New S&W 38 Bodyguard

This is a discussion on New S&W 38 Bodyguard within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very nice, I have have been considering one of those to go with my 642....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New S&W 38 Bodyguard

Very nice, I have have been considering one of those to go with my 642.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks everyone! I took it to the range again today and put another hundred and fifty rounds through it. I gotta say that this thing is really growing on me pretty fast.

It handles recoil much better than my other Smith's. I know I've already said that, but it does by such a significant amount I can't help sing its praise. I'd go so far as to say that it's actually a pleasure to shoot... Regarding the laser. I understand what everyone is saying about its practical use on a defensive firearm, but as you can see by the picture below, I'm not totally relying on the laser on its own.

The white paint really makes the front sight pickup incredibly fast all by it self, but the laser IMO does have a significant use as well. In some defense situations while pocket carrying the laser could easily be actuated while still holstered, or in the pocket and if drawn, it's on and ready. In that sense, it's worth its weight in gold IMO. I say that because, there are times when I feel the small lightweight pocket blaster loses it appeal if there happens to be more than a couple of attackers (heaven forbid it ever happens). Even with the best reloading skills, with the exception of maybe (Jerry Miculek ) it gives up a slight too moderate tactacial advantage to the auto loader as it relates to reloads. For that reason alone I usually find myself carrying an auto as a primary, and one of my snubs as a BUG. I may or may not have mentioned it in the past, but I hate the whole BUG theory. One of my biggest reasons would be; and I'm not sure if this would actually happen or not, but; Say you are carrying two firearms and you're involved in a shooting. It sounds reasonable enough that the responding officers would confiscate any and all firearms at the scene meaning, both of yours will be going for a ride with the officers and you'll be down a couple instead of the one that was actually used in the shooting. Again, I have no information to back that theory up, but again, it sounds reasonable enough during the investigation. That's the main reason, but the other is comfort. I've been carrying for a long time and in that time I have carried everything short of the Desert Eagle and depending on what it is and how heavy, or bulky it is, it just might get stowed, and IMO off body carry is just a tad bit above unarmed.

Anyway, sorry for going off on the tangent..

Once again, the addition of the laser IMO kinda helps even the playing field a tad when it comes to round count and multiple assailants. If it can be deployed and used to assist in shot placement, the spot on first shot "could" make all the difference in the world.

Here's another pic of the bad-boy and after three hundred rounds it moves to the head of the pack as far as carry revolvers goes.

Now, to go clean all the guns that I took to the range over the last three days.

Cheers!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

GBK - Glad you're liking your new revolver!

I say carry two, and if they get taken into evidence, so be it. Main point is that you survive. You can always get another gun.

Carrying two solves many of the trade-offs inherent in both semi autos and revolver design. Run out of ammo in your revolver? Use your other gun. Primary gun malfs? Use your other gun. Injure a hand, or can't get to your primary? Use your other gun.

Carrying two means its own set of trade-offs, of course. I know some folks carry two Glock 19s, but for most of us, that is a bit much. After much trial and error (mostly error ) I've found that the best solution (for me) which balances comfort, firepower, redundancy, ambidextrous access, concealment, etc is dual pocket carry. PM9 (or LCP in some clothes) on the right, LCP on the left.

It took some doing - had to downsize my Costanza wallet, and put it in my rear pocket. Keys and cell phone had to find a home on my belt. But I have to say, it is a good overall balance for me. And I really like being able to have a firing grip on my sidearm, discretely, in those iffy situations...without risking escalating things. Even on duty, I carry my G26 in a pocket - I can stand there talking with someone, and be instantly ready if things go south. I've done it many times.

I actually just took some pants to a tailor, to have the front right pocket deepened and squared off. That helps make sure the PM9 does not peek out at the top of the pocket. Works well, and only cost me $10 per pair.

