaded I would be glad to help
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbergsing View Post
    Interesting thread. I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm going to be purchasing a G19 for the wife next Friday. And I am torn between the Gen3 and Gen4.

-------------------
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a slave.
    I bought a Gen 4 G19 and never had any issues at all. Perfect performance.
    Walden likes this.

I don't know how valid it is, but I've read in several places that the Gen 4 is not California approved.

If this is true, they will continue to make a Gen 3.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I don't know how valid it is, but I've read in several places that the Gen 4 is not California approved.

If this is true, they will continue to make a Gen 3.
    The gen 4 is not approved presently. But if a gen 3 is approved, why would the gen 4 not eventually be approved? The gen 4s work just like the gen 3s and have the same safety features.

It seems unlikely that Glock would produce gen 3s for California and gen 4s for the rest of the world.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have two gen 3 Glocks and love them. Wish I could get a gen 4 G20 just to have something a little different. Wonder when they will come out with a gen 4 G20?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    I have two gen 3 Glocks and love them. Wish I could get a gen 4 G20 just to have something a little different. Wonder when they will come out with a gen 4 G20?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    Hang in there - I don't have 'insider' info, but the G20 is coming! Glock now has the G21 in gen 4. How far away can a G20 be?

It's good that someone brings a perspective,without a bias,are Glocks flawless,NO<and I have a love for this sidearm beyond any other.
    So can I say other guns are a dependable,yes,would I trust my life with any thing else if I could'nt have a glock,yes and I did,in some of the worse conditions,But M92's do not like sweat or sand,and on my 2nd t.o.d I took my own G21.I did everything with this weapon,even shower with it.
    I shoot a lot of IDPA,I bought one of the first gen4 G17's my lgs got,it has thousands of flawless rounds through it,and if I wanted to C.C. this gun I would not hesitate.Are there probs with Glocks ,Yes,will they fix it,Yes,is it hurting their rep,Yes,and I think it is because they are more popular now more than ever before.

But,this also is a good reason to know your weapon,and train,train,train,weapons fail,at the worst possible time,this is not Hollywood,practice your failure drills everytime you have a chance,people always tell me in classes,"My gun has never Failed",and I say what about your ammo,what if for some reason it does'nt go bang,it's not always the weapon!
    DRM likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks Glockrocker. I'm hearing more and more comments like yours about gen 4s flawless performance. I know some don't like it, just as some didn't like the gen 2s and gen 3s, but the gen 4s are here, and they are here to stay.

There are some problematic gen 4s out there but they will be fixed, Glock CS is probably heads and shoulders above the rest, check out this from another site:

Gen3 G30SF and I had the day off so I thought I'd drive to Smyrna and let them check my gun to see if they could stop it from ejecting brass into my face. Not a long trip for me, about an hour. Drop the gun off with the tech and he said wait or come back in an hour. I got back in 2 hours after finding Outdoor Adventures new location and walking around in there for an hour. So I get back to Glock Inc. and the tech that had been working on my gun had left for the day. Another tech met me in the lobby and told me thet were going to give me a new gun!!!!!! He said it would ship to my address in 1 week. I wonder what they found. Thats great customer service right there. Plus got a few goodies for my troubles. Hat, annnual, patch, pens, decal, and a coffee cup. We'll see what I get in a week. It will be a cool Birthday next Saturday, I already know I'm getting a new gun!

Well it was delivered to my doorstep today! A brand spanking new 3Gen G30sf, blue label no less and they even added night sights. I immeadiately took it to my local range and ran 100 rounds through it. All brass ejected to 4~5 oclock consistantly. Not one piece to my face. Needless to say I'm a happy camper and Glock has redeemed itself in my book. One odd thing though, the serial number on the new gun starts with RPL. I wonder if that means replacement?
    While Qlock's QA may have dipped, I believe through design and manufacturing refinements, Glock's QA will come back up to what we expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    The gen 4 is not approved presently. But if a gen 3 is approved, why would the gen 4 not eventually be approved? The gen 4s work just like the gen 3s and have the same safety features.

It seems unlikely that Glock would produce gen 3s for California and gen 4s for the rest of the world.
    My reading was this from another forum:
    The Gen4 Glocks have too many internal changes for Glock to get them listed via the exemption they used to get the SF & RTF2 Glocks listed. They will need to have a CA DOJ approved chamber load indicator and a magazine disconnect.
    Gen 4's are available for LE in Cali.

Maybe Gaston is tired of paying California's extortion fees?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I bought a Gen 4 G19 and never had any issues at all. Perfect performance.
    Same here. It was my first handgun (bought it on my 21st birthday 2 months ago) and it has been everything I could want from a gun. 1200 rounds, only 2 failures due to bad primers. So I guess that's 1198 rounds with ZERO problems. Everyone I know with an updated Gen4 9mm has had no problems. Just check at your gun store that they're giving you the 0-4-3 RSA and the 30274 ejector.

As far as the G19 goes, I'd say that Glock has resolved their issues

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    My reading was this from another forum:Gen 4's are available for LE in Cali.

Maybe Gaston is tired of paying California's extortion fees?
    As are some other manufacturers!

From what you quoted that didn't show up here, it sounds like a grandfather thing. Perhaps the gen 3s were approved and then stipulations added for new guns. It sounds like Glock may have applied for CA approval under the gen 3 approval and CA declined.

Actually, there are internal changes in the gen 4, but it's still exactly the same safety features etc. I think CA just wants a magazine disconnect. Gen 3 and Gen 4s have a chamber loaded indicator.

I guess I'm OK if they stop making the gen3's as long as they stop stamping GEN 4 on the new ones.....
    "I can show you how to make a bomb out of a roll of toilet paper and a stick of dynamite." Dale Gribble

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gen3 View Post
    I guess I'm OK if they stop making the gen3's as long as they stop stamping GEN 4 on the new ones.....
    Awwww man, you want the gen 4 stamped on it - that's the elitism factor.

I concur that the Gen 3's will be discontinued and I firmly believe that the Gen 4 problems will be corrected and most people will still recognize the reliability of Glocks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links