new M&P 9c, need some advice on mags

This is a discussion on new M&P 9c, need some advice on mags within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a M&P 9c, will be picking it up on Monday. I plan on using this firearm when taking the MAG-20 course this ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sgb

Thread: new M&P 9c, need some advice on mags

I just purchased a M&P 9c, will be picking it up on Monday.

I plan on using this firearm when taking the MAG-20 course this summer. What are your thoughts on using FS magazines with the X-Grip adaptors when taking this class instead of the shorter mags with the pinkie rests in order to get a better grip on the gun. I'll be shooting approx. 500 rounds over a 2-day period.

I know this is not how I will be doing EDC with it, but it's just to get me through the class. Good or bad idea?

Bill
    NRA Life Member

Bill, I run my 9c both with FS mags and the 12-rounders. No issues. And the FS will probably make for a more fun day during the course.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Fine idea. I EDC my 9c concealed with the 12-round magazine + grip extender, and my spare mag is a full-size with X-Grip.

VIP Member
    If you carry a compact, or sub-compact, and carry full-size spare mags, it only makes sense to train with full-size mags. You should also train with the smaller mags, as these will be your first, and most important, shots.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

sgb
    Train with what you carry. It's the only way you're going to be able to properly evaluate and adjust your kit
    Rollo and DocPMD like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Train with what you carry. It's the only way you're going to be able to properly evaluate and adjust your kit
    +100 to that! If your going to take a class with your EDC then you should carry and shoot exactly what and how you EDC.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPackman View Post
    I just purchased a M&P 9c, will be picking it up on Monday.

I plan on using this firearm when taking the MAG-20 course this summer. What are your thoughts on using FS magazines with the X-Grip adaptors when taking this class instead of the shorter mags with the pinkie rests in order to get a better grip on the gun. I'll be shooting approx. 500 rounds over a 2-day period.

I know this is not how I will be doing EDC with it, but it's just to get me through the class. Good or bad idea?

Bill
    I would train with what you carry. The FS mags do work great though, I use them at the range if I want to mess around. How do you like your M&P? They are solid!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I would train with what you carry. The FS mags do work great though, I use them at the range if I want to mess around. How do you like your M&P? They are solid!
    I'll let you know when I get it and put some rounds thru it, C hawk. Up here in WI, we have a 3 day cooling off period. I bought it yesterday, so I can't pick it up until Monday.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPackman View Post
    I'll let you know when I get it and put some rounds thru it, C hawk. Up here in WI, we have a 3 day cooling off period. I bought it yesterday, so I can't pick it up until Monday.
    Up here we have a cooling off period of about 20 seconds. The time it takes for sales rep to ring up the cash register. LoL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I carry the full size with X-grip as spare when toting the M&P 9C....got the X-grips at Top Gun Supply.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I'd buy more of the compact mags if that's what you're going to carry. Train with what you carry. Get use the the shorter grip, going to the bigger grip in a high stress situation wouldn't cause as big of issue as having to downsize.
    I have the 40c and prefer to have the extended finger grip bases on mine. I ran a 3 day class at TDI Ohio and shot 1100 rounds with 4 10rd mags and never felt like I had a problem keeping up. I didn't shoot as much as the guys with full size mags but my hands didn't hurt as much either. Definably buy a maglula if you're going to a class no matter what mags you run
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Sounds like most of you recommend going with the compact mags. I kinda thought that was going to be the right thing to do but just wanted to here from some more experienced folks. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. BTW, if anyone is in the market for M&P mags, 44mag.com has a great price on them ($24.95/ea). Just leave a few for me.
    NRA Life Member

Links