I expect Glock to phase out the gen 3...

This is a discussion on I expect Glock to phase out the gen 3... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize some will dread hearing this, but it seems almost inevitable based on Glock's history. E.g., do they still manufacture gen 1's? No, gen ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: I expect Glock to phase out the gen 3...

Senior Moderator

I expect Glock to phase out the gen 3...

I realize some will dread hearing this, but it seems almost inevitable based on Glock's history. E.g., do they still manufacture gen 1's? No, gen 2's replaced them. Do they still manufacture gen 2s? No, gen 3's replaced them.

I can't say when it will happen, and this is conditional - once the gen 4s are debugged, and they may be already with problem guns being updated as they appear, but based on Glocks history, I can't see them producing both gen 3s AND gen 4s very long.

I can remember the transition from the gen 2 to the gen 3 - you've never heard so much yap about finger grooves, rails, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", "I'll take a gen 2 anyday", etc. You would have thought the end of the world was coming. Where did all that go? It went to, "Who needs a new shiney gen 4", "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.", "I'll take my gen 3 over any gen 4", etc. Sound familiar?

But do you realize the accepted model now? It's the gen 3. Of course there are some that still have and still prefer the gen 2 and there's nothing wrong with that, but the generally accepted 'bar' for Glocks is the gen 3. It's funny. If you watch remarks with regard to the gen 3, you'd think it is the best of the best and Glock couldn't possibly make it better - kinda like the sentiment when Glock transitioned from the gen 2 to the gen 3.

To hear some tell it, the gen 4 is the worst model yet, kinda like what was said about the gen 3, especially with those awful finger grooves and rails.

I have to admit that I wondered why the gen 4 until I realized it was to compete. Every polymer gun has adjustable grips. Glock didn't. Every polymer gun and almost all metal guns have either reversible mag releases or ambi mag releases - Glock didn't. Every polymer gun has a better grip texture than Glock gen 3s. I believe these shortcomings of the gen 3 cost Glock some LE contracts and they had no choice to respond with the gen 4. So how good/bad is the gen 4.

Well, in spite of the rumor mills and gun boards, the gen 4 is going through, or may have already been through, a refinement period. During this period problems are discovered and Glock is fixing them. They've had RSA problems, extractor and ejector problems, etc. But all of this is just a transient period. Remember when the Gen 2 G22s were battering the frame? Remember when the gen 3s had frame rail breakages?

Glock will not leave the gen 4s in a problematic state. Any gen 4 that doesn't operate reliably will be fixed. New guns will be updated with the latest fixes and parts. They will become as reliable as gen 3s. But so what, is there something a gen 4 can do that a gen 3 can't? Yes!

I'm sure the same question was asked when the new kid on the block was the gen 3. The gen 4 is everything a gen 3 is and more. It has a smaller grip, two backstraps, a much improved trigger bar trigger spring interface, reversible mag release, and a better texture on the grip. I'm suspicious that new dual recoil spring was not designed to cut corners since it surely costs more to produce than a single spring assembly. So I suspect there may be some advantages to the dual coil spring. At a time where it's popular to mindlessly parrot the cut cost, cut corners, etc. here's a direct conflict with that mentality. Glock actually took a more expensive route - why?

I'm glad to see Glock didn't just bury it's head in the sand and ignore the fact that their gen 3s were less competitive and did something about it.

Yes, Glock has had some intro problems. Check out the stickys and tell me which manufacturer hasn't? But these problems will pass, the gen 4 will be accepted, in fact it's already been chosen by the Osceola County, Florida LE for it's 400 deputies.

One day we'll hear this same dread-talk over the gen 5 and how much better the gen 4 is - well, if history repeats itself.
    OD*, Guest1, Fitch and 3 others like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm sure they'll work the bugs out, and yes, most of us will live to complain about Gen5 and have to remind ourselves that Gen4 was a hated release too.

Although I've seen other manufacturers step up their game in the polymer market while Glock sorts themselves out. I'm not sure Glock will keep their religious following and advantage as they have in the past. I have no plans on picking up anymore polymer in the near future, but when I do, I'll likely go with an M&P just to give it a whirl.

Senior Moderator
    Well, we sometimes make it sound like Glock is having problems no one else is having, but speaking of M&Ps, they had problems of magazines falling out, sight inserts falling off, sear bounce, and a number of other problems I can't recall. While this was going on, we saw the very same thing - "I'll stick to my Glock thank you" attitude.

Now Glock is having similar issues with a new intro and what are we hearing? "I'll never buy another Glock again"; "I'm going with an M&P" What a turn around in a short period of time.

I'm not denying Glock is having problems, but they'll get them resolved just like S&W did with the M&Ps.

I've looked at everything available right now and when I wanted a .40 S&W, there was only one gun that I was interested in - the G22 Gen 4. I bought it, I like it, I'll shoot it and see if I have issues, if I do I know Glock will fix it.
    JD likes this.

I'll still take a gen 2 over a gen 3 or 4 any day of the week.
    candalos likes this.

OD*
    I like my Gen4 (well, as much as I can like a Glock ).
    JD likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Kinda reminds me to never, ever, buy a new model gun from ANY maker the first year it is out.
    DRM likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Kinda reminds me to never, ever, buy a new model gun from ANY maker the first year it is out.
    That does seem to be the 'new' rule doesn't it.

One poster put it to this effect, that Glock nor any other manufacturer can afford to do the same degree of testing that gets done in the 'public labs', i.e. by the customers.

Like you say, NEVER buy a new model from ANY manufacturer.

But, it's not all bad. Here are just a few quotes from some Glock owners:

"I own both a gen 3 and 4 and they both have been 100% reliable."

"I like Glock 22 a lot. Ive had them in gen 2, 3 and 4 (gen4 is my favorite and only G22 I have left) I liked it enough that I got him a little brother gen4 G23"

"actually trading in my gen4 22 for a gen4 21 today"

How can I tell what generation my G23 is? What are the indicators? I bought the gun in December of 2008.
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

Senior Moderator
    Gen 1 & 2s don't have finger grooves or rails; Gen 3's have finger grooves and rails; gen 4s have gen 4 stamped on the slide plus it has a huge hole in the end of the slide to accommodate the much larger recoil spring of the gen 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Gen 1 & 2s don't have finger grooves or rails; Gen 3's have finger grooves and rails; gen 4s have gen 4 stamped on the slide plus it has a huge hole in the end of the slide to accommodate the much larger recoil spring of the gen 4.
    Great thanks...I guess I have a Gen 3.
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

I like them all, Glocks that is. Regardless of generation.
    blitzburgh and RonCo like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Oh...don't forget the Gen 3.5 (RTF2) I have 3 of them: 19, 22 & 23.
    DRM likes this.
    Proud NRA member

I got my four gen 3 glocks. Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    How can I tell what generation my G23 is? What are the indicators? I bought the gun in December of 2008.
    This is a VERY tricky process...like sexing young chickens.
    Send your Glock to me...postage paid (include return postage)...I will do ALL the necessary processing to check for the correct 'generation'.
    The checking and testing can take up to a year or two, but I guarantee my work...I will send the Glock back to you with my answer.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    http://glock.pro/glock-pistols/318-d...locks-pic.html
    DRM likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Interesting thread. I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm going to be purchasing a G19 for the wife next Friday. And I am torn between the Gen3 and Gen4.

-------------------
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a slave.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links