Ruger LC9 trigger malfunction

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 trigger malfunction within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also have a ruger lc9 with the exact problem.You were lucky. I was only able to fire off 40 rounds. I haven't talked to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC9 trigger malfunction

Ruger malfunction

I also have a ruger lc9 with the exact problem.You were lucky. I was only able to fire off 40 rounds. I haven't talked to Ruger yet. Have you talked to your dealer? I was going to see about a refund. My gun is only 3 weeks old. I just havent had time to return it. My friend also bought a ruger 1911 style and he can only use it as a single shot. The ejector tab is to tight on his. I am really starting to wonder abought Ruger products.

2. Remove Ads

Madrock, I called Ruger direct. They were very helpful, and really easy to work with. Within an hour they'd emailed me a UPS return postage label, and I sent it on it's way this afternoon. They say turnaround time is 10-15 days. We'll see after that.

I'll be surprised if you can get a refund. I think your best bet is to let Ruger fix it. Then you can sell it, if you still don't trust it.

Ruger LC9 Broken Trigger
    See my thread above... I had the same thing happen the first time I took it to the range. I did not get 40 rounds though the weapon. It took Ruger 15 working days to get it repaired then it was in the air back to me! Turn around nearly a month. Now that I can see this is happening to a few people I almost feel better knowing that it was not just my bad luck. Ruger has to be loosing money on these repairs because the weapon has to travel overnight or 2nd day air because UPS does not want weapons in their system any longer then they have too and it is expensive shipping with those two meathods. I am starting to wonder if there is a quality control issue with this model. The problem was a broken spring. HOwever, with all that said I do really like the weapon and use it EDC.
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

And as the saying goes...I hate to say it, and you all hate to hear it...and it has always been true for me...and I live in denial of it so many times...but..."You get what you pay for."
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    That's why I carry a back up gun. Any gun can have a malfunction at any time. Working at Gun Shops for over a Decade I have seen all makes can have problems.

Happened to the LCP. Had to send it back to Ruger.

I had the exact same problem with my LC9 right before Christmas at around 150 rounds. Ruger CS was great and had it back to me about three weeks later. Obviously would rather have a reliable gun than rely on great CS. Employee at the range said it happened to their rental LC9 constantly and they just decided to stop renting it out.

I have 200 or so rounds since it's been back and no problems.

I had an LCP that was a one shot gun......it would stovepipe the second round like clockwork.
    I asked a gun smith at the range about that problem, and he asked if he could look at it.
    He took it apart in the back room and brought it back fixed in about 5 minutes.....it had a burr on the extractor rod, according to him.
    Cost me nothing and it works everytime, like the new gun that it is.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    My guess is a spring's busted.
    My buddy had the same thing happen on his glock 35,but he has put thousands of rounds downrange,ordered him a new spring and will install it at our next range session
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Last year I bought a Mark III that had trigger problems.Had to push the trigger back to the front just fire it.The idiots at the gun store told me I would have to pay to ship this brand new gun back to Ruger and get the problem fixed myself. after three days of fussing with them they finaly saw the light and traded it out for another one. I will never buy anything else from them.( By them I mean that gun store. I have no problem with Ruger and I own two of them the Mark III and a lcp and like them both.)

It makes me wonder how hard it is to do simple parts replacement.

Ok, I know, there's no such animal as simple parts replacement. But I learned on my car, and on my bikes, how to do the basics as well as how to know when I'm out of my league. Is working on pistols the same thing?

I wonder if I ought to buy one just to tear it apart and see how hard it is to fix it...

Got the LC9 back today. They replaced the firing pin, hammer return spring, and a few other parts.

They said they fired 28 rounds without an issue. I'm taking it to the range this weekend to put a couple hundred rounds through it myself. We'll see what happens....

It is a quick fix. The mickey mouse trigger spring slipped off the pin and just needed to be reset. It is one of the many reasons why my LC9 did not last in my collection and I sold it off.

Azchevy, are you saying it happened more than once with your LC9? I'd hate for this to be a recurring thing....

That and light primer strikes.... to be honest. I first noticed the spring when I dis-assembled the weapon to remove the magazine safety and I can see how it can slip off. Some have had trouble reinstalling or did it incorrectly it while performing this process. I had no faith in the weapon as a concealed carry piece that I would someday possibly have to depend my life upon so I sold it after Ruger fixed the light primer strike issue. I own a few rugers and I recommend them 100%, but not this one.

From my (limited) research, it appears that a very small percentage of LC9's have issues with quality control. Most of 'em work just fine after Ruger replaces whatever went wonky.

I figure if I can put 200-300 rounds through it without a problem, it's as reliable as one can expect. Since I'm waiting on my CCDW right now, it's not a piece of machinery I'm currently trusting my life to. I should have a few more weeks to test it out and see if I'm confident in it enough to carry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links