I have done some OWB carry of my G19 of late, but only in certain circumstances on the weekend when I can dress around it. It's comfortable enough, except when driving. I ordered up a G30 as well, to try out .45 ACP. Will probably mostly be used for home defense and on-duty use, however - just like my G19. During the week at my "day job" I need to be more discreet.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Bottom line is that you can make carrying two guns work, and it does not need to be uncomfortable.

Take care!

Whoops, sorry - forgot to add: If you like the laser on your BG38, you will be blown away by Crimson Trace lasers. It's no secret I am a big fan of lasers, and after using many different designs, I have to say they are the best - mainly because you just grip the gun normally, and they go on. No need to press a button under stress.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have a question concerning the bodyguard and the lcr, which one of two feels best in hand, it seems to me the bodyguard would have a better purchase in the hand, the lcr seems short?? thanks. Congrats on the pistol, I have narrowed my search to the lcr 357 or bodyguard 38...

I just picked up a new Bodyguard revolver for my wife today. I took her out last week and she must of looked at 30 or forty new and used wheel guns. When she picked up the BG she new instantly that it was the one. I have small hands and it felt good to me too. I don't have a holster yet, but I dropped it in the pocket of my shorts and it just disappeared. Should be very easy to conceal. We haven't shot it yet, but it sure appears to be well made.

The two things I think could be improved are the trigger pull and the laser switch.

From what I've read online the internal design is completely different than other j-frames so the trigger kits available for those guns won't fit. Surely in the future there will be some aftermarket improvements available.

I find the laser switch a little finicky and poorly placed. My wife on the other hand has no problem picking it up and activating the laser as she brings it to firing position.

I'm going to load it up with wadcutters for practice and carry. Today I bought a box of 125gr swc and I have half a box of 158gr left from a rental. I still need some 147gr. She can try all three and see where her tolerance for recoil and comfort is.

My wife has carried a LC9 however wrist problems are making it very hard to pull the slide back. I bought her the S&W Body Guard today not only a fine weapon but it was a fair value.439.00 not bad when the Taurus M85 without the laser was selling for 304.00. When you do the math the S&W sold for about the same as the Taurus.

wdp
    I am new to this forum. I just picked up a BG38 as an alternate carry to my Glock G30. My GF has small hands and can't rack the slide on the Glock or nearly any auto so the Smitty made perfect sence. Out of the box it's very lightweight and to me has an amazing trigger pull. I too find the laser interesting but as others have mantioned the Crimson Trace would have been a better option. I have one on my G30 an there's no buttons to activate. I didn't buy the gun for the laser, I just thought the overall package was well built. The cylinder release is also an interesting ambi design. This should make the lefties happy but die hard smith fans and users might balk at the unconventional design. My only complaint with this gun is the grip and the attach point. The grip does not seem rock solid and does have an ever so slight movement. Wondering if anyone else can confirm this point. There's no external screw to tighten and this worries me over the long haul if the grip will work its way free.

Quote Originally Posted by wdp View Post
    I am new to this forum. I just picked up a BG38 as an alternate carry to my Glock G30. My GF has small hands and can't rack the slide on the Glock or nearly any auto so the Smitty made perfect sence. Out of the box it's very lightweight and to me has an amazing trigger pull. I too find the laser interesting but as others have mantioned the Crimson Trace would have been a better option. I have one on my G30 an there's no buttons to activate. I didn't buy the gun for the laser, I just thought the overall package was well built. The cylinder release is also an interesting ambi design. This should make the lefties happy but die hard smith fans and users might balk at the unconventional design. My only complaint with this gun is the grip and the attach point. The grip does not seem rock solid and does have an ever so slight movement. Wondering if anyone else can confirm this point. There's no external screw to tighten and this worries me over the long haul if the grip will work its way free.
    I have not notice any issue with the grips on the wifes I shot the heck out of it. I am going to high light the front post or replace it to make it stand out a bit more older eyes don't see as well as they once did.38 BodyGuard.JPG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links