Ruger GP100 vs Glock 20

This is a discussion on Ruger GP100 vs Glock 20 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im considering these two guns for doing some handgun hunting this fall for whitetail deer and also a range and truck gun. I really like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ruger GP100 vs Glock 20

Ruger GP100 vs Glock 20

Im considering these two guns for doing some handgun hunting this fall for whitetail deer and also a range and truck gun. I really like them both. They are about the same price. I reload for both 357 and 10mm. The Glock would probaly be better for carrying as its lighter. But you gotta love a big revolver with a 6" barrel. So which would you choose? I would really like a Glock 29, but the barrel length is not long enough.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

Well I can vouch for the GP as an awesome piece... never fired a 10mm Glock, only.40's. I would think pluses for the GP for hunting would be being able to thumb back the hammer and adjustable rear sights.

Gp100 ....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Revolvers and woods go together like ice cream and applie pies do.

GP100 all the way.
    zacii likes this.

Being a Ruger, it is, unnecessarily big and heavy.
    The g20 is light, more capacity, is bigger bore, and ballistically superior to the 357 in it's heavier loadings.
    If I was going 357, it would be a forged steel frame gun like a S&W.

Choose the one you can continually keep all shots on a pie plate with at 50 yards and beyond from various positions. If you are a new handgun hunter, be honest with yourself and don't cut corners.
    C hawk Glock and Mike1956 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I like both...have shot both, but for hunting, probably the Ruger...a longer barrel.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Depens on where you hunt, Some states limit semi autos to 5 rnds JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    No question about it, take the GP100, far more versatile. After all you can use either 38spl for small game then switch to the 357 for big game.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the Glock 20 at 50 yards?
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    I would go with the 10mm as you reload except for the choices given. So then with no other choices I have to say GP 100.

Some states have a barrel length minimum for hunting handguns, I believe.

If you did go with a .357, you could supplement it with a .357 lever action
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I would vote for the Ruger, rugged, plenty of power, option of single action shot, and when that buck fever shaking starts the extra weight won't be so bad.

Ruger... unless you're in bear country then I vote G20 with a 6" barrel. (they're pretty cheap straight from Glock and add a whole new dimension to 10mm velocities)

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the Glock 20 at 50 yards?
    That's all up to you. I would however, like to suggest you seriously considering a 5 or six inch N frame with full underlug in 44 magnum, as your dedicated hunting handgun. You will not find a more superb hand iron to start out with, and it's one you will not outgrow. The heavier bullet can compensate somewhat better for an off angle shot, and can be downloaded to 1000 fps or so, and make it very pleasent to shoot. Comfort+accuracy= confidence.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    GP100 is a really good revolver. They are probably the most rugged .357 made.
    They are also easy to tune up yourself.

That said, for hunting deer I'd go with a Super RedHawk in .44mag or a BlackHawk in .45 Colt. The BlackHawk can be loaded up to near .44 magnum levels, there are sections in the reloading manuals specifically for that revolver.

My .45 BlackHawk shoots a 255g LSWC at around 1,000 fps. That will go thorugh a deer end to end. and make a big hole. It has custom grips, cylinder throat reamed out to .4515", 5.5" barrel, adjustable sights (windage and elevation) and a wonderful single action trigger. I open carry it for hunting.

If I didn't already own it, I'd go buy it. I love shooting it. Ruger has made some 7-1/2" barrel .45 BlackHawks specifically for hunting. They also make a .44 Magnum Super BlackHawk Hunter.

I spent some range time with a 9" barrel Super RedHawk and fell in love with it. If I were to get another hunting handgun, that would be it. I was having no trouble holding 4" groups with it standing off hand at 50 yards. That thing is almost like a hand held rifle.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links