Consistency in gun types - Glock + XDM question ?

This is a discussion on Consistency in gun types - Glock + XDM question ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 19 G4, use it primarily for CC and love the gun for many reasons. I want a second handgun for bedside ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Consistency in gun types - Glock + XDM question ?

I have a Glock 19 G4, use it primarily for CC and love the gun for many reasons. I want a second handgun for bedside (home defense) and to have something else fun to shoot at range. I am looking at the XDM 4.5 9mm - I like the feel, longer sight and value. Since they are very similar in shooting functions - no extra buttons to click or switchs, rack point and click... do you see any reason to NOT use the XDM ? I know their are differences. I have read that it is best to stay with the same "platform"... These 2 guns seem to be close enough for my use...I think! Input is appreciated.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I love my XDM... mine is the 9mm 3.8" compact version, very reliable out of the box and a great shooter.

Senior Moderator
    Yjt0189,

There are two things that are different enough to be problematic - maybe. One is the grip angle. Glocks have a unique grip angle and once one truly acclimates to it, one generally shoots low when shooting a non-glock gun. However, and this is where the maybe comes in, if you are just range shooting you shouldn't have a problem. If you start doing draws and other drills that have muscle memory as an integral part of the motion, then the grip angle will make a difference.

The other thing is the trigger. The Glock trigger has a much shorter reset. IF you train to that reset, then there's that muscle memory thing again. IF one trains to release to reset on a Glock, as stress levels go up, there's a good chance he'll short stroke the longer reset triggers. Again, on the range, not a problem - in a SD situation - not good.

Then, I suspect there are few people that own/carry a Glock that don't have one or two non-Glock guns. So while there are some issues, it's kinda like, be it good or bad, "everybody is doing it".
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yjt0189 View Post
    I have a Glock 19 G4, use it primarily for CC and love the gun for many reasons. I want a second handgun for bedside (home defense) and to have something else fun to shoot at range. I am looking at the XDM 4.5 9mm - I like the feel, longer sight and value. Since they are very similar in shooting functions - no extra buttons to click or switchs, rack point and click... do you see any reason to NOT use the XDM ? I know their are differences. I have read that it is best to stay with the same "platform"... These 2 guns seem to be close enough for my use...I think! Input is appreciated.
    I'd go with a Glock 17 or 34 Gen 4 (when the 34 comes out) in your situation. You keep the same exact manual of arms, you can easily set the guns up with identical triggers and sights. You also gain magazine interchangeability. In some holster designs, they can even use the same holster.

My IDPA "game gun" is a Gen 3 34. My EDC is a Gen 3 19. I have the same trigger setup in each (i.e. the game gun has a carry trigger, not some super-light race gun trigger), and I am going to standardize the sights on both once I settle on a set I like. I am trying out some Talon skate tape grips on the 34, and if I like them I'll install them on the 19.

I think there is a lot of benefit to staying with the same platform when possible.

Matt
    Tangle and kmagnuss like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    The following is simply my opinion and is not meant to wet on anyone's wheaties.

For many people sticking to one weapon type is the way to go. Simple, direct, to the point, one system and master it. This situation requires less thought process when the time comes you have to use your weapon in a real life situation.

Others including myself carry different weapons based on the situation be it what we are wearing or where we are going and do not feel hindered in any way. For some it is simply a choice I want to carry X today instead of Y, however the problem comes in when they have not trained with X or mastered it but still want to carry it for whatever reason.

Get what you want and train with it. I think you will find that it really won't make that much difference.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I keep a Glock for HD / personally, I do not think it really matters, I know what I have when I pick it up..... I carry a couple of platforms for ccw, including a 40XDsc , also have a 1911 that I sometimes carry, and will be going to a smaller gun this summer....... I know when I am at home at night that when I pick the glock up, and I have several times out where I live, to go n put the light/laser on a varmit that freaked the dog out, exactly what I have in my hand and what it is capable of.
    I also on the same note, when carryin a 1911 platform, do any kind of drills, practice, ect, always know that there is a thumb safety.....
    I think it all boils down to being familiar with your weapons..... I usually shoot a minimum of 4 when practicing.....and not always the same ones.... that is just my $.02
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I have a Glock 19 and a Kahr CM9 and it doesn't take much adjustment. I find the adjustment between the Glocks and XD's even less except for the grip angle. Good luck and happy shooting.

mkh
    I would not be too concerned though as someone pointed out you may shoot differently with the two guns. I am more of a "same manual of arms" type meaning that you shouldn't be switch between a gun with a safety like the 1911 has and a gun with no active safety like the Glock or XDs which have passive safeties. You really want the firing sequence to be the same between the guns.

Of course this philosophy can be mitigated if you are a really experienced shooter with lots of trigger time on the different guns. That experience level varies from person to person so only you know if you are at that level.

sgb
    Sticking to one platform is a smart thing to do.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If you like it, get whatever you want and enjoy it, even if you do have to alter a bit of the "muscle memory" to do so. Just because I wear loafers a lot doesn't mean I can't tie my sneakers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    tango's got it precisely, from my point-of-view, too.

Regarding the grip-angle, some people have a problem, others don't - it's as simple as that.

Although ranges offering XDms for rent is still less-common, you can typically find one that rents the XD. The grip angle and manual-of-arms between those two are the same, and you should be able to draw a valid conclusion from that experience.

Remember that when you're shooting on a static range, as long as your fundamentals are correct, your shots will be exactly where you want them to be, so the grip-angle issue may not be readily apparent. You'll need to specifically look for this discrepancy, then, by being a bit more dynamic in your handling - for me, the simple act of coming out of a holster or even going from the low-compressed-ready to full lock-out is enough to elicit my issue with the Glock's factory grip-angle.

Again, while this is among one of the biggest reasons people cite for their difficulties with Glocks, it's definitely one that is very much a "unique individual" thing. You may or may not be affected by it.

I am one of the ones that do not have a problem with the grip angle of the glock. I keep a Gen4 Glock22 attached with an Insight M6 Laser/light combo and Springfield Armory XDM 45 at my beside every night 24/7 365. The triggers on both weapons have a very similar feel to me. Both are extremely accurate & reliable as far as I am concerned and I have not had one iota of trouble out of either one.

I would suggest staying within the same platform simply for the ability to swap parts and to be able to share mags and even some holsters. But if you like the XD, I am sure you could trade your Glock 19 for an XD and convert to one platform. You aren't too heavily invested in one platform over another.

XDm factory sights are horrible. I have just what you speak of: an XDm 4.5 9mm. The rear sight notch is very narrow. I had them replaced with Trijicon HDs. Whole different gun. My times have improved dramatically. In fact, of all the guys at our shoots, most are running XDms, and all but two guys have replaced the factory sights. With good sights, the XDm is an oustanding gun. With factory sights, you will be hunting the front.

I have a decent amount of range time on both glocks and the XD/XDM. I like them both and as mentioned I don't just shoot primarily glocks. When I go to the range I usually go up with at least 3 pistols. Glock (whichever model/size I decide for that day), my xd40SC to run some drills since it's my primary CC, and usually a revolver or two. If I plan on making a day of it I'll go up with 10 different guns. The glock and the xd have a really different grip angle to them. I notice I shoot spot on with the xd where as I'm low but dead center with the glock my first mag through it. Some days I adjust automatically others I have to see how crappy I'm shooting to remember to switch my mindset to the other gun.

Personally just to go out and shoot I like the XDM best as my range gun. It's smooth and I can put round after round through it and have never once had any issues. No jams or feed problems even with the crappiest reloads. Oh and I forgot to mentions I am running MEPs on my XDM, XD SC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links