New S&W 38 Bodyguard

This is a discussion on New S&W 38 Bodyguard within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a new revolver the other day. After really liking my LCR in .38 and wanting to add another revolver to the carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New S&W 38 Bodyguard

New S&W 38 Bodyguard

Just picked up a new revolver the other day. After really liking my LCR in .38 and wanting to add another revolver to the carry rotation. I decided to give S&W's .38 BG a try and see how it does compared to Rugers excellent hybrid example. What I have found of two day of range time; the jury is still out of the revolver itself, but I'm absolutely sold on the addition of a laser for a self defense handgun.

I used to turn my nose up on the thought of adding a high intensity red light to my SD guns, but not anymore.... In the provided pic below, I put five holes in the forehead of that thing as fast as I could and I honestly can't believe it myself. Now, that was among one the best groupings I made, but there were others that equally impressed me for a snubby at semi rapid fire speed.

Anyway, like I said. The jury is still out on which is a better hybrid revolver, but for now I'll say I'm not disappointed in the Smith in anyway, I'm just battling with the thoughts regarding the drastic build change for this revolver.. I will say that it handles the .38 recoil better than my other Smith J frames, but about the same when it comes to the LCR; the tamer grip on the LCR gives it a huge advantage IMO, but the Smith's polymer grip and lower does help reduce the recoil in its own right. One thing's for sure. The laser sold me so much that I added one to my 638 today and took it to the range to test it out too. Here's a line to the one I installed. LaserlyteSML

It worked just fine and I'm please with it as well, but I noticed that once I was back home it had worked itself lose from the side plate that mounts it to the revolver and I had to adjust and zero it again. No big deal, but JFY if anyone decides to get one; check all the mounting areas before installation.

Here's the pic with a little caption added.

Overall I'd say that, after 150 rounds DR with the S&W BG. It's an excellent revolver for concealed carry. However, I'd be very interested in seeing some testing, just to test its longevity under regular use. It's not like any other S&W revolver out there.

Last edited by gottabkiddin; January 27th, 2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: corrections :blink:
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Good shooting. Is that laser on the Bodyguard activated intuitive or do you have to switch it on?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Wow! Keep us informed. This old dog is still up to learn something else.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Wow. That is good shooting and you are right. One shot would have put the lights out.
    SCGunLover1

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Good shooting. Is that laser on the Bodyguard activated intuitive or do you have to switch it on?
    No, you gotta activate it to use it, but IMO it's still a viable option.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Only viable in select scenarios. I ignore the laser on my S&W .38spl +P BG except for fun. And training.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I agree that a laser is very useful addition to a self defense pistol, but I'm not a fan of the Insight laser on my Bodyguard .380. The activation is horrid and it crapped out in less than 6 months and S&W had to replace it.

I have a rear mounted Crimson Trace for my Glock23 and it's activation is LEAGUES above the Insight laser's.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Revolver = S&W...........always did.

DC
    That is a sweet revolver. In my lust for a small CC gun I've looked at this and the Ruger LCR also for revolvers and Ruger LCP and S&W Bodyguard .380.

Does the Bodyguard .38 fit in the same holsters as your other J-frames?

Congrats on the new Bodyguard. I think they are interesting also, but I'm pretty happy with my LCR's (.38 and .357, and soon to have the .22LR also). Interesting observation about the laser sight. I like how it helps your accuracy, but like others mentioned, I think they would only be of use in certain situations (non life threatening). In a last second SD situation, I doubt you have time or mind to activate it.

Once again, congrats on the new pistol.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    The BG 38 is a tad larger than the J. So you if you do use your BG 38 in your J frame holster, you can not go back to the J.
    I like the BG 38. It is hard for me to choose one over the other, BG or LCR. The BG does have the laser which may be a game changer for some.
    NRA Life Member

Very nice, I am close to buying a new revolver myself, and i might just have to handle one of those.... keep us posted, oh, and one thing ya might wanna think about, when istalling a laser ect, use a touch of locktite on the bolts....will stop the coming loose problem, i would think anyhow...... thanks for sharing..
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Nice shooting! Everybody should own a S&W.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    No, my leather ones conform to it okay wise, but my Serpa does not. The cylinder on the BG is slightly larger than my other JFrames. For me it's not a big deal though, I mainly carry my snubs in a belly band or Smart-carry and even on the ankle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